Review Cats defeat demons by 28 points

Remove this Banner Ad

just had a read of the other top 8 club boards... boy they were very frustrated and upset that we won. Everybody wanted melbourne to come down and spank us... caused alot of discomfort and insecurity seeing us win in the dominant fashion we did.

Carlton board and collingwood richmond boards rooting very heavily to get melbourne over the line, to the point they had to turn their tv's off or mute them before the final result.

I think this game was sized up by alot of these fans as "exposing geelong".... how it rattled cages the result

just had a read of the other top 8 club boards... boy they were very frustrated and upset that we won. Everybody wanted melbourne to come down and spank us... caused alot of discomfort and insecurity seeing us win in the dominant fashion we did.

Carlton board and collingwood richmond boards rooting very heavily to get melbourne over the line, to the point they had to turn their tv's off or mute them before the final result.

I think this game was sized up by alot of these fans as "exposing geelong".... how it rattled cages the result
Aye...warms the heart don't it.

Kolo on McKay? You’re joking? He’d get absolutely slaughtered. He’s not tall enough. Aside from Blicavs we don’t have an ideal matchup for him at this stage. DeKoning is still light on body size but if he avoids one on one wrestles as he’s done all year he could do it. Henry takes Curnow. Matches his athleticism.
I know he isn't an ideal match up but unfortunately we aint stacked for tall defenders and IMO we get more out blitz in the middle than we do in defence. Our only two tall full time defenders are SDK and Kolo, and I think that Kolo's ten extra Kg's on SDK are gonna be just as handy as some height in a contested situation. playing into space on a lead, I agree Mckay would murder Kolo.

After that game there will be real belief. Especially as we’re not reliant on two key fwds that can be shut down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
With Hawkins and Cameron, the contested scrap of a game didn’t suit key forwards at all. It was a game of opportunistic scores from midfield flow and flicking the ball around to a lose player.

I can imagine Hawkins and Cameron may come more into it with an open MCG field to lead into

Any chance of footage of Gawn when Blicavs takes that mark in our forward 50 late in the match?

I know Blicavs didn't convert the goal - but Gawn looked mighty pissed when Blicavs got on the end of the mark and there was no defensive help for poor ole Max

Gawn gave this hilarious side eye that made him look like an annoyed shifty eyed rat.
Very funny.

Maybe, but I still think we’ll lose one game in the next 6, as we did ‘07 but that’ll be the cleanser. Maybe the dogs get us at home when we’re doing heavy loads getting ready for finals and they play their gf.

My bet is Melb lose one more as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Melbourne have a tough draw. They’ve shown their belly and are going to be hunted now.

Melbourne have a tough draw. They’ve shown their belly and are going to be hunted now.
Could potentially miss the top four. If they are good enough they will win it from any position.. top 4 is not as big a deal as it once was with the pre finals bye. Everybody is rested up these days and list fitness overall is more important

Fantastic win!
What I liked -
  • Rohan's intensity early.
  • C Guthrie bringing the hardness and aggression as well as producing unlikely goals for the highlight reel.
  • Hawkins proving again why he's the best player in the league.
  • Holmes looking like a 100 gamer, standing up in the big moments.
  • Atkins like a terrier.
  • Our ability to create marks i50 against the best defences.
What I still have doubts about -
  • The capacity for us to match it with these sorts of teams when the stakes are higher.
  • Cameron's ability to gel with the team and influence the contest against good opposition under finals-like pressure.
  • Whether those who have missed large parts of the season like Dangerfield, Menegola and Henry will be able to find (or continue) their form at the right time of year.

I've been a bit of a doubter this year and this game hasn't exactly changed that. But the signs are good that we're at least well in the hunt for our 10th flag.
Very long way to go as we all know and I reckon there's a good chance we drop a few in the next few weeks. But pinch yourselves, cats fans. This season isn't a dream.

Any chance of footage of Gawn when Blicavs takes that mark in our forward 50 late in the match?

I know Blicavs didn't convert the goal - but Gawn looked mighty pissed when Blicavs got on the end of the mark and there was no defensive help for poor ole Max
View attachment FullSizeRender.MOV

6 years ago we had a younger hawkins, menzel, motlop, caddy, a younger danger and should of had steve johnson too. That foward line would of been just as good. In some ways better. If only it existed to its full extent and had faster ball movement to support it.

Current forward line monsters that one. More marking power, more defensive pressure, more speed and more size. The only real forward in the first list is Hawkins- Menzel was originally slated to be a mid but his knees just couldn't handle the loading(which is a Greek tragedy, was possibly our most talented player IMO). Lots of great players, But Stengle and JC are both 40 goal a season forwards as is Hawkins.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How amazing but silly at the same time.
Both Tom Stewart or Tom Atkins never played under 18s eg Geelong Falcons 😲 they only played local Geelong Football League....

It was us who had a few key players missing and arguably our best player and best defender in the AFL missing yet we still looked 10 goals better.

Petracca had a big game, Oliver also, viney was huge.. they gave it their all Melbourne and there was no lack of hunger or intent at the contest. We look better this year.

The huge improvements that have allowed us to become a more balanced attacking and defensive side is the massive improvement of Stengle close and Atkins… having those 3 players push up into the play and defend and tackle the way they do has changed our dynamics enormously into a side that is much more difficult to run and spread off. Where as in years gone by when geelong turned the ball over it was like a picnic walking it forward.

Rohan back has been immense adding to this dynamic also, it has given us a lot of defensive pressure players who are naturally good at harassing and tackling to get the ball back.

With dangerfield returning to form he is the cream thru the middle we need to polish it off who can match the star power of Oliver petracca, along with Guthrie if he keeps form.

A lot to like about us.. but geez the obvious also needs to be pointed out.. the bed wetting over how amazing and scary Melbourne are is a load of bs. They are a good side but it ends there. They are not a champion team
Imagine if Danger had some accuracy near goal.

Did u find out if his 100% eligible?
i think the answer is no - couldn't find his name in the Sportsbet rising star betting list

What I did notice though is that SDK is into outright second favourite

i think the answer is no - couldn't find his name in the Sportsbet rising star betting list

What I did notice though is that SDK is into outright second favourite
Yeah iv looked myself but his name was no where to be seen.

Yeah I put $5 on SDK at $101, Sportsbet got it cashed out for $72, but iv declined

I actually think Richmond are now our biggest threat for the Flag, Demons have lost 4 of 6, seem to have lost all momentum.

It makes me feel a bit sick about how tense a knock out final with Richmond could be.

The other big threat would be stumbling from here and having to play Lions at the Gabba.

Carlton could be dangerous, the atmosphere at Carlton finals will be absolutely bonkers, like Richmond in 2017.
Demons best is probably still better than all other teams. Gawn will get better with more gametime. We were superb last night, but still many difficult games to go- each game is, even WCE. The likely GF teams is still totally unknown. Being hot in June July is great for ladder positions, but any team in the eventual top 8 would have reasons to believe they are flag worthy with no exception.
Flag talk now is a week to week discussion.
2 weeks ago when Demons smashed the in-form Lions, they were back, and clear favourites.
Freo 2 weeks before that.
Pies are hot.
Weitering is back- I am truly impressed by our opponent next week- if we handle them, perhaps we are the real deal.
And we are yet to beat the Saints- that'll be a beauty.

Last edited:
I'm strangely fascinated by that Gee supporter giving the Italian salute (or A bras d'honneur if you want to add a bit of class)
I'm lip reading UMPIRES at the end of it.
Surely not? :)

Which honestly is horseshit.
1, Scott is a Premiership coach of a team he played in.
2, Scott wasn't the one who fired him, it was higher up.

Scarlo needs to get over himself at times, I love him as a player, honestly I really do, but as a bloke...
From what I’ve heard in the past, Scarlett has multiple tickets on himself - in love with his own shadow. Great player but, as you say…

I did. You said we had a taller team and a one dimensional forward line in 2016.
We did not have a taller team.
Our forwards were agile with Motlop. Kersten, Hawkins and McCarthy. We had a younger Stanley and Smith in ruck.
We had speed in Murdoch and Duncan on the wings and we always had a terrific back line.

We have added in Cameron who is a considerable upgrade but we certainly had players to implement a much quicker brand of football years ago. The game has evolved to allow for this brand of football but I think you are excusing the list we have had this whole time. Dangerfield and Selwood in their prime were as good as it gets in 2016-2017.
Comparable to Petracca and Oliver of today.
Smith, Murdoch, Kersten, Floglop??? 🤣😂

Can I have some of whatever you’re on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back