Review Cats defeat gallant Pies by 6 points to get into another PF

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda feels like both finals this weekend will be blowouts, but if there is an upset to happen Freo are good enough to take it up to Collingwood at the MCG. Their gameplan stacks up there, they handed an undefeated Melbourne their first loss there. Freo have strengths in the positions to offset the Pies best players, on top of having a superior ruck and forwards that can go with Moore.

But Sydney have comfortably accounted for the Pies at the SCG the other week, do the Pies have it in them to turn around a 27 point loss especially as the best players from that game (Mills, Parker, Hickey, Rowbottom) all played well against Melbourne.
And you seldom see Heeney, Warner and Franklin play 2 bad games in a row (poor V Dees, great V Pies during season).
But Pies recent record at the SCG have been two losses (27 points this year, 30 points last year) so I don't know where you get the idea they are good there.

Feel like Freo either lose by 6 goals or lose/win by under 10 points. Doesn't feel like the margin will be anywhere in the middle of that.

But they played each other in Perth about 8 weeks ago - and Coll wiped the floor with them

Frem were reasonably good in the 1st half of the year - but the 2nd half of the year i think they have looked shaky - and alot of worrying signs

Watched about 6 weeks ago Frem v Port over in Perth - last half - Dockers were about 8 goals in front at 3 qtr time - Port kicked the 1st 6 goals of the last qtr - and Freo looked like a rabble - the old Freo . Robbie Gray and another Port player had set shots 40 metres out - to bring the margin back to under a goal - if either had converted - im certain Port would have won - it wasnt good viewing from a Fremantle perspective

I think the only thing that will beat Coll this week is if they are flat after the narrow loss

But they played each other in Perth about 8 weeks ago - and Coll wiped the floor with them

Frem were reasonably good in the 1st half of the year - but the 2nd half of the year i think they have looked shaky - and alot of worrying signs

Watched about 6 weeks ago Frem v Port over in Perth - last half - Dockers were about 8 goals in front at 3 qtr time - Port kicked the 1st 6 goals of the last qtr - and Freo looked like a rabble - the old Freo . Robbie Gray and another Port player had set shots 40 metres out - to bring the margin back to under a goal - if either had converted - im certain Port would have won - it wasnt good viewing from a Fremantle perspective

I think the only thing that will beat Coll this week is if they are flat after the narrow loss
And Sydney wiped the floor with us at the start of the year. H&A means nothing especially if its a result from more than a month ago or there are significant player changes.

A week after that Pies loss that smeared Melbourne over the MCG who were in imperious form, and the Pies the next two weeks fell over Carlton and then Hawks by 4 points.

You can't read that much into form that far back.
I tipped Freo over the Dogs, and they met 3 weeks out from finals and had a similar margin in both games (even if the match was wildly different).
Sydney will beat the Pies at the SCG, might be by less as the Pies will be up for a final but they will have an injured De Goey and no Adams (Adams did miss the game V Sydney during the season and they missed him in the middle where they got smashed in clearances).

And Sydney wiped the floor with us at the start of the year. H&A means nothing especially if its a result from more than a month ago or there are significant player changes.

A week after that Pies loss that smeared Melbourne over the MCG who were in imperious form, and the Pies the next two weeks fell over Carlton and then Hawks by 4 points.

You can't read that much into form that far back.
I tipped Freo over the Dogs, and they met 3 weeks out from finals and had a similar margin in both games (even if the match was wildly different).
Sydney will beat the Pies at the SCG, might be by less as the Pies will be up for a final but they will have an injured De Goey and no Adams (Adams did miss the game V Sydney during the season and they missed him in the middle where they got smashed in clearances).

My Collingwood-supporter colleague said Adams is no loss as he's been injured all year.

Then as he was walking off said "you know Cameron is gonna do his hammie in the prelim".

The nerve!

Either team we face next week will be challenging.
In some ways, Brisbane's forward line is more functional than melbourne's, and they have multiple avenues to goal. Their Cameron is brilliant, Hipwood (who dnp v us last time iirc)could worry us, McStay was great last time we played them- and he won't be rucking, Bailey is a gun, and then there's Joe Daniher. I don't see this as a lay-down-misere for Melbourne.
Let's worry about the Prelim- after another bye - first.

Can't worry about the Prelim until we know who else is in it.

Melbourne worries me more than Brisbane, wonder if they get a boost psychologically knowing they smashed us in a PF last year (I know last year might be motivation for our players, but players do sometimes get a boost from stuff like that when they think someone is their bunny).
That said, even though I expect Brisbane to not be totally dogshit like they were against Melbourne at the Gabba, I just can't see how they reverse that form and beat the Dees at Melbourne when they couldn't get close at the Gabbatoir. Hope everyone enjoyed that first week of finals because the Dees, even with their s**t forwardline, could put up a 70 point win. This match SCREAMS either Fritsch or Pickett getting off the chain and kicking 6 or kicking 10 between them by halftime.

I know he's received a bit of flack for an under par performance on Saturday, but seems Blicavs played through some discomfort after a knock to the leg:

While it has now been confirmed he has one less day of preparation, key utility Mark Blicavs is set to play in the preliminary final despite dealing with a sore shin.

The All-Australian was kicked in the shin in the second quarter of Saturday’s stunning qualifying final win over Collingwood, and played through the second half with some soreness.

Blicavs was a lone figure at GMHBA Stadium on Tuesday morning, working through some run-throughs and light sprints to test out his leg, and appeared to be moving without discomfort.

“I checked on him at halftime and the medical team said he was absolutely fine and he was able to play out the game without problems, so it’s just general soreness,” Lloyd said.

This is why this year the win was VERY important. Pies looked knackered and sore post final and have injuries to deal with, we looked knackered post game, Demons are knackered and sore and have injuries to key players, Brisbane played an insanely high effort/pressure final and looked very tired at the end of the game.
Freo looked ok by the end but had to spend big petrol tickets to get back into the game. Only Sydney looked to have gotten through the game in good condition but then again Florent rolled an ankle and the game was a tight, physical affair til the swans broke the game open early in the last.

Imaging having to back up from the Pies match to play a pacey Freo, and then a fresh Sydney in a PF. I can't see it not being Sydney as one half of the GF.

This is why this year the win was VERY important. Pies looked knackered and sore post final and have injuries to deal with, we looked knackered post game, Demons are knackered and sore and have injuries to key players, Brisbane played an insanely high effort/pressure final and looked very tired at the end of the game.
Freo looked ok by the end but had to spend big petrol tickets to get back into the game. Only Sydney looked to have gotten through the game in good condition but then again Florent rolled an ankle and the game was a tight, physical affair til the swans broke the game open early in the last.

Imaging having to back up from the Pies match to play a pacey Freo, and then a fresh Sydney in a PF. I can't see it not being Sydney as one half of the GF.
Yes and we've often looked knackered in prelims after having to get there the hard way. I know people will point to the one time we didn't (Sydney 2016) but one data point is hard to draw much from. The time we ran out a prelim really well was 2020 with the short quarters and that time, it was the GF we ran out of steam.

I absolutely believe for this squad, winning the QF and skipping the semi is a good thing.

Our bloke copped 2 for "serious misconduct". Ginnivan played out the game / didn't even leave the ground so I'm at a loss for where the AwFL draws the line between insufficient force & serious misconduct.

Last edited:
Our bloke copped 2 for "serious micsonduct". Ginnivan played out the game / didn't even leave the ground so I'm at a loss for where the AwFL draws the line between insufficient force & serious misconduct.

ANY attempt at a chicken wing, regardless of it's force, should attract an automatic 'serious misconduct' charge, period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Collingwood-supporter colleague said Adams is no loss as he's been injured all year.

Then as he was walking off said "you know Cameron is gonna do his hammie in the prelim".

The nerve!

Shits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Got to say I was surprised that Ginnivan didn't cop some sort of sanction.

The "excuse" for no action is apparently "insufficient force". In my view its not the force but the action itself that should draw a sanction.

We need to rub this action out right now, before someone gets seriously injured.

Agree totally. Also agree that someone is going to absolutely take him out soon. Apparently he does all sorts of s**t that I’ve not seen. But like all children if he isn’t punished he’ll keep doing what he wants probably supported by macrae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly- I saw Dunstall on the couch last night and he said pies were a bit stiff. But I watched the replay and, whilst agreeing it was anyone’s game I don’t see that - they missed a couple they should have got, so did we. Then we had a few blues from the normally accurate Close, and a couple of unlucky bounces for max etc- I came out of the replay thinking, if anything, we could have won by a bit more with an ounce of luck. Not biased of course!
Agree. I thought wobblers were better on the day..but. On watching replay I would call it even. we had some diabolical bounces and missed some gimme goals. The reason they felt stiffed is that they missed a couple of decisions late in the game which could have gone their way but as you say it probably shouldn’t have been that close in the end anyway.
Our first quarter was still really poor. They didn’t capitalise.

Agree. I thought wobblers were better on the day..but. On watching replay I would call it even. we had some diabolical bounces and missed some gimme goals. The reason they felt stiffed is that they missed a couple of decisions late in the game which could have gone their way but as you say it probably shouldn’t have been that close in the end anyway.
Our first quarter was still really poor. They didn’t capitalise.
I didn’t even think the first quarter was as bad as I’d thought! And even if they had kicked a couple more, we would still have hauled them in.

I didn’t even think the first quarter was as bad as I’d thought! And even if they had kicked a couple more, we would still have hauled them in.
Getting in front after you've been 3+ goals down is sometimes like generating the energy required to break the sound barrier. No matter how far back your comeback starts (3 goals, 5 goals, 7 goals etc), it's always that last goal that puts you in front that takes the longest the most effort. Getting it can set you on the path to victory, missing it (and the opposition scoring) can burst the bubble and you lose all momentum.

Getting in front after you've been 3+ goals down is sometimes like generating the energy required to break the sound barrier. No matter how far back your comeback starts (3 goals, 5 goals, 7 goals etc), it's always that last goal that puts you in front that takes the longest the most effort. Getting it can set you on the path to victory, missing it (and the opposition scoring) can burst the bubble and you lose all momentum.
Yep- and cats have been good this year, with limited opportunity, at overhauling a lead. And stymieing the opposition’s scoring. What we did so well on Saturday- after the first quarter, was quickly respond to them scoring a goal. So they could never get a real jump on us. And so when we kept coming, we always gave ourselves a chance to get in front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back