Review Cats defeat gallant Pies by 6 points to get into another PF

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFL great Dermott Brereton told the Herald Sun that Ginnivan’s actions “wasn’t a spur of the moment” call.

“I was at ground level and I thought, ‘I’m going to watch nothing but Ginnivan for 10 minutes’,’’ Brereton said.

“I saw it and had I been a teammate, I would’ve been incensed by it.

“It had nothing to do with playing our sport. It wasn’t a spur of the moment, it was something designed to hurt somebody when play was dead.

Probably one of the biggest issues for this talented young player is that the umpires would be made aware of this through constant media discussion, plus their normal reviews. They'd try and be unbiased, but they will label him a recidevist. This was the word that one of the umpires used in the recent article about how the ARC is set up (essentially some players always say they touched the ball when they didnt).

That's 3 incidents alone in this game where umpires would be thinking watch out for this kid.

If you notice - they are very reluctant to give Joel free kicks anymore - unless its obvious.

AFL great Dermott Brereton told the Herald Sun that Ginnivan’s actions “wasn’t a spur of the moment” call.

“I was at ground level and I thought, ‘I’m going to watch nothing but Ginnivan for 10 minutes’,’’ Brereton said.

“It had nothing to do with playing our sport. It wasn’t a spur of the moment, it was something designed to hurt somebody when play was dead.

Probably one of the biggest issues for this talented young player is that the umpires would be made aware of this through constant media discussion, plus their normal reviews. They'd try and be unbiased, but they will label him a recidevist. This was the word that one of the umpires used in the recent article about how the ARC is set up (essentially some players always say they touched the ball when they didnt).

That's 3 incidents alone in this game where umpires would be thinking watch out for this kid.

If you notice - they are very reluctant to give Joel free kicks anymore - unless its obvious.
Is he talking about the dive or chicken wing tackle?

Gallant is extremely annoying and a description that would not have been given to us had we lost. Don’t forget they played in a GF 18, PF 19, SF 20 before one dud Year. They are hardly a gallant side in defeat and nothing exemplified that more than jack ginnevan’s during and macrae’s behaviour after the the game. .

Well played great game plan good play but anything but gallant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A bit of a warning to Ginnivan

In the comments it seems the Colliwobbles have gotten into the brains of their supporters because they don't seem to know what a chicken wing tackle is...

Edit: even funnier half of them calling this a dangerous tackle and he should have been suspended. I can't find the time stamp for the match but I don't recall a free kick or injury coming from this.
1662542892372.png

Last edited:
Agree. I thought wobblers were better on the day..but. On watching replay I would call it even. we had some diabolical bounces and missed some gimme goals. The reason they felt stiffed is that they missed a couple of decisions late in the game which could have gone their way but as you say it probably shouldn’t have been that close in the end anyway.
Our first quarter was still really poor. They didn’t capitalise.
You felt like every time they got out to a 2 gl buffer especially in the second half that they were another gl away from blowing the result open.
But our resilience to hang in and then get ahead was tough as nails.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bullshit, Collingwood lost but now have a better chance of being in the big dance than Geelong.
No ******* chance the Pies beat Sydney in Sydney. If they get there, it will be a repeat of the other week.

And better chance? Geelong have a 50/50 chance of being in the GF, you know, being in the PF and all. Pies are in a SF they aren't a sure thing to win.

Yes, and in fact a couple of the Joel ones were obvious and clear high tackles that they seemed to have decided not to pay to him.

Small tip for visitors from afar & locals alike - mod bashing won't be tolerated & a week on the sidelines is a standard response

If there's any issues or concerns with the actions of a mod - either this board or elsewhere on this site - discuss it via a PM, airing it in public won't go well

Collingwood salt is delicious tonight. Its a welcome break from the Tiggie salt.

On the day they were giving to me as the sole Cat in the standing room between a pies and blues supporter mates, particularly this couple. I just kept saying to myself don’t bite back till the game is over. Boy oh boy I released tension by shouting to the cats anx this couple want to deck me then tried to get this young guy when I scuttled off. I tell you pies are the pits. All game every play screaming for frees, then 50’s. Will never tire of watching that last 14mins. Delicious saltiness indeed. As my blues supporter mate said hopefully out in straight sets.

In the comments it seems the Colliwobbles have gotten into the brains of their supporters because they don't seem to know what a chicken wing tackle is...

Edit: even funnier half of them calling this a dangerous tackle and he should have been suspended. I can't find the time stamp for the match but I don't recall a free kick or injury coming from this.
View attachment 1501994

They are an incredibly stupid supporter base.
They can’t actually see the difference? It’s unbelievable

Getting in front after you've been 3+ goals down is sometimes like generating the energy required to break the sound barrier. No matter how far back your comeback starts (3 goals, 5 goals, 7 goals etc), it's always that last goal that puts you in front that takes the longest the most effort. Getting it can set you on the path to victory, missing it (and the opposition scoring) can burst the bubble and you lose all momentum.
But that didnt happen on saturday. once we got the lead we lost it easily. We werent on a path to victory. We had to get it back again with only a minute to go.

But that didnt happen on saturday. once we got the lead we lost it easily. We werent on a path to victory. We had to get it back again with only a minute to go.
I never said that's what happened on the weekend, we were never more than 1-2 goals behind at any time, it was just a genuine seesaw between the two clubs momentum.

I'm talking about games like Port v Geelong where port came back very quickly, but getting in front and staying in front was much more difficult.

Collingwood winning streak of less than 2 goal victories against mostly mediocre sides = skill. Complete credit and admiration. Even when opposition handed it to them.

Geelong winning by a goal (expected points +10 based on shot difficulty) against a team playing well = luck/toss of a coin. Despite having more wasted "golden" opportunities (e.g Close's several boo boos) to score overall.

Am I doing it right?

Collingwood winning streak of less than 2 goal victories against mostly mediocre sides = skill. Complete credit and admiration. Even when opposition handed it to them.

Geelong winning by a goal (expected points +10 based on shot difficulty) against a team playing well = luck/toss of a coin. Despite having more wasted "golden" opportunities (e.g Close's several boo boos) to score overall.

Am I doing it right?

I like take Buckley’s comments on Saturday that coming from behind and winning a close one like that against a team that has been doing it for months now should not be underestimated. Sure toss if the coin stuff, either of those last two pies shots could have sunk the cats. But still to not lose in that pressure cooker and being there it was horrendous was extraordinary. The whole game was played on Collingwoods terms and it felt like the ‘09 Gf where it’s played just the way the opposition wants it but the cats found a way to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back