Review Cats defeat gallant Pies by 6 points to get into another PF

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like take Buckley’s comments on Saturday that coming from behind and winning a close one like that against a team that has been doing it for months now should not be underestimated. Sure toss if the coin stuff, either of those last two pies shots could have sunk the cats. But still to not lose in that pressure cooker and being there it was horrendous was extraordinary. The whole game was played on Collingwoods terms and it felt like the ‘09 Gf where it’s played just the way the opposition wants it but the cats found a way to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Nah, the 09 GF doesn't count. We didn't win convincingly enough 😏

But that didnt happen on saturday. once we got the lead we lost it easily. We werent on a path to victory. We had to get it back again with only a minute to go.
Yes, and we did get the lead back. Every time they scored, we responded. That’s all that’s needed-that game was never going to be decided by a big margin. Just had to keep it close-which we did.
A terrific victory. Very proud of the team.

I like take Buckley’s comments on Saturday that coming from behind and winning a close one like that against a team that has been doing it for months now should not be underestimated. Sure toss if the coin stuff, either of those last two pies shots could have sunk the cats. But still to not lose in that pressure cooker and being there it was horrendous was extraordinary. The whole game was played on Collingwoods terms and it felt like the ‘09 Gf where it’s played just the way the opposition wants it but the cats found a way to win.

Buckley shouldn't be allowed to commentate Collingwood games. He was so salty in the post game part, bagging out Rohan for dropping a chest mark, his face was seething.

w***er.

Interesting article on the ABC website analysing Gary Rohan’s role in the team, with emphasis on the QF.

Yes, and we did get the lead back. Every time they scored, we responded. That’s all that’s needed-that game was never going to be decided by a big margin. Just had to keep it close-which we did.
A terrific victory. Very proud of the team.
its not true that everytime pies scored we responded. Pies got back to a two goal lead deep in the last.

And yet we won the match -so I’m guessing that meant we responded.
It was a very good win- am having no trouble enjoying it.
That was peak Collingwood this season, they couldn't really have done better. Might have been Moores best game in years.

And they couldn't get enough goals ahead. Meanwhile we had guys who were poor for the first half, really poor first quarter and for guys like Stanley poor all game, and we still got it done.

That was peak Collingwood this season, they couldn't really have done better. Might have been Moores best game in years.

And they couldn't get enough goals ahead. Meanwhile we had guys who were poor for the first half, really poor first quarter and for guys like Stanley poor all game, and we still got it done.
Yep- it was comfortably the best I’ve seen the pies play this year. Cats plenty of improvement to come- will be right next game. It’ll be interesting to see how the pies back up this week.

Yep- it was comfortably the best I’ve seen the pies play this year. Cats plenty of improvement to come- will be right next game. It’ll be interesting to see how the pies back up this week.
I wondered this year with the constant tight wins, people kept saying "well as a result of so many tight wins if its a close final they have experience if it happens again" but on the flip side, they struggled to close out games this year. There were games they couldn't just put teams away. They should have gone in at quarter time with an extra 2 or 3 goals on top of what they had. And no one in the media has really brought it up.

If teams give us a sniff, we pile on goals and bury them. Ditto Sydney. Ditto Melbourne.

I know we've had our share of frustrations with a certain group of opposition supporters, but damn Collingwood supporters really can't seem to move on from Saturday can they... Not sure this image/example is really making the point they want

• it's from 7 years ago, before Dangerfield even joined Geelong
  • Joel was suspended for one match for this

On the second point, does it mean that Collingwood fans agree that Ginnivan should have been suspended for his efforts on Saturday?

Interesting article on the ABC website analysing Gary Rohan’s role in the team, with emphasis on the QF.
Great article. Except that the author gave the match winning goal to 'Close' rather than Holmes. lol

I like that it dispelled the myth about Rohan's finals performances. He's played some very good finals in the past, but somehow they just get ignored to fit the narrative.

Some of the graphs were quite telling, for me more about Hawkins than Rohan.

First the score involvement v f50 pressure acts. Hawk is off the charts on score involvements and his pressure acts are decent by anyone's standards.

And then couple it with the marks i50 per disposal v f50 ground-ball gets per disposal. He is basically a Charlie Cameron of ground ball gets and a Max King of marks i50. Holy sh*t.

Obviously a little reminiscent of the ‘07PF.

Obviously a little reminiscent of the ‘07PF.

Yes this team isn’t in the same class as the team of 2007 but it reminded me a bit of that too. Didn’t bring our best footy then and look how close we went close to going out. Brought our best for the GF.
If we bring our best next time, and we will, we will be right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know we've had our share of frustrations with a certain group of opposition supporters, but damn Collingwood supporters really can't seem to move on from Saturday can they... Not sure this image/example is really making the point they want

On the second point, does it mean that Collingwood fans agree that Ginnivan should have been suspended for his efforts on Saturday?

They’re a bit desperate aren’t they. Embarrassing group of supporters. Not surprising they are looking for anything to support Ginnevan, they stand by a grub like DeGoey.

Brereton did a good take on this on SEN and he hates Geelong.

Also, how’s the media’s form for having a go at Danger for commenting on Ginnevan when they door-stopped him and asked for a comment? I think he’s been pretty good in the circumstances. Gee the media love blaming the victim 🙄

funny thing about that is the bloke he tackled (Sam Wright) even came out to say he could tell there was no malice and that Joel genuinly wouldn't have known the ball had spilled out

David King said earlier this week that the pies have more leg speed than the cats. I’d agree the pies play fast football, as do the cats these days, but I don’t know if there’s many pies players faster than the following players: Holmes, Stewart, Bews, Tuohy, Smith, Dangerfield, Rohan, Stengle, Close.

I think the myth of the cats players being generally slow has been perpetuated due to a slow game style and higher-than-average age. It’s probably time the media put that myth to bed.

Last edited:
Got to say I was surprised that Ginnivan didn't cop some sort of sanction.

The "excuse" for no action is apparently "insufficient force". In my view its not the force but the action itself that should draw a sanction.

We need to rub this action out right now, before someone gets seriously injured.

I will just never understand this sentiment. Perhaps you can answer a question for me. I assume you think murder and attempted murder should be penalised the same?

David King said earlier this week that the pies have more leg speed than the cats. I’d agree the pies play fast football, as do the cats these days, but I don’t know if there’s many pies players faster than the following players: Holmes, Stewart, Bews, Tuohy, Smith, Dangerfield, Rohan, Stengle, Close.

I think the myth of the cats players being generally slow has been perpetuated due to a slow game style and higher-than-average age. It’s probably time the media put that myth to bed.
I used use the expression 'slow moving barges' to describe multiple Geelong players. Apart from Tomahawk when he's chasing I don't get much opportunity to use it now.

I will just never understand this sentiment. Perhaps you can answer a question for me. I assume you think murder and attempted murder should be penalised the same?

They are... both have life imprisonment as a maximum penalty.

When you are sententenced for an attempted murder, you are subject to the same maximum penalty as if the offence were completed.

In fact, there's a saying in criminal law - you don't get a discount for missing.

Now what you actually receive is entirely subjective based on you particular offence. So it is entirely plausible to receive a longer non-parole for attempted murder than someone else gets for an actual murder.

They are... both have life imprisonment as a maximum penalty.

When you are sententenced for an attempted murder, you are subject to the same maximum penalty as if the offence were completed.

In fact, there's a saying in criminal law - you don't get a discount for missing.

Now what you actually receive is entirely subjective based on you particular offence. So it is entirely plausible to receive a longer non-parole for attempted murder than someone else gets for an actual murder.
Agree, you shouldn't be rewarded because you are no good at your craft.

Agree, you shouldn't be rewarded because you are no good at your craft.

Yeah, I'm surprised that attempts aren't punished in football, to be honest.

A player can unleash an absolute haymaker, and if the opposition manages to avoid it, the commentators usually say "he would have been in trouble if that connected!"

Yet another play can do something as ingrained as bumping an opponent, and if they're unlucky in the way they fall, they can get weeks.

One carries huge intent to do serious damage, the other is just an unlucky outcome from something our game has always encouraged.

The only difference between the two is the amount of skill

To carry this a step further, it really is an odd quirk off what's acceptable on a football field.

Sorry for the unpleasant imagery, but someone who snaps in an instant and kills a friend over a debt is probably going to get a far, far less severe sentence than someone who tortures someone over 2 weeks then leaves them for dead, only for them to somehow survive.

The "attempt" is far worse than the murder and would be punished accordingly, and rightfully so. All offences, including footballing incidents, occur on a huge spectrum.

The Barry Hall hit on Staker could legit get you years in jail if you did that on the street.

That's actually a strange quirk whereby you essentially "consent" to certain contact in sports and further action is not pursued (unless something exceptional violent was to happen). It's a fairly interesting legal concept.

Leaving Ginnivan aside - I've not seen any decent footage of what happened and am not making any comment on supposed intent - but its ridiculous Stewart can get 4 weeks for a poorly executed football action, yet someone who goes out to hurt or injure but fails, the commentators say "boy, he'd have been in trouble if he connected there!" and the game goes on.

I've actually never understood how little is made of some attempted actions on a footy field.

I've actually never understood how little is made of some attempted actions on a footy field.
I dunno, plenty of Tiger fans have suggested Tom Stewart should be jailed for his bump on Prestia. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back