Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 64 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conway was really promising. His second efforts were great and he’s only going to get better. Leading clearances for us with 10.
Oisin has to play every week from here on in. Has loads of speed, looks like he could be a possible tagger, and his kicking has improved immensely.
There’s lots to work on with Neale. Could’ve easily had 5/6 shots on goal but couldn’t hold the pill. Still kicked 2 anyway.
Really troubling signs from 2E, Cuthrie, and blitz.

As per footywire, it was 11 clearances for Conway

Have no idea why they took SDK out and didnt bring a tall in, were always going to be exposed for size against a side with King,Day and Lukosius

I think they were worried about our lack of run (as good as both conway and clark were their endurance issues contribute to that) but it was still stupid and we got burnt.

I realize there is a theory that Geelong doesn't worry about losing the midfield battle but for it's worth...

Midfield Disposals:

Gold Coast Suns: 177
Anderson 41
Flanders 37
Rowell 35
Miller 32
Sexton 32

Geelong: 115
Holmes 32
Bowes 21
Parfitt 20
Atkins 17
Bruhn 11
Cuthrie 9
Clark 5
Anderson, Flanders, Rowell were all very top of their draft class... Miller not far off either.

Ours are bargain bin, or later picks than theirs.

Class shows.

Holmes is a gun though.

I was hoping Flanders form didn't pick up last year, and we swooped in... But he lifted his form and hasn't looked back.

Not to be overly defensive of him, because he did drop a few, but I thought early in the game he played really deep forward and our entries were shallow targeting Henry and Rohan.

I’m not as sold on Neale as others are here, but he’s the last I’d be pointing my finger at tonight despite making a few errors.
Played 7 games, no supporting senior bigs to really give him a chop out, in a game that didn’t suit his style.
Hope he learns a lot out of tonight’s game though.

WOW! We have never had such a consistent top 5. We performed way better than the Cats tonight.
I was thinking the same. We had a clear best 5. Probably a clear best 2 (Miers and Holmes). The order might depend on what we each value more.

And those 5 are exciting.

Now for a flag in 2024 they can NOT be our best 5. But for a flag in the future it is imperative they become consistently in our top 10.

I would say the Miers and Holmes and Stengle are clearly in our best 5 this year to date and Dempsey might even squeeze into top 10 from coaches perspective given the role he is playing - maybe top 15.

IF you had old told me that after 10 games we had those 5 players all having career best or career break out years and we were sitting 7-3, I would have been very excited. Indeed I will still take it.

Our current issue is that the players we need to have a real “last dance” are currently nowhere near their best or injured. We certainly need Danger, Blitz and Stewart to get back to best and probably Guthrie and Duncan (2E and Rohan would be nice but I actually think they can be covered by the youngsters - those other 5 leaders can’t)

However realistically at their age they can’t perform at their best all year. So (like 22) we actually only need them at their best later in the year. If they build back there then we have a shot…if not then we can’t expect the youngsters to win in 2024 - but we can before the end of the decade

I’m not as sold on Neale as others are here, but he’s the last I’d be pointing my finger at tonight despite making a few errors.
Played 7 games, no supporting senior bigs to really give him a chop out, in a game that didn’t suit his style.
Yeah he's no future Jeremy Cameron but he didn't do too bad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sold on him either but he could've had a decent night if he'd held a few easy marks that he probably takes in other conditions.

There were a lot of dropped marks tonight but his one was by far the worst and it kicked off a quick run of goals for the Suns.

His hands are extremely dodgy, this has been shown at all levels and in all conditions.

No doubt he is a good athlete, and has some skills but those hands could be fatal to his career I fear.

So true. Very frustrating. Hopefully he's not a Wylie Buzza 2.0

Almost as if we had 5 good players to choose from
Even though they were outclassed and outmuscled, I thought Parfitt and Bowes had a crack. But we are talking relative to Bruhn, Blicavs and Guthrie. If those 3 were at the former 2's levels it would've been at least somewhat competitive.

We do desperately need that A grade or potential A grade mid going forward - Smith, Lugg or LDU.

Loose link up players all over the place ….. training drill…. The intent we had seems lost ….
Soft performance!

I think the passage of play which summed the night up perfectly was late in the last term when we fumbled the ball across half back, had one Geelong player on his hands and knees trying to get the ball out, only for the handball to get intercepted and Noah Anderson ran forward with two Suns either side of him and slotted a goal from 30m out on the run.

Were simply outworked all night.

Even though they were outclassed and outmuscled, I thought Parfitt and Bowes had a crack. But we are talking relative to Bruhn, Blicavs and Guthrie. If those 3 were at the former 2's levels it would've been at least somewhat competitive.

We do desperately need that A grade or potential A grade mid going forward - Smith, Lugg or LDU.
2 of those 3 would be better

It’s weird because we have literally rested players who look ok yet someone like him who isn’t moving freely and terribly out of form is still going.

Surely he gets managed against GWS

I agree
Out: Tuohy (cooked)
Guthrie (injured)
Parfitt (not good enough)
Henry (doesnt look right)
Neale (not ready)
dempsey (managed)

In:
Hawkins
Cameron
Duncan
SDK
Mannagh
Hardie

Put atkins in the backline and put holmes in the freaking midfield.
Mannagh is needed for class and its a joke if hardie doesnt play over guthrie.
blitz looks tired but we have no structural replacement.

I wish you could get 10% of Wylie's competitiveness into Neale. He didn't have much ability but he sure knew how to compete when out of position which is Neale's biggest weakness.
Neale is an athlete first and a footballer second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back