Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 64 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

is not really a big deal losing to the suns in darwin or losing to melbourne at the mcg. the only bad loss was to port at home, no excuses there.

we did finished 12th last year and we were pretty good in some close games this year. cant win them all. just keep getting games to the young guys that take us forward.

good we got wins early in the year. win the home games like any good side should and we make finals comfortably. get the young guys finals experience to build from.

Not sure if this is a review or preview question

The one area of the ground we've been pretty stable at selection wise across the season is our defensive unit:
Z. Guthrie, J. Henry & Holmes (yes he moved to the midfield tonight) have played all 10 games
  • Stewart has missed 1 game due to concussion
  • SDK missed tonight due to injury/tactics (?)
  • Kolodjashnij missed one managed

And then there's Duncan, Bowes, Atkins & O'Connor who've all spent time in defence and missed games

Question is, do we need to mix it up a bit?

Those who've been watching the VFL are talking up how Humphries has been playing, while O'Sullivan looked ok in his only game - not saying we should necessarily be looking at wholesale changes, but maybe time to change something up & have a look at different combinations

Basically the midfield is inept and the defenders are garbage atm. J.Henry should have a spell in the VFL with what he’s serving up atm. Bring O’Sullivan in.
Have no idea why they took SDK out and didnt bring a tall in, were always going to be exposed for size against a side with King,Day and Lukosius

Neale did a few ok things after the game was completely gone. Early when the game was on he was non existent.

There were a lot of dropped marks tonight but his one was by far the worst and it kicked off a quick run of goals for the Suns.

His hands are extremely dodgy, this has been shown at all levels and in all conditions.

No doubt he is a good athlete, and has some skills but those hands could be fatal to his career I fear.

It's a bit of a reality check for people. As well as we were doing, we've still been highly reliant on older players like Dangerfield, Hawkins, Cameron, Blicavs, Stewart, Tuohy, etc. Once those guys are gone, or start dropping form, it's exposing that youthful part of the side and they're being exposed. Some are standing up, others aren't, others will need more time. It's at least informative for us going forward - Parfitt has had his shot now and he was up when the team was rolling, and now fallen in a heap again when it hasn't been. His age and experience level he should be moved on. Atkins is heading towards that territory too.

I'd like to see guys like that given some time off and try to put some of the other new/young players more to the test. As we begin to traverse a true rebuild, we need to start cycling out the chaff/deadwood on the list by seeing who is standing up. As we get higher draft picks, it becomes unnecessary to keep low draft picks if they're not showing promise.
Disagree on Parfitt. I thought he showed up Atkins, Bruhn and Bowes for effort tonight.

I’d drop them before him.

I can’t remember the last time we conceded such a high score. In the game where Sydney smashed us by 110 points in 2014, they only scored 148. We’d probably have to go back 20+ years to find our last time conceding 164+ points?

Rd 1 1990 v Hawthorn? Or maybe a 90s Football Park belting v Adelaide?

Read somewhere it was our biggest score conceded since Round 1, 1994 when Melbourne kicked 26.18.174 against us. We actually scored over 100 points that day too.

The one area of the ground we've been pretty stable at selection wise across the season is our defensive unit:
Z. Guthrie, J. Henry & Holmes (yes he moved to the midfield tonight) have played all 10 games

And then there's Duncan, Bowes, Atkins & O'Connor who've all spent time in defence and missed games

Those who've been watching the VFL are talking up how Humphries has been playing, while O'Sullivan looked ok in his only game - not saying we should necessarily be looking at wholesale changes, but maybe time to change something up & have a look at different combinations

I am dead keen to get Holmes back in the middle. Cam Guthrie has played a bit of half back and not well so I wouldn't mind seeing Humphries there. Jack Henry maybe needs a rest or something, so COS in good a game.

These changes against the tigers though. I don't want to send the kids out to get slaughtered against gws

I am sorry, I don’t like to overreact, and Scott pulled some great tricks early in the season to cover it, but our midfield is simply not up to it.

We are going to struggle to play finals let alone compete in September.

They are absolutely dire.

Thank heavens they moved Holmes in there in second half who is a class above the rest.

We will play finals fine because we have a lot of easy games post bye but if we dont fix this midfield we wont win the flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how AFL fantasy points work but for fun

Jack Henry 20 lowest on the ground
Clark got 28 in just over a 1/4
Guthrie who we all stuck the boots into got 38

That just shows how bad J Henry actually was

Henry was ordinary, but never look at fantasy points to determine who are the best players on the ground.
Possibly the worst system for determining that. Rewards accumulation over all other facets.
That’s coming from someone who plays fantasy sports.

Last edited:
He just kicked more goals that game than Hawkins has collectively in his 5 games since since Easter Monday. In putrid conditions. With terrible delivery.
Neale.

Yes he dropped a couple of marks You would expect him to mark, but for a good time ( mid first Q to mid 3Q) he was locked away watching GC mids pouring the ball forward. And conditions were as bad as you can get for a 200+ cm forward. Even King was hardly doing much until it started raining footballs.

Neale did kick two more than Hawkins has managed the last 4 weeks. One a snap on the run the second a nice 45m set shot.

if you were still watching in the last Q he was very lively in the ruck.

From me anyway Neale stays on the positive side of the ledger.

Neale did a few ok things after the game was completely gone. Early when the game was on he was non existent.
Not to be overly defensive of him, because he did drop a few, but I thought early in the game he played really deep forward and our entries were shallow targeting Henry and Rohan.

Am I the only one who notices Jhye Clark's Hitler moustache? What's that all about? I wonder if the AFL will ban his head, LOL.

Wonder what the Inclusivity Gods are thinking at the Australian Govt and AFL.

He was sporting it today again.

I think he is trying to grow a proper hipster moustache, but maybe only the Hitler part has the hair follicles. Lol

I suppose Zuthrie arrived at the club with no pubes, but now he's the man! haha

Don't take me seriously, just like we can't take today's game seriously.

1715865322124.png

1715865349000.png

Frustrating night
I don’t as a rule look at umpiring but we had a very rough trot tonight. Set the tone early with GC getting the 50% ers and umps ignoring several blatant push in the backs for our defenders.
Next was selection - replace SDK with COS not a struggling Tuohy - grrrr
Next play Mullin in the middle after being terrific last week - put Cuthrie at half back.
Next be frigging aware we’re likely to lose centre clearances and defend on the defer side - 2 weeks in a row we’ve let the opposition waltz it out unattended- grrr again.

We need to regroup fast and steady the ship - otherwise we let a 7 zip start go to waste.
C’mon Catters!!!

Neale.

Yes he dropped a couple of marks You would expect him to mark, but for a good time ( mid first Q to mid 3Q) he was locked away watching GC mids pouring the ball forward. And conditions were as bad as you can get for a 200+ cm forward. Even King was hardly doing much until it started raining footballs.

Neale did kick two more than Hawkins has managed the last 4 weeks. One a snap on the run the second a nice 45m set shot.

if you were still watching in the last Q he was very lively in the ruck.

From me anyway Neale stays on the positive side of the ledger.
Yeah he wasn't perfect by any means, but I think he met expectations given what he was dropped into

The way the ball is coming out of the midfield, particularly forward of a contest under no pressure, is giving our defenders no chance.
Fix that, and our defenders will improve incredibly quickly.

Read somewhere it was our biggest score conceded since Round 1, 1994 when Melbourne kicked 26.18.174 against us. We actually scored over 100 points that day too.
Bit of Blighty football about us recently.

We don't struggle to score; it's just we open ourselves up to get scores against heavily as well. Like with Blighty, means we can pile on the score but also if the balance is off we're getting piled on as well.

At least it's not like when Ross Lyon coaches a middling side and he's grinding out games with minimal scoring happening. That said, in the modern game you'd probably want to instill a bit of a defensive mindset in the younger players as they're coming through as that's where future success will be launched from. Would help if we knew how to shut games down a bit when they start getting away. Few weeks now where we've just let the opposition pile on easy goals and we don't have any answers or way to be proactive on the field.

Sad Family Time GIF by Lifetime

Watching that whole game....

Play Hardie and plan Mannagh in the middle. Midfield is slow and for 3 weeks now getting the same old same old.

Mix it up. Do something new ffs.
Yep. Maybe it helps, maybe it won't but can't cop a pathetic midfield effort like that while the twos have numerous putting theit hands up and roll the same lot out again next time.

We were never winning in that heat with so many outs..simply ran out of gas after half time.

That said that was the dumbest display of bombing it on forwards heads that ive ever seen-would it hurt anyone to use it by hand and find a leading forward.

Things that were glaring
-Conway showed promise and will eventually be really good. But doesnt have the tank yet. If there was a mid season trade period we would be bringing in a ruck. We knew this last october and havent addressed it.
-For gods sake pick mannagh next week we need someone that can use the football.
-Guthrie is either injured in which case he shouldnt play anywhere or hes way down on touch in which case he needs games in the 2s. I know danger is out but picking guthrie is no good for him or the team. Hardie should have played.
-The delivery did neale no favours but he doesnt have the footy iq yet. Whichever games hawkins isnt there id just use mannagh and dempsey as more mobile fwds we pose more danger there.
-holmes does well at hb but this midfield is dire. He just needs to be put in there. Put atkins or oconnor back if you have to.
-Jack is out of form and jeka might need to be tried. Not picking an extra kpd with no sdk was stupid.
-Parfitt tries but is not up to it and is a gap filler at best.
-Miers, both ollies and stengle are our class shining lights.

Yep. Maybe it helps, maybe it won't but can't cop a pathetic midfield effort like that while the twos have numerous putting theit hands up and roll the same lot out again next time.

With the baby situation and next week being a home game they have no excuse not to pick mannagh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back