Opinion CEY how many games next year? Can he make an impact?

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no question Thommo's days are numbered you are dead right he will need to be moved on and thinking he will remain in the mid is probably a bit more of hope than a certainty, look at Judd for the past couple of years one of the best midfielders ever yet he struggled at his age.
I think that the end for Thompson, when it comes, will come suddenly. His performances last year were fine - and for the first time in several seasons he stayed relatively injury free (though he started the season on the injury list). How long he can maintain that is the question...

The problem with Thompson is that he doesn't have any other strings to his bow. He doesn't have the flexibility, that Roo had, of going forward as a medium marking option. For Thompson, it's midfield or nothing. If he stops being able to perform in the middle, then it's game over.

My big concern is that we have a distinct lack of quality options to replace him once he's gone. But we've had that debate already, and I don't particularly want to revisit that argument again right now.

I think 2016 will be Thompson's last season. Whether he makes it all the way through to the end, while still performing strongly, that's what I'm uncertain about.

I think that the end for Thompson, when it comes, will come suddenly. His performances last year were fine - and for the first time in several seasons he stayed relatively injury free (though he started the season on the injury list). How long he can maintain that is the question...

The problem with Thompson is that he doesn't have any other strings to his bow. He doesn't have the flexibility, that Roo had, of going forward as a medium marking option. For Thompson, it's midfield or nothing. If he stops being able to perform in the middle, then it's game over.

My big concern is that we have a distinct lack of quality options to replace him once he's gone. But we've had that debate already, and I don't particularly want to revisit that argument again right now.

I think 2016 will be Thompson's last season. Whether he makes it all the way through to the end, while still performing strongly, that's what I'm uncertain about.

The Key there is Quality

CEY,Hampton, Seedsman, Menzel have been around 4 years minimum or longer and can play but arent outstanding quality(menzel maybe) , I personally would give Smith a go he has proven himself to be great quality, the only question is can he do it in the midfeild! We do need some serious replacements for Danger and Thommo, Crouch could be one, could Smith be the other?

The Key there is Quality

CEY,Hampton, Seedsman, Menzel have been around 4 years minimum or longer and can play but arent outstanding quality(menzel maybe) , I personally would give Smith a go he has proven himself to be great quality, the only question is can he do it in the midfeild! We do need some serious replacements for Danger and Thommo, Crouch could be one, could Smith be the other?
I wouldn't have thought that Smith would be best used as an inside mid. I can definitely see him moving to the midfield, but playing primarily on the wing rather than inside the packs.

From memory you manufactured my view along the lines that I was a huge fan and thought he was a star. Whereas I have only ever suggested he's been unluck/poorly treated to have not played ahead of other guys when they're out of form eg Dmac and Wright. You are great at winning arguments and gloating about it when you've completely made up the opposing view.

All I was doing was laughing at Kane and Marty going at it like we were re Dmac and Lyons. Nothing more, nothing less. All I want to see is the Crows winning games.

All I was doing was laughing at Kane and Marty going at it like we were re Dmac and Lyons. Nothing more, nothing less. All I want to see is the Crows winning games.

I just want us all to cuddle for Christmas. Perhaps not, the thought of it makes me feel ill.

The development vacancy has already been created with the departure of Dangerfield. Right now, if we move Thompson out of the midfield - we don't play finals. It's that simple.

I disagree with that statement seeing that Thompson won't be the difference with us making the finals or not.

In fact, i'd be leaning the other way and saying that if he is a starter come end of the season we could be in for some serious pain as it means either injuries or our next inside battery hasn't developed as quickly as we like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't have thought that Smith would be best used as an inside mid. I can definitely see him moving to the midfield, but playing primarily on the wing rather than inside the packs.
We've traded and drafted outside runners. Smith is one player who could play both, inside and outside. Imagine him in the centre square winning a clearance and dobbing them from 60 or hitting our forwards on the chest.

The only question is if he can win his own clearances and I'm pretty sure he did as a junior.

We have nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying him in the guts.

My concern with regards to Thommo is not whether he has lost the ability to do what he does well. He is still very capable of being a strong body at the stoppage that has taps directed to him or back into congestion. It's what he's never done and what has become so important that concerns me. Thommo doesn't work back hard into space, he doesn't take up a position in the press. He works from stoppage to stoppage and does little else. He's probably the last single dimension midfielder left in the entire AFL. He's been a champ for us and will still be at the contest, but football is about so much more than that these days. We need Thommo in the midfield as much as we need Dmac for his speed, run and carry.

But I accept that he'll see out this year or at least get to 300, but we will be better when we're not forced to play him ala Wright and VB.

Sando or Campo?

Neither. It was an assistant.

Pretty much.
"Why didn't CEY keep getting games?"
"Because he can't kick."

Surprises me considering the amount of times i recall him pinpointing Tex between defenders and slotting some nice goals.

Neither. It was an assistant.

Pretty much.
"Why didn't CEY keep getting games?"
"Because he can't kick."

Surprises me considering the amount of times i recall him pinpointing Tex between defenders and slotting some nice goals.

So despite disproving that at AFL level, the coaching group fails to update their view. No wonder guys who are hopelessly out of form get selected week after week. We run a belief based football dept.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back