Prediction Changes and Pre match discussion vs North Melbourne round 18 @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

What the hell is happening with Cripps? He left what 3 weeks ago? Don't tell me the kid still hasn't arrived?
Was wondering the same thing. Surely, he would be available for the norfs game.
I heard, from 5th hand info mind you, that his wife/partner wasn’t in labour and isn’t due until next month, she just had some complications so he flew back. I don’t think we’ll see him again this year tbh.

I would like to see trying out Williams as a marking backman against North Melbourne. (a bit like McEvoy of Hawthorn)
We lost McGovern for a few matches.
Harry Edwards is too skinny to play in the Finals.
Will Schofield is good and experience but not a contest marking player.

Last edited:
I heard, from 5th hand info mind you, that his wife/partner wasn’t in labour and isn’t due until next month, she just had some complications so he flew back. I don’t think we’ll see him again this year tbh.
I'm pretty sure the club press release confirmed this indirectly. Said she was preparing for labour so he needed to be there to help her. He also had to quarantine for 2 weeks before being able to go to hospital etc, whichis why he left so early.

I'm pretty sure the club press release confirmed this indirectly. Said she was preparing for labour so he needed to be there to help her. He also had to quarantine for 2 weeks before being able to go to hospital etc, whichis why he left so early.

I have no doubt he will find a way to play in the finals. If his partner has a baby this month, which is when she is due, then he will leave shortly after and quarantine.

Reckon tomorrow night's game will play a big part in determining our team.

If my maths is right...
If Richmond win we can't move from 5th, neither up nor down.
So I'd suspect we'd give Shuey, Yeo, Sheed another week, probably give Naitanui a rest, Allen will rest his cork, Kennedy freshen up.

No point taking ANY risks.

Probably already said in the thread, but a small chance of taking Brisbane's spot in the top 4 if they drop a game. Also 6% to make up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ainsworth stays it seems. The only thing I would like him to work on is finding that balance between following the player he is stopping and focusing on the ball.
Hasn't found the balance yet but if he is finding his niche then good for him.

Ryan to the midfield is something i have wanted but never thought Simmo would give it a shot! If we do this we need to get Cameron up to speed to play as that small forward with Ryan having Rioli style minutes in the midfield.

Waterman 1.0 (come 2.0) will be back on our list and play high half forward next season should compliment Ryan and hopefully Rioli with them taking turns rolling through the mid.

I am sure it may have been covered somewhere in a thread but can someone tell me why Cripps is away for so long for the birth of his child? And before anyone jumps down my throat yes I know how important that his childs birth his and have no issue with him being there for it but why 4 weeks? Is that because of the quarantine? When is he due back?

Under no circumstances do we need a North Melbourne win coupled with injuries to key senior players.

The way we’re racking up injuries, against North, I would NOT risk any of:

- Yeo
- Shuey
- Sheed
- Allen
- Sheppard

OUT: Gov (inj), Allen (inj/managed), Sheppard (managed), Brander (if injured)

IN: Williams, Cameron, Edwards, Ah Chee

Brayshaw was meh - so slow, but may retain spot due to lack of replacements. Plus only his first game, so gets a pass.

North can be randomly competitive - see Brisbane game, and a few others. They won’t be easy beats.

Ryan's field kicking and decision making are so good, a move into the midfield one day is actually plausible

Ainsworth future undoubtedly lies as a stopper. He is nothing special, but he is fit and he can certainly nullify an opponent when given a job
Ainsworth does more than his basic stats indicate. He is quite a smart player who gets in taps, knock ons and blocks and things like that. I’d like to see him put on some weight to increase his strength, he’s got the frame. No superstar but could be a more than useful role player eventually, I think they wiI continue to persevere with him, he’s got material to work with. Has an ungainly style, but he is more effective than he looks. Fairly quick hands.

Last edited:
Ainsworth does more than his basic stats indicate. He is quite a smart player who gets in taps, knock ons and blocks and things like that. I’d like to see him put on some weight to increase his strength, he’s got the frame. No superstar but could be a more than useful role player eventually, I think they wiI continue to persevere with him, he’s got material to work with. Has an ungainly style, but he is more effective than he looks. Fairly quick hands.

Disagree - he's a liability with the ball - looks flustered and often gets caught.

However - he did a good job on Daniel in the second half last week and a job last night.

If that's his role - and we need it - then he has a spot - just don't expect too much offensively.

If the cats win tomorrow we'll play our strongest team. If they lose, we'll give Kennedy, XON, other sore players a rest.
Should play the strongest team anyway, as the door to top 4 would still be slightly ajar even if Geelong lose. We'd be relying on Brisbane, Geelong or Richmond losing games against weak sides.

It is nice that 5th is the lowest we can finish now.

Disagree - he's a liability with the ball - looks flustered and often gets caught.

However - he did a good job on Daniel in the second half last week and a job last night.

If that's his role - and we need it - then he has a spot - just don't expect too much offensively.
His hesitation and uncertainty could well improve with confidence, experience and maturity. He's played less than 10 games. I don't know why they have made him so thin, same applies to Brander. If you are frail you are obviously going to come out second best in a contact situation.

Yeah Ainsworth has Hutchings written all over him. Hopefully he can be durable and mod a better peak. Not really someone you want the ball in hand.

His hesitation and uncertainty could well improve with confidence, experience and maturity. He's played less than 10 games. I don't know why they have made him so thin, same applies to Brander. If you are frail you are obviously going to come out second best in a contact situation.
Brander is surprisingly huge. He lives a few houses down from me and I see him often. He looks frail on TV but * running into that man-mountain. I also chased him on jacob's ladder one day and got completely burned. These guys are insanely fit for their size.

1599798115004.png

We leaned pretty heavily on the same guys over and over. Others like Brayshaw and Waterman may have run through the midfield at stages (particularly in the third quarter when there wasn't a centre bounce other than the one to start the quarter), but it was always the same guys lining up at restarts with just O'Neill spelling whoever was having a rest.

Cole played exclusively on a wing in the first half, he went back to replace Gov in the second half and Brander pushed up to the wing. That was the only real structural change we made that I noticed.

Duggan may be a midfielder now. Especially if we don't get Shuey or Redden back for a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back