Changes for next year, Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

He didn't do any contact work until February this year after having shoulder surgery .He played both JLT games .
It's a worry that he's had both shoulders operated on in a short time and from seemingly innocuous incidents.
Probably a better sign that the one he already had reconstructed didn't go again.

Out GF team
In VFL team

We have to give the blue baggers some hope b4 their season takes a dive
umm - NO crush them early, crush them hard - no false hope - the Tigers should win every game next year by 50 or 100.

but seriously - they (blooze) should be better next season - they were starting to get it together towards the end of 2019

Best 22 after the trade period according to Fox Sports. No Nank.

RICHMOND

B: Dylan Grimes, Alex Rance, David Astbury

HB: Bachar Houli, Nick Vlastuin, Jayden Short

C: Marlion Pickett Dion Prestia, Josh Caddy

HF: Shai Bolton, Tom Lynch, Shane Edwards

F: Daniel Rioli, Jack Riewoldt, Jason Castagna

Foll: Ivan Soldo, Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin

I/C: Nathan Broad, Jack Graham, Kane Lambert, Sydney Stack

Best 22 after the trade period according to Fox Sports. No Nank.

RICHMOND

B: Dylan Grimes, Alex Rance, David Astbury

HB: Bachar Houli, Nick Vlastuin, Harley Bennell

C: Marlion Pickett Dion Prestia, Josh Caddy

HF: Shai Bolton, Tom Lynch, Shane Edwards

F: Daniel Rioli, Jack Riewoldt, Jason Castagna

Foll: Ivan Soldo, Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin

I/C: Nathan Broad, Jack Graham, Kane Lambert, Sydney Stack
EFA

And Ross has him covered in just about everything else. You’ve just cherry picked three random stats where Graham has his measure and used that to form a weak argument.

What are we actually debating? You’re debating with yourself. Like I said, read over my original comment. I never said Ross is better than Graham or Pickett (I never even mentioned Pickett). I just said he will go past Graham eventually. Ross is a taller, stronger, faster version of Graham who will find more of the ball.

I love Graham, but Ross has a higher ceiling.

'25: Lynch
'24: Martin
'23:
'22: Ross, Lambert, Cotchin

The club only has five players on long term contracts currently. Ross, a first year player is one of them. Youd think the club rates him highly and rightly so he has shown a lot of promise.

I cant find a spot for him in the 22 but wouldn't surprise me if he is in the round 1 team

Graham is still only 21 himself

Last edited:
'25: Lynch
'23:
'23: Ross, Lambert, Cotchin

The club only has five players on long term contracts currently. Ross, a first year player is one of them. Youd think the club rates him highly and rightly so he has shown a lot of promise.

I cant find a spot for him in the 22 but wouldn't surprise me if he is in the round 1 team

Graham is still only 21 himself
Didn't realise Ross was contracted out to 2023. Shows the club thinks he will be a beauty.

Gee that's a strong team. One challenge we will have is developing kids through exposure at AFL level. What a problem to have!

Mine would be pretty Conservative:

Astbury. Grimes. Broad.
Houli. Rance. Vlastuin.
Caddy. Martin. Lambert.
Castagna. Lynch. Edwards.
Rioli. Riewoldt. Bolton.
Nankervis. Cotchin. Prestia.
Stack. Pickett. Soldo. Graham.

Didn't realise Ross was contracted out to 2023. Shows the club thinks he will be a beauty.

25: Lynch
'23:

sticks out like dogs balls when looking at the contract list

1572053921671.png

Last edited:
i think our absolute best 22 right now at any stage next year would be

FB: Broad - Rance - Grimes
HB: Vlastuin - Astbury - Houli
C: Caddy - Prestia - Edwards
HF: Higgins - Lynch - Bolton
FF: Rioli - Riewoldt - Castagna
R: Nankervis - Cotchin - Martin
I: Soldo - Pickett - Stack - Lambert - Graham - Ross - Short - Baker - Menadue - RCD - Chol - Balta - CCJ - Kmac

take your pick from the bench. gonna be real competitive for spots next year because our depth is that good. the next best 8 or 9 players after the 22 would be stiff not to be playing. also that is one sexy backline

Lambert in starting 22 over Higgins every day of the week.

Mine would be pretty Conservative:

Astbury. Grimes. Broad.
Houli. Rance. Vlastuin.
Caddy. Martin. Lambert.
Castagna. Lynch. Edwards.
Rioli. Riewoldt. Bolton.
Nankervis. Cotchin. Prestia.
Stack. Pickett. Soldo. Graham.

25: Lynch
'23:

sticks out like dogs balls when looking at the contract list

View attachment 770549
Thanks for sharing. Not much to worry about from a contract perspective until year after next

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i cant help but look at where we want to get to as far as development goes.

I really believe that Stack Graham Balta and Ross have to play most games to allow us to improve.We also need to make sure we have enough kids with enough games behind them so its a smooth transition when a lot of the big guns retire over the next 2 to 4 yrs.
Going by vfl reports and what they have done RC-D, CC-J, and DE-S are not far away. In fact what i have seen of them they look impressive.

Now this never goes down well but we do have a bottom 6 or 8 in the 22 and it is incumbent upon those in charge to look for better, look for improvement, thats despite winning the flag.Of course this brings up the question of well do we need to improve, I dont think you will find too many who think otherwise.

For me theres three big bolters to come into the team that won the flag.Thats the latter three mentioned. imo the first four mentioned will be regulars and if not for injuries could well have a premiership medallion hanging around their necks.
So in essence and people will say im crazy but from a premiership team still in its window i can see up to 6 or 7 changes on a regular basis.

Im going to phrase this this way. We have just had a horror run of injuries and this is the team thats left.

B/ Grimes - Astbury - Vlastuin
HB/ DE-S - Balta - Rance. Fair dinkum if this was our round 1 back half i would not be complaining.

C/ Pickett - Cotchin - Ross. Soldo aside who continues to improve each yr thats some midfield.
R/ Soldo - Martin - Prestia

HF/ Edwards - Riewoldt - Lambert. A young promising ruck/fwd who offers a real point of difference to Nank/Soldo
F/ CC-J - Lynch - Castagna

Int/ Stack - Bolton - Graham - RC-D. All genuine mids they offer size grunt pace and all can play fwd if need be or as a part of rotations.

If we copped the injuries to the obvious absentees who would have a problem. in many cases they are potential significant upgrades.

i cant help but look at where we want to get to as far as development goes.

I really believe that Stack Graham Balta and Ross have to play most games to allow us to improve.We also need to make sure we have enough kids with enough games behind them so its a smooth transition when a lot of the big guns retire over the next 2 to 4 yrs.
Going by vfl reports and what they have done RC-D, CC-J, and DE-S are not far away. In fact what i have seen of them they look impressive.

Now this never goes down well but we do have a bottom 6 or 8 in the 22 and it is incumbent upon those in charge to look for better, look for improvement, thats despite winning the flag.Of course this brings up the question of well do we need to improve, I dont think you will find too many who think otherwise.

For me theres three big bolters to come into the team that won the flag.Thats the latter three mentioned. imo the first four mentioned will be regulars and if not for injuries could well have a premiership medallion hanging around their necks.
So in essence and people will say im crazy but from a premiership team still in its window i can see up to 6 or 7 changes on a regular basis.

Im going to phrase this this way. We have just had a horror run of injuries and this is the team thats left.

B/ Grimes - Astbury - Vlastuin
HB/ DE-S - Balta - Rance. Fair dinkum if this was our round 1 back half i would not be complaining.

C/ Pickett - Cotchin - Ross. Soldo aside who continues to improve each yr thats some midfield.
R/ Soldo - Martin - Prestia

HF/ Edwards - Riewoldt - Lambert. A young promising ruck/fwd who offers a real point of difference to Nank/Soldo
F/ CC-J - Lynch - Castagna

Int/ Stack - Bolton - Graham - RC-D. All genuine mids they offer size grunt pace and all can play fwd if need be or as a part of rotations.

If we copped the injuries to the obvious absentees who would have a problem. in many cases they are potential significant upgrades.

Yeah... maybe for the praccie preseason games .

Then Houli, Rioli, Broad, Caddy, Short will all come in. So, as you hinted at, when the injuries hit, those players you want to get development games into will come in. We dont have a bottom 6 that need replacing. The team won the premiership. There are no weak links. The weak links were playing in the VFL by the end of the year. They have been moved on.

Yeah... maybe for the praccie preseason games .

Then Houli, Rioli, Broad, Caddy, Short will all come in. So, as you hinted at, when the injuries hit, those players you want to get development games into will come in. We dont have a bottom 6 that need replacing. The team won the premiership. There are no weak links. The weak links were playing in the VFL by the end of the year. They have been moved on.
Lmfao. Our bottom 6 are no better than most teams bottom 6.Yes there are plenty of links that can and should be improved upon

What weak links that played more than 5 or so games were moved on.
To be a weak link you have to get a game.Oh i see you mean Ellis the softest player in the entire league, but wait he played in a premiership and i agree he was a weak link.

Are you seriously going to say Graham is not best 22 or that Pickett if not for Grahams injury in his one game is not best 22. Or Ross if not for the timing of his injury he was would not have played, or after 13 games this yr we are not going to put games into Balta, or how about Stacky copping an injury at the wrong time fmd mate like all clubs we have a bottom 6 and some of them are only average at best. We are lucky we have upgrades in our system and i hate to tell ya they will replace premiership favorites. Yep we have a bottom 6 and if we sit on our hands and dont try to replace em we will get overrun.

I will eat my hat if Balta , Graham, Stack, Pickett and Ross dont play the majority of games next yr that means premiership players will miss out and they will miss for good reasons.

Lmfao. Our bottom 6 are no better than most teams bottom 6.Yes there are plenty of links that can and should be improved upon

To be a weak link you have to get a game.Oh i see you mean Ellis the softest player in the entire league, but wait he played in a premiership and i agree he was a weak link.

Are you seriously going to say Graham is not best 22 or that Pickett if not for Grahams injury in his one game is not best 22. Or Ross if not for the timing of his injury he was would not have played, or after 13 games this yr we are not going to put games into Balta, or how about Stacky copping an injury at the wrong time fmd mate like all clubs we have a bottom 6 and some of them are only average at best. We are lucky we have upgrades in our system and i hate to tell ya they will replace premiership favorites. Yep we have a bottom 6 and if we sit on our hands and dont try to replace em we will get overrun.

I will eat my hat if Balta , Graham, Stack, Pickett and Ross dont play the majority of games next yr that means premiership players will miss out and they will miss for good reasons.
What are our weak bottom 6 that need replacing?!

B: Broad, Rance, Grimes
B: Houli, Astbury, Vlastuin
C: Caddy, Cotchin, Lambert
HF: Edwards, Reiwoldt, Bolton
F: Rioli, Lynch, Castagna
R: Nank, Martin, Prestia

I: Soldo, Pickett, Stack, Short, Baker, Graham, Ross, McIntosh, Higgins

There’s 27 blokes who will genuinely go into pre season thinking they deserve a best 22 spot.

Then add in the kids coming through, a few of which will always take big strides over summer and pop up as genuine options:
CCJ, RCD, Naish, Balta, Chol, DES, Garthwaite

Don’t envy match selection if all those guys are fit and firing for round 1 next year. You look back to when Dimma started almost a decade ago and just about every name there would get a game easy.

I wanna see CCJ, Naish, Ross and RCD get 5-10 games each next year...

I think this is it, with a list like ours and having learned lessons from 2018, you just have to rotate players in and out when we don’t have too many injuries. Anyone with niggly injuries, or who is not at their best, or is working on something, or needs to learn a new role, or needs a freshen up, give them a week or two off or some games in the reserves and get the fresh hungry troops into the ones. It might cost you the odd game but you don’t want to:

A) burn your best 22 out,
B) expose your best 22 to too much opposition scrutiny,
C) leave good players languishing in the reserves for long periods.

I think I have posted before that 11 of our 2019 Premiership team played in the reserves in 2019...Caddy, Nankervis, Short, Pickett, Soldo, Rioli, Bolton Broad, Baker, Ellis. Not sure whether Castagna also had a run around in the twos practice match during round one on his way back from injury but I suspect he did. So half the GF team did time in the suburbs. You would also presume Graham, Stack, and probably Ross would have been picked in the GF team had they not been hampered by injuries and those three also played significant time in the VFL. 39 players played in the AFL Team. Only two played every game and only five others played all bar one match, two others played all bar two matches. Of the players who did not play in the AFL GF significant games were given to: Garthwaite 7, Balta 13, Butler 7, Chol 9, Menadue 6, Ross 7, Mcintosh 16, Higgins 13, Stack 17, and Graham 16.

I would love to see this sort of spread even if we didn’t have so many injuries, where even our best players miss a game or two to freshen up and create some opportunities for the players who are not automatic selections. The situation where two guys are close in performance and one gets 22 matches and the other gets none needs to be avoided.

Our best 22 missed roughly 120 matches due to injury in 2019 but even if you had a more normal number like 80 and you rest or rotate most players for a couple of matches, that 120 represents an average of 8 matches you can get into another 15 players from your list. And I really think this is loosely what the club should be trying to do.

So my best team for round 1 might be:

Grimes Astbury Vlastuin
Houli Rance Stack
Bolton Martin Lambert
Rioli Riewoldt Edwards
Castagna Lynch Baker

Soldo Cotchin Prestia

I/C Broad Nankervis(I really like the second ruck if we can afford it) Ross(if over his foot properly) Pickett

I am really happy with that team if they are all spot on. Good luck Crapton. 😂 Equally could go with any of the 5 best alternatives without being troubled in the slightest, Caddy Short, Graham, Higgins, Balta. Just want the fittest and most in form players from that 27.

And then of course players like Naish, CCJ, Egg-Smith, Chol, Garthwaite and maybe RCD who I think we need to be getting games into, and Macintosh who is good enough to slip in seamlessly. And let us not forget our new draftees, there could be another Stack/Ross/Higgins/Pickett in there, or more than one.

Of the players who haven’t made my best 22, all things being equal I want Caddy, Short, Graham, Higgins, Balta averaging at least about 15 matches. Then I want Naish, CCJ, Egg-Smith, Chol, Garthwaite and RCD averaging about 8 matches. And then I ideally want to get around 10-15 games total into the new intake between them...

So I need my best 22 missing around 130 matches at least. Let us say injuries and suspensions will normally account for around 70 of those...most best 22 players would be sitting out 2-3 matches resting or in the VFL to accomodate my desire to get a decent amount of games into the best alternatives.

I am not as worried as others about finishing top 2 or top 4. With the current finals format with the pre finals bye I am happy to take a fit and firing 22 into 4 finals matches at any venue if required rather than a team that has peaked into a series of home finals.

I think this is it, with a list like ours and having learned lessons from 2018, you just have to rotate players in and out when we don’t have too many injuries. Anyone with niggly injuries, or who is not at their best, or is working on something, or needs to learn a new role, or needs a freshen up, give them a week or two off or some games in the reserves and get the fresh hungry troops into the ones. It might cost you the odd game but you don’t want to:

A) burn your best 22 out,
B) expose your best 22 to too much opposition scrutiny,
C) leave good players languishing in the reserves for long periods.

I think I have posted before that 11 of our 2019 Premiership team played in the reserves in 2019...Caddy, Nankervis, Short, Pickett, Soldo, Rioli, Bolton Broad, Baker, Ellis. Not sure whether Castagna also had a run around in the twos practice match during round one on his way back from injury but I suspect he did. So half the GF team did time in the suburbs. You would also presume Graham, Stack, and probably Ross would have been picked in the GF team had they not been hampered by injuries and those three also played significant time in the VFL. 39 players played in the AFL Team. Only two played every game and only five others played all bar one match, two others played all bar two matches. Of the players who did not play in the AFL GF significant games were given to: Garthwaite 7, Balta 13, Butler 7, Chol 9, Menadue 6, Ross 7, Mcintosh 16, Higgins 13, Stack 17, and Graham 16.

I would love to see this sort of spread even if we didn’t have so many injuries, where even our best players miss a game or two to freshen up and create some opportunities for the players who are not automatic selections. The situation where two guys are close in performance and one gets 22 matches and the other gets none needs to be avoided.

Our best 22 missed roughly 120 matches due to injury in 2019 but even if you had a more normal number like 80 and you rest or rotate most players for a couple of matches, that 120 represents an average of 8 matches you can get into another 15 players from your list. And I really think this is loosely what the club should be trying to do.

So my best team for round 1 might be:

Grimes Astbury Vlastuin
Houli Rance Stack
Bolton Martin Lambert
Rioli Riewoldt Edwards
Castagna Lynch Baker

Soldo Cotchin Prestia

I/C Broad Nankervis(I really like the second ruck if we can afford it) Ross(if over his foot properly) Pickett

I am really happy with that team if they are all spot on. Equally could go with any of the 5 best alternatives without being troubled in the slightest, Caddy Short, Graham, Higgins, Balta. Just want the fittest and most in form players from that 27.

And then of course players like Naish, CCJ, Egg-Smith, Chol, Garthwaite and maybe RCD who I think we need to be getting games into, and Macintosh who is good enough to slip in seamlessly. And let us not forget our new draftees, there could be another Stack/Ross/Higgins/Pickett in there, or more than one.

Of the players who haven’t made my best 22, all things being equal I want Caddy, Short, Graham, Higgins, Balta averaging at least about 15 matches. Then I want Naish, CCJ, Egg-Smith, Chol, Garthwaite and RCD averaging about 8 matches. And then I ideally want to get around 10-15 games total into the new intake between them...

So I need my best 22 missing around 130 matches at least. Let us say injuries and suspensions will normally account for around 70 of those...most best 22 players would be sitting out 2-3 matches resting or in the VFL to accomodate my desire to get a decent amount of games into the best alternatives.

I am not as worried as others about finishing top 2 or top 4. With the current finals format with the pre finals bye I am happy to take a fit and firing 22 into 4 finals matches at any venue if required rather than a team that has peaked into a series of home finals.
Agree...+1

Grimes Astbury Vlastuin
Houli Rance Stack
Bolton Ross Picket
Lambert Riewoldt Edwards
Rioli Lynch Martin

Soldo Cotchin Prestia

Caddy, Castagna, Balta, Graham

You missed my point. There are no weak links in the team. The weak links weren't getting game. Moore, Menadue, Weller, Butler, Townsend (and Ellis).
I agree... Graham, Ross, Stack (more than likely Pickett) are best 22. They were not in the team due to injury. So 'blooding' youngsters I believe you were arguing, doesn't include them.

It's Balta, CCJ, DES and RCD I'm disagreeing with you about. With Stack, Ross and Graham to come back in on top of those four. My point is Houli, Rioli, Nank and Broad are not coming out. So it will be interesting who R1 is missing (assuming no injuries).

One for Ellis. Baker perhaps. But you don't start dropping players from a premiership team when they are still dominating games. To suggest Houli is bottom 6 by leaving him out of your team is laughable.

I am looking forward and hope two kids get more than a handful of games though, and that's CCJ and RCD. But they come in on merit. I can see CCJ pushing Nank out, and RCD intonthe mids, pushing someone (??) out.

FB: Astbury, Rance*, Vlaustin
HB: Short, Grimes, Houli*
C: Caddy, Cotchin*, Pickett
HF: Stack, Riewoldt, Lambert
FB: Rioli, Lynch, Edwards*
Foll: Soldo, Prestia*, Martin*
Int: Broad, Ross, Castagna, Nank*

All of the players with * need to be rested through the year for a 4-5 game stint. This will allow them to rejuvenate and allow for other players time in the team.
Rance=Balta
Houli=Egg-Smith
Cotch=Collier-Dawkins
Edwards=Arts
Prestia=Graham
Martin=Macintosh
Nank=CCJ

Going to be a real challenge managing the list in 2020 if we are blessed with an relatively injury free year. I really don't mind if we get injuries early. It's only late injuries to our stars that would give us reason to be concerned because, despite wonderful depth, we can't replace Dusty/Lynch/Prestia/Edwards when push come to shove

Remove this Banner Ad

Back