Preview Changes for the Mighty Dogs into the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Nightmares of Cordy being on the backfoot and Ben brown taking multiple easy marks. Also visions of Cordy slowly fading while chasing Pickett will keep me up all night.

Cordy defensive forward on Lever. Schache back.
This would be peak Bevo. I’m here for it.

Might slap some dollars on Cordy first goal, imagine Zaine Cordy scored first goal in two grand finals for the dogs - it’s that kinda world we live in at the moment, nothing would surprise me

Cordy defensive forward on Lever. Schache back.
I could see this happening, but is it any better than Schache on Lever (like he did on Aliir) and Gardner back? We must really value Cordy's experience over Gardner's ability

I could see this happening, but is it any better than Schache on Lever (like he did on Aliir) and Gardner back? We must really value Cordy's experience over Gardner's ability
I really think it’s that simple, we value Cordys experience over Gardners ability. I think Gardners definitely proven himself as the more capable player but GF day is a different beast and Cordys intensity and the way he plays the game may just offer us a little more. I wouldn’t be looking into it to say the club doesn’t trust Gardy, they obviously do if they played him in a prelim - just they think in this particular game Cordy will offer more. Can’t really doubt them at this stage but it’s not the call I’d make personally

Is Cordy more intense? He doesn't actually play with meaningful aggression where he makes opponents earn it, he just has zero discipline. Couple that with his frankly s**t positioning and he's going to be trailing his opponent to every entry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really think it’s that simple, we value Cordys experience over Gardners ability. I think Gardners definitely proven himself as the more capable player but GF day is a different beast and Cordys intensity and the way he plays the game may just offer us a little more. I wouldn’t be looking into it to say the club doesn’t trust Gardy, they obviously do if they played him in a prelim - just they think in this particular game Cordy will offer more. Can’t really doubt them at this stage but it’s not the call I’d make personally
Yeah I'm definitely going to back in the club's opinion over my own (they're the ones that got us to the GF, not some nuffy fans). My concern is more around the optics of trusting a guy all year, him proving himself even in finals, then seemingly dropping him because we're unsure of his ability to overcome nerves. I trust it's the right decision, just slightly concerned over what it means for Gardner long term

I thought Gardner was great defensively last week but trying to understand this decision there was one play that sticks out to me - when he got caught holding the ball for being too slow to get ball to foot. It’s quite a regular occurrence for him he’s just not very good at defending the ground ball. This is the one part of the game Cordy excels in and the speed and intensity just goes through the roof on grand final day that Gards could get found out on the day in that aspect. I think the clubs banking on ground ball defence being more important to the win than aerial defence, let’s be honest if Ben Brown is allowed to take uncontested lead up marks on grand final day there’s a lot going wrong for us.

Ive very quickly processed all feelings from denial > anger > acceptance > positive 😂 * me I need game day to hurry up

Club must be really concerned over his nervousness, and therefore ability to turn up on Saturday and do his job. It's the only justification I can see for dropping Gardner over Cordy, as on ability and output this year it's pretty clear Gardner is ahead of Cordy
I tend to agree, I was leaning towards him but was concerned the big game nerves could hit him. We know Cordy will be fine with that aspect but his lack of leg speed has worried me.

Schache back? Did you not see him get 7 kicked on him by Peter Wright of all people ?

First of all Schache conceeded 3 of those. Cordy the other 3. One was a ruck infringement against Bruce.

Just because they are named on the team sheet next to the opposition player doesn't mean they spend the entire game glued to them.

Are people seriously melting over Gardner and Cordy, it's much of a muchness really, both have big weaknesses, Keath will take Brown and McDonald has been horribly out of form and has kicked only 8 goals total in the entire second half of season who they will play on anyway. It is not a big deal.

First of all Schache conceeded 3 of those. Cordy the other 3. One was a ruck infringement against Bruce.

Just because they are named on the team sheet next to the opposition player doesn't mean they spend the entire game glued to them.
Wasn’t Schache injured in that game too? From memory he was the only defender that looked semi competent before he first went off with the knee. Came back on but wasn’t great and missed the next week so was obviously troubling him. Might be a different week I’m thinking of though?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back