Prediction Changes Dogs V Pies Friday 7 July Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Which means one of Quaynor/Maynard won’t really have a match up, nor will Howe.

It’s going to be tricky, Collingwood have an extra tall defender on Fremantle which I think is going to mean we will need to be creative. It wouldn’t shock me to see Bontempelli spend more time forward to stretch their defence, or bringing in one of Buku or Raak and going slightly smaller in defence. Not sure we can make many changes to last weeks backline and I’m already assuming Ed plays.

Fun times ahead.
That's quite possibly what will happen which makes it important for Caleb to get back to the middle which makes it important for Red to get up.

Positively salivating over this game, win, lose or draw.

If Mihocek and Maynard are out, that's at least as bad as us missing Jones and JJ (although ours is concentrated more in defence unfortunately)

Naughton played a very selfless game against Fremantle. At times he dragged Alex Pearce out of our forward line and I think that allowed Jamarra to really flourish.

Darcy Moore is clearly a smarter player than Alex Pearce but I suspect the plan will be similar. I imagine the match ups in our forward line will look something like:

Moore to Naughton
Murphy to Jamarra
Maynard/Quaynor to Weightman
Frampton to Lobb

Which means one of Quaynor/Maynard won’t really have a match up, nor will Howe.

It’s going to be tricky, Collingwood have an extra tall defender on Fremantle which I think is going to mean we will need to be creative. It wouldn’t shock me to see Bontempelli spend more time forward to stretch their defence, or bringing in one of Buku or Raak and going slightly smaller in defence. Not sure we can make many changes to last weeks backline and I’m already assuming Ed plays.

Fun times ahead.

I’m interested to see what our plans are. Because it really needs to avoid being a plan of kicking it long to Moore & Howe all night.

I’m interested to see what our plans are. Because it really needs to avoid being a plan of kicking it long to Moore & Howe all night.
Seth Meyers Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I'd bring in Artie.

Collingwood love that run and gun style off half back, I think we need all the fasty, speedy pressure players we can
Agree and Artie has had a freshen up so should be 🍒 ripe to apply that forward pressure 😉
VFL player summary: Round 15
A summary of the 12 AFL-listed players that featured in Footscray’s 32-point win over Coburg.
July 4, 2023 @ wbfc app
(5) Jedd Busslinger
18 disposals, five marks, two tackles
Jedd was impactful in the air against Coburg, showcasing his aerial abilities as he continues to string together matches at VFL level. He is building well and learning lots from those more experienced players around him.
(8) Charlie Clarke
12 disposals, four tackles, three clearances, one goal
Charlie brings great energy, and is creative inside 50. He hit the scoreboard and will be keen to keep adding to his tally in the back-half of the VFL season.
(10) Sam Darcy
16 disposals, six marks, 12 hit-outs, three goals
Sam enjoyed an effective return, following four weeks on the sidelines with a jaw injury. His marking was strong, converted accurately in front of goal and won 12 hit-outs when relieving Jordon Sweet.
(13) Oskar Baker
23 disposals, five marks, four tackles
Oskar was one of the Bulldogs’ biggest accumulators on Saturday, collecting 23 touches in tough conditions. He ran well and was important across the day.
(17) Josh Bruce
13 disposals, four marks
Having someone of Josh’s calibre and experience around provides great insight for the younger players, not just in defence but at the opposite end of the ground too.
(24) Buku Khamis
11 disposals, three marks, nine hit-outs, four goals
Buku was fruitful in front of the big sticks, coming away with four majors from 11 disposals. His versatility is a great asset, as is his marking ability.
(26) Dom Bedendo
Seven disposals, one mark, one goal
Dom was quiet in his long-awaited return from a groin injury, but was to be expected given he has not played all year. The fact he was able to hit the scoreboard was a great sign.
(27) Robbie McComb
25 disposals, three marks, four clearances, one goal
Robbie enjoyed a solid outing at the weekend, with the stats to back it up. It was good to see him impact effectively.
(32) Arthur Jones
Six disposals, one goal
Arthur continues to build on his game, and is learning every week. While he didn’t find the footy as much as he might’ve liked, his contribution is important.
(36) Luke Cleary
21 disposals, four marks, one tackle
Luke added another well-rounded performance to his campaign on Saturday. He looks settled in defence and knows how to use his strengths to his advantage.
(40) Cody Raak
11 disposals, five marks, three tackles, one goal
Cody enjoyed another important outing up forward, after spending a mix of his season inside 50 and also in defence. He hit the scoreboard once and took some strong marks.
(41) Jordon Sweet
10 disposals, five tackles, four clearances, 49 hit-outs
Jordon’s dominance in the ruck continues to shine through, winning 49 hit-outs in tricky conditions. He gives the mids first-use and follows this up with his tackling and clearance work.

VFL player summary: Round 15
A summary of the 12 AFL-listed players that featured in Footscray’s 32-point win over Coburg.
July 4, 2023 @ wbfc app
(5) Jedd Busslinger
18 disposals, five marks, two tackles
Jedd was impactful in the air against Coburg, showcasing his aerial abilities as he continues to string together matches at VFL level. He is building well and learning lots from those more experienced players around him.
(8) Charlie Clarke
12 disposals, four tackles, three clearances, one goal
Charlie brings great energy, and is creative inside 50. He hit the scoreboard and will be keen to keep adding to his tally in the back-half of the VFL season.
(10) Sam Darcy
16 disposals, six marks, 12 hit-outs, three goals
Sam enjoyed an effective return, following four weeks on the sidelines with a jaw injury. His marking was strong, converted accurately in front of goal and won 12 hit-outs when relieving Jordon Sweet.
(13) Oskar Baker
23 disposals, five marks, four tackles
Oskar was one of the Bulldogs’ biggest accumulators on Saturday, collecting 23 touches in tough conditions. He ran well and was important across the day.
(17) Josh Bruce
13 disposals, four marks
Having someone of Josh’s calibre and experience around provides great insight for the younger players, not just in defence but at the opposite end of the ground too.
(24) Buku Khamis
11 disposals, three marks, nine hit-outs, four goals
Buku was fruitful in front of the big sticks, coming away with four majors from 11 disposals. His versatility is a great asset, as is his marking ability.
(26) Dom Bedendo
Seven disposals, one mark, one goal
Dom was quiet in his long-awaited return from a groin injury, but was to be expected given he has not played all year. The fact he was able to hit the scoreboard was a great sign.
(27) Robbie McComb
25 disposals, three marks, four clearances, one goal
Robbie enjoyed a solid outing at the weekend, with the stats to back it up. It was good to see him impact effectively.
(32) Arthur Jones
Six disposals, one goal
Arthur continues to build on his game, and is learning every week. While he didn’t find the footy as much as he might’ve liked, his contribution is important.
(36) Luke Cleary
21 disposals, four marks, one tackle
Luke added another well-rounded performance to his campaign on Saturday. He looks settled in defence and knows how to use his strengths to his advantage.
(40) Cody Raak
11 disposals, five marks, three tackles, one goal
Cody enjoyed another important outing up forward, after spending a mix of his season inside 50 and also in defence. He hit the scoreboard once and took some strong marks.
(41) Jordon Sweet
10 disposals, five tackles, four clearances, 49 hit-outs
Jordon’s dominance in the ruck continues to shine through, winning 49 hit-outs in tricky conditions. He gives the mids first-use and follows this up with his tackling and clearance work.
I think with the pies run and gun style we do need more pressure in the fwd half. While arty has been ok at this he seems to have lost a bit of confidence. Personally I’d bring in Charlie Clarke. A slow start to the season after missed a fair chunk of the pre season but his last month he seems to be covering the ground well and his pressure and tackling been first rate. I think it’s around 4/5 tackles in the forward half the last 4 games. Also been hitting the scoreboard and his energy is something that might spark us.
I’m fairness he hasn’t been close the first half of the year and I had some concerns however I feel more confident now he will be the player I thought we’d get.

In saying that I’d quite happily go in with no change or just Richards for either Hannan or VDW.
We will win Friday night. No doubt 🔴⚪🔵

If Raak and Cleary do make senior grade they will have played plenty of footy together and should understand each others games.

The long apprenticeship model was a strong point for Hawthorn for many years too.

And we could have:
Codys x 2
Calebs x 2
Baileys x 3
🤪

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive game this one. The top 4 opportunity is still there for the taking. Demons are looking very vulnerable with Fritsch's injury, general forward line issues and Oliver has been ruled out again today.

Hey guys, are your mob training at Whitten or still at the oval in Braybrook?
Assume they'd be training today considering a Friday game?
Cheers
Today should be main session at VUWO before an incredibly light captains run tomorrow before Friday. Sadly no spectators allowed due to the re-development.

Good thing we're off Skinners reserve, I blame that rock hard surface for a few of our tissue injuries.

Tricky selection week. Richards obviously comes back if fit. It will be interesting to see whether we drop somebody like Vandermeer to accommodate him and keep CD in the back 7, or if we drop a forward and have Daniel return to his previous role.

Outside of that, I wouldn't be surprised to see no change. West/Hannan/McNeil is the usual revolving door question. I missed most of the second half so can't speak to West's form, but apparently he was very good. A bit sick of swinging these guys in and out though, I'd rather we just commit to a couple of them for four or five games. No huge preference who we go with but a bit tired of this being decided by who played better the previous week.

Tricky selection week. Richards obviously comes back if fit. It will be interesting to see whether we drop somebody like Vandermeer to accommodate him and keep CD in the back 7, or if we drop a forward and have Daniel return to his previous role.

Outside of that, I wouldn't be surprised to see no change. West/Hannan/McNeil is the usual revolving door question. I missed most of the second half so can't speak to West's form, but apparently he was very good. A bit sick of swinging these guys in and out though, I'd rather we just commit to a couple of them for four or five games. No huge preference who we go with but a bit tired of this being decided by who played better the previous week.
VDM has been okay but I think it should be him. I'd prefer to keep Daniel down back until JJ returns for a bit of extra ball use and composure without adding too much to a returning Richards. We're dealing with a key back trio that are already suspect with the ball under any pressure so we need to balance that out with our best ball users temporarily. We're also already struggling to get someone like Smith involved without adding an extra mid/forward to the mix.

VDM has been okay but I think it should be him. I'd prefer to keep Daniel down back until JJ returns for a bit of extra ball use and composure without adding too much to a returning Richards. We're dealing with a key back trio that are already suspect with the ball under any pressure so we need to balance that out with our best ball users temporarily. We're also already struggling to get someone like Smith involved without adding an extra mid/forward to the mix.
VDM would make a pretty good sub. Can cover a few roles and can provide some 2nd half energy when the pace has gone out of the game.

Something like Richards and West into the 22 for VDM to sub and Hannan/McNeil out would be pretty ideal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back