Prediction Changes Dogs V Saints 18/3/2023 Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Does JJ still have much speed? If we want pace and dynamism back there (we should do) I’d be giving Gallagher a go if he’s up to speed/fit. I’d also like to get Cleary’s ball use into the team.
Yeah both good options, I’m growing tired of JJ - he still shows what he’s capable of rarely and makes you think he still should be in the side but then there’s a lot of bullshit inbetween. I’m probably giving him another week or two to perform otherwise he can work his way in from the 2s.

I don’t think we’ll move him back to HB anyway but I would like to see it personally, more likely is Gallagher who by all reports is pretty close - I think Bont gave him a big wrap recently.

I’d like to get Cleary in too but would probably rather some speed at this point, Doc seems to be worryingly slowing down and isn’t the lock he once was so maybe that’s Clearys path to a game?

We are nowhere near as bad as Melbourne made us look last week, skill errors from referred pressure, and simply skill errors, killed us. And the contrast in defences? Geez! Did they have any contested marks F50? They were loose and free all fricking night. Horrible. We fought and scrapped and fought and eventually scored, and then they responded, BANG! Same story, different night.
Lots of unrewarded holding of our forwards didnt help. And then Kozzy gets touched by Libba - twweeet! Holding free kick - WTF?
And apparently Rory was carrying an injury - how did we not know that?
Vent over

Having said all that we will put on a better show against the Aints, if we stop bombing balls long into crowds. Start leading and start finding those leads.
Ross will flood and defend as all his teams do, repeat entrys from our dominant midfield should be enough - eventually.

Why would you drop Baker after last week? Daniel/JJ firmly ahead of him there
Because I’m picking a side to get us to our best football, JJ & Daniel both have runs on the board and I’d be backing them to outperform Baker.

Nothing against him he’d be last out and first back in in my side, he’s in and around my side but I had JJ back in defence so he’s not relatable to Baker anyway and for all the talk about how poor Daniel was, and he was compared to what we expect from him, he still categorically had a better game than Baker, who was also far from our worst.

Because I’m picking a side to get us to our best football, JJ & Daniel both have runs on the board and I’d be backing them to outperform Baker.

Nothing against him he’d be last out and first back in in my side, he’s in and around my side but I had JJ back in defence so he’s not relatable to Baker anyway and for all the talk about how poor Daniel was, and he was compared to what we expect from him, he still categorically had a better game than Baker, who was also far from our worst.
I am assuming you didn't watch the disaster that was JJ down back then?

How many goals did Baker gift Melbourne from his poor kicks? Don't let Daniels inflated kick in stats make it appear he had a better game because he was absolutly woeful and at this point in time I have no idea what role he can play that adds value to our side

I am assuming you didn't watch the disaster that was JJ down back then?

How many goals did Baker gift Melbourne from his poor kicks? Don't let Daniels inflated kick in stats make it appear he had a better game because he was absolutly woeful and at this point in time I have no idea what role he can play that adds value to our side
JJ was worse than Baker I agree but I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt for his first hitout of the year, if he fails to step up sure he’s next to go.

Daniel had 4 tackles to Bakers 1 & more PAs which is exactly what he’s in the team for. Daniel had 1 more turnover from 16 more touches and he at least is an attacking kick which you can’t really say about Baker, that’s not what he’s in the team for.

Daniel’s turnovers were costly and not good enough but that’s an outlier for him, it’s just factually incorrect to say Daniel should be one to go before Baker based on this week, their careers and their upside to this team

In youthful enthusiasm

Out stale go through the motions experience
It does seem like this team needs some sort of spark.

Given their output at the moment is so poor, senior players like Hannan, JJ etc. need to make way for guys like Arthur Jones, Charlie Clarke, Garcia etc. I note that some of these guys are injured or underdone but I’d much prefer them getting 10 touches a game than the former.

JJ was worse than Baker I agree but I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt for his first hitout of the year, if he fails to step up sure he’s next to go.

Daniel had 4 tackles to Bakers 1 & more PAs which is exactly what he’s in the team for. Daniel had 1 more turnover from 16 more touches and he at least is an attacking kick which you can’t really say about Baker, that’s not what he’s in the team for.

Daniel’s turnovers were costly and not good enough but that’s an outlier for him, it’s just factually incorrect to say Daniel should be one to go before Baker based on this week, their careers and their upside to this team
How is your opinion "factually incorrect"?

What role does Daniel play in our team? Bakers is there and pretending Bailey Smith types can play it is the issue because they can't.

look at the impact Ed Langdon had.

Can Daniel play wing? In the air he won’t have an impact as we know but at least he can use his running capacity and skills around the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Baker played a blinder pre-season, was a little quiet against Melbourne but I'm expecting him to bounce back. Would be ridiculous to drop him as we have nobody really knocking down the door for that wing spot.

McLean probably has to come in for Hannan. West as the sub if he's ready, he can come on for a quarter or two and crash and bash and make his way into the side for the week after.

OUT:
Lobb, Darcy, Hannan

IN:
McLean, Khamis, Crozier, West (sub)

Hopefully Jones gets up. Should have a good day against Saints forward line.
McLean can't keep up anymore, wasn't the quickest anyway yet two knees haven't helped, he is backup at best. Looked well off the pace of the game for 3 quarters last sat night and the practise match against North.

Can Daniel play wing? In the air he won’t have an impact as we know but at least he can use his running capacity and skills around the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Would be a poor man’s Hunter IMO. I’d be giving Baker a few more and try and build his confidence. Always been a knock on his disposal but he has pace and some hardness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garcia is very highly rated at the club, I think we try hard to keep him.

I'd have West in my team this week. I actually don't think he's a better footballer than other options for the last couple of spots, but the team needs harness and attack on the ball more than it needs someone who looks good kicking the ball in space under no pressure.
I'd honestly give him CBAs as soon as the opposition threatens to gain multiple clearances. He's not going to win it himself but he will throw himself at the opposition ball winners and sometimes that's what you need.
Yep Garcias lack of playing time if down to injury than being fancied.

Bevo could swap Naughton and Bruce
Bruce is a better kick
Darcy lock-in forward pocket
Lobb in Pagans paddock
Garcia and West – in

Yes I would agree with that
However Melbourne where too tall Naughton
Sadly I thought he really struggled
I would like to see us play through Lobb a bit more
How did he struggle?

He equated for almost half our marks inside 50 and they were all contested if he kicks the 2 sitters he missed you wouldn't entertain it

How did he struggle?

He equated for almost half our marks inside 50 and they were all contested if he kicks the 2 sitters he missed you wouldn't entertain it

Clearly you see it differently to me

117 - 77

The much-heralded tall side failed badly

I will leave it at that – have a good day

How did he struggle?

Sometimes I'd like to take Naughton out of forward line to see how it functions with the midfielders. We definitely get caught up in the fact that Naughton is so good aerially that we consistnetly bomb the ball on top of our forwards heads. Now I don't know whether Naughton effect = correlation, or maybe our midfielders are just poor decision makers.

Sometimes I'd like to take Naughton out of forward line to see how it functions with the midfielders. We definitely get caught up in the fact that Naughton is so good aerially that we consistnetly bomb the ball on top of our forwards heads. Now I don't know whether Naughton effect = correlation, or maybe our midfielders are just poor decision makers.

Naughton has been unavailable for selection twice in the past 2 seasons.

McCartin and Wilkie were basically best on ground in both of those games. Our forward line has been diabolical with out him.

It’s lost in the coaches box for mine. Our coaches need to recognise against high pressure good sides that if our mids are bombing it in we can’t have the opposition intercept defender peeling off whilst our leading target is in no man’s land.

Think we forgot about the prelim schache to alir tactic where alir wasn’t allowed to peel off his man.

Our forward kicking against good sides is often woeful as well.

I want to see us include some players with a bit of grunt.
We could sure do with a Clay Smith or Liam Picken.

West or Garcia is a start. Do we have anyone else?

KM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back