Opinion Changes for the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

I have this game down as a L in my ladder predictor, a win here would be great if we wanna finish with a home final but I suspect we'll get done easily.

I imagine your ladder predictor for the Eagles has 22 L's.

I agree with your sentiment, but Banfield was a class player and a high draft pick. the 06 Grand final was in his veteran stage.
Our problem is that the recruiters didn't bring in cattle some years ago.

A high draft pick but hardly a class player. Most would remember Banfield as the workhorse he was.

Banfield was grunt

I agree with your sentiment, but Banfield was a class player and a high draft pick. the 06 Grand final was in his veteran stage.
Our problem is that the recruiters didn't bring in cattle some years ago.
As I just stated in another post the year we came stone motherless last (2010 I think) was the same year that GWS and Gold Coast (the year before) came into the competition and were given the bulk of the best players available in that draft, which meant we were consequently penalised as our first pick was not where (in a normal year) it should have been.

Just listening to Hackdorn on 6pr re Sheed - apparently Sheed is still suffering from soreness re knee post game. Is getting through games at WAFL level but is being tagged out of the game a fair bit which obviously is not going to help to build up his fitness so he can upgrade to AFL level.
If that's the case then I don't want to see him this year, shut him down and focus on getting him fit for next season

I also factor in performances in finals as a true and valuable indicator of players to persist with. That which irks me also is different standards that fans and club/mc apply to different players.

Hence my defense of Hutch. You need your workhorse types, Banfield as an example in our premiership team.

You might say of Hutch that he had one good final but that is one more than most of our starting 22 mids at present
Hutchings isn't even half the player Banfield was

I have this game down as a L in my ladder predictor, a win here would be great if we wanna finish with a home final but I suspect we'll get done easily.
Collingwood really aren't that good. A majority of their midfield butcher the ball and they have an immobile forward line. (God, please keep Cloke and White in)

We will win.

You compared him to Banfield as a workhorse the team needs, he isn't, he's a depth player who should only be in the side when injuries hit because he's nowhere near as good as some of our other past players who were considered workhorses.

If that pleases you.

I was talking about roles but you knew that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You compared him to Banfield as a workhorse the team needs, he isn't, he's a depth player who should only be in the side when injuries hit because he's nowhere near as good as some of our other past players who were considered workhorses.

If that pleases you.

I was talking about roles but you knew that.

Watching Collingwood the other night, I feel that they are just a team of midfielders. Not worried about their forward line at all, just about whether our midfield can compete with theirs which I am 50/50 on at the G.

Also it sounds weird coming from an Eagles fan I guess, but Grundy is an awkward ungainly ruckman who gets a lot of weird free kicks imo so hopefully I don't rage too much.

You obviously didn't watch yesterday. Was absolutely horrible, and noobs like you would see this if he didn't have any mates in that category.
He made 2 critical errors.

What else?

He made 2 critical errors.

What else?
What do you think his current role in the team is ?

Certainly can't be locking down an opponent and negating them . It'd have to be to use his ability to cut teams open by foot, lead by example and get inside 50s/scoring opportunities from him . I'd say he's failing (along with most of the side) at this atm.

I'm not advocating us dropping Hurn i think there's many inline first. Just can't be immune to being scrutinized due to being captain.

Well live he was in the Nick Maxwell/Goddard category of blaming others and pointing when he was often the one out of position himself. Piss poor demeanor for a captain. Add in horrific turnovers and skill errors, and constant slipping over and then 'absolutely horrible' looks kind. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. Not much better than Josh Hunt at the moment and that says something.

Haha. Or rate players on draft pick as opposed to production
perhaps two things Hutch will not achieve.

Drew Banfield was the number one pick in the 1992 AFL Draft. Banfield was recruited to the West Coast Eagles, where he became one of their best clubmen and hardest-working defenders and utility players. He won the Eagles' Club Champion Award in 1996, as well as playing in the Eagles' 1994 premiership side. He was not the flashiest of players, but his hard-working attributes and constant presence in the team for over a decade qualifies him as a more than worthy number one draft pick. In 2006 the West Coast Eagles were celebrating their 20th anniversary, and a best team from the club's history was chosen. Consideration was based on playing 100 games for the West Coast Eagles, career longevity, finishes in the Club Champion Award, impact and other individual accolades. Drew Banfield was named on the interchange bench in this side and will go down as one of the Eagles' greats.

In 2006, Banfield was struggling for selection and fought his way into the side in Round 9, but remained on the fringes of selection throughout the season. He missed out on the semi-final against the Bulldogs but was recalled for the preliminary final against Adelaide, and retained for the Grand Final against Sydney due to his experience. It was his second AFL premiership, twelve years after his first. On Friday the 6th of October 2006, Banfield announced his retirement from AFL football at the West Coast Eagles Club Champion awards, having played 265 games.

- See more at: http://australianfootball.com/players/player/drew+banfield/13248#sthash.eYXRdicU.dpuf

Remove this Banner Ad

Back