Preview Changes: R15 vs Hawthorn (Tues Sept 1, AO)

Remove this Banner Ad

That has to be close to the best team we've put out all year.

I'm genuinely excited to see Poholke keep his spot too.

How's the club's view on Schoenberg though, starting on field again, fingers crossed this is his breakout game.
Hopefully with Brad in there to support he lifts, they seem to have a close relationship based on Brad’s 5AA interviews.

IMO McHenry and McAsey should be back in the team. Replacing Murphy and Hartigan.
Hartigan isn’t getting dropped for McAsey when he was our best defender last week against the form forward of the comp. Have seen enough of McAsey this year, need to see a couple of games before the year is out and then get them in the gym over pre season.

The next 4 weeks, I hope we give Schoenberg the Jones treatment, even though we have both Crouches and both Rorys rotating through the middle.
Just get him in there next to the other guys at every possible opportunity and let him learn what it's like to play amongst 4 other guys who have proven they know how it's done. Would be a fantastic learning experience for him.

The next 4 weeks, I hope we give Schoenberg the Jones treatment, even though we have both Crouches and both Rorys rotating through the middle.
Just get him in there next to the other guys at every possible opportunity and let him learn what it's like to play amongst 4 other guys who have proven they know how it's done. Would be a fantastic learning experience for him.
Schoenberg is already our smartest mid.

Watched the first half against Geelong again, he was our best mid at reading the taps and met the ball with momentum. He got caught a bit but strength will see him break more tackles.

Plus when he has it he thinks and doesn’t just rush, his sole intention is trying to advantage us not pad his stats.

He’s going to be a beauty.

Who else would you bring in? Unfortunately injuries aren’t on our side and Sloaney is our captain. It’s nice to make calls on here about Sloane and Brad, but in reality if both are fit they will always play. We need them to perform to a higher level if we are any chance of completing a successful rebuild.

I'd have O'Connor in for Poholke. The trend has been that the Crouches and friends have only worked with a >190 cm midfielder and you could get similar by proxy (as much as O'Connor is 5-8 kg off ideal), on top of Myles really just being a player destined to win state league BnFs. I would have also brought in McAsey for Kelly and allowed him to play as an intercept defender, just because Kelly is just that much of a net negative now that the only reason you play him is if you are trying to lose.

Brad you need in, no issues there with his inclusion as much as I do expect he'll be brought down a bit by sharing a midfield with Matt. I would also like McHenry and Hamill in there as well, though we may have pulled the plug on them for 2020, and rightly so for Hamill.

Schoenberg is already our smartest mid.

Watched the first half against Geelong again, he was our best mid at reading the taps and met the ball with momentum. He got caught a bit but strength will see him break more tackles.

Plus when he has it he thinks and doesn’t just rush, his sole intention is trying to advantage us not pad his stats.

He’s going to be a beauty.
Yeah, there were so many times where he was ready to just burst away with the ball, but he was either missed with, or not seen with the handball.
He has those midfield instincts, we just need to get him around people who know how to feed it out to him more regularly, so he can use those smarts.
Don't make him a defensive midfielder, just get him to read and attack the ball and move into that space when he sees it.
I'm really big on him. Think he's the best draftee we've had since Doedee

So apparently we have lost 10 of our last 11 to the Hawks, and all 4 games at Adelaide Oval....loss 14 here we come 😂😂. I knew our record was bad against Clarkson, but seriously that is awful...

I'd have O'Connor in for Poholke. The trend has been that the Crouches and friends have only worked with a >190 cm midfielder and you could get similar by proxy (as much as O'Connor is 5-8 kg off ideal), on top of Myles really just being a player destined to win state league BnFs. I would have also brought in McAsey for Kelly and allowed him to play as an intercept defender, just because Kelly is just that much of a net negative now that the only reason you play him is if you are trying to lose.

Brad you need in, no issues there with his inclusion as much as I do expect he'll be brought down a bit by sharing a midfield with Matt. I would also like McHenry and Hamill in there as well, though we may have pulled the plug on them for 2020, and rightly so for Hamill.
Really liked O'Connor in the PS game .......is Hamill still having issues around his concussion, or just extra careful

Think we'll see McAsey, Hamill, and Ned for the last 3 games of the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunston must thank himself every day for walking out on the AFC. Probably wishes he did it even earlier.

What a mess his life would have been had he stayed.
Gunston didn't "walk out". He was gone to Hawthorn before the draft, courtesy of VFL dad deal. Why else did Hawks give up all 1st and 2nd round draft picks that year (to get Burgoyne) - they knew they had a first round pick in their pocket. Look at pics of Gunston at the first jumper presentation meet and greet - he couldn't hide his distaste for the Crows and supporters that evening, and I don't think he smiled once for the next 20 months until the earliest moment the rules allowed him to tell the Crows to shove it. He certainly didn't smile in the team photos either, he was just marking time training until he could get to the team his Daddy set up for him.
Don't talk to me about Gunston - he was NEVER a Crow.

That has to be close to the best team we've put out all year.

I'm genuinely excited to see Poholke keep his spot too.

How's the club's view on Schoenberg though, starting on field again, fingers crossed this is his breakout game.
Obviously trolling if you think this is the best team all year. Poholke has shown nothing other than he isn't AFL standard. Schoenberg is our most promising young mid and has played a grand total of 4 games. Some strange comments.

Bit surprised with all the melts over selection this week. Crouch in for Crocker is a huge improvement for us, Crocker has been invisible most games he has played this year. Shame that Butts is out but he is injured, and Talia is still our best and most reliable defender so again that is an improvement.

We played our best game of the year last week, we were never going to make mass changes this week. I think it is good that they have backed the team in from last week, our team has changed so much each week it will be good for them to have some stability.

I would obviously love to see more younger guys come in but most of them are injured or just not ready. Kelly out for Worrel or McAsey is the only other change I think they could have made but I'm not going to lose sleep over that. I'm sure we will see some more of the younger guys over the last few weeks of the year.

Obviously trolling if you think this is the best team all year. Poholke has shown nothing other than he isn't AFL standard. Schoenberg is our most promising young mid and has played a grand total of 4 games. Some strange comments.
What's surprising is you bothered responding

You're the Scott Muller of Bigfooty, can't read, can't write.

Bit surprised with all the melts over selection this week.

You have to have sympathy for the Tools, Trolls and Crazies. Their attempts to being outraged every week just sounds like a bunch of old men shaking their fists and yelling at the moon. We have the worst list in the AFL so whatever 22 players are selected will be too old/too young/too slow/too tall/too short........

Sadly Crocker looked terrible last week (possibly mentally screwed by Covid + unable to visit his sick father) and Butts is injured. The only fit players not selected are Gibbs, Seedsman, Atkins, Knight, Wilson, Crocker, Frampton, Strachan (none of them demanding a spot), McAsey, McHenry (yet to fire a shot but I am sure they will get more games this year) and the yet to debut Worrall, O’Connor and Gollant (who are apparently demanding selection due to a handful of nice touches against the Pear under 23s in March).

But, but, but, but the selectors sucks.........

What's surprising is you bothered responding

You're the Scott Muller of Bigfooty, can't read, can't write.
Have you on ignore (must have annoyed me some time back) but I honestly thought you were a port troll as I had not seen your tag recently when I occasionally subject myself to reading a complete thread. Looked at your number of posts and then thought why would a port troll post so much? That's commitment. Lol. I presume you haven't posted as much recently (or at least the threads I read) but I see your a long termer since 2004. Respect. Glad we got that sorted.
Anyway back to your original post. Tonight's team isn't the best we have played all year imo. Not that it really matters when your sitting at 0 and 13 I guess. The best team has been prevented by injuries, poor fitness and poor match commitee selection at times. Is it the best team available that we have played all year? No. In regards to Poholke he is a good SANFL player. Nothing against him as I want all players on our list to be another Macca but he's had ample opportunity and his deficiencies aren't evaporating. Will likely be delisted or traded (if possible) end of year. Schoenberg should be a 150-200 gamer with us. Has shown more than most 4 gamers in the league and once he builds a fitness base and puts some muscle on he should be one of our best mids.
Off to polish up my English skills now.

Last edited:
Have you on ignore (must have annoyed me some time back) but I honestly thought you were a port troll as I had not seen your tag recently when I occasionally subject myself to reading a complete thread. Looked at your number of posts and then thought why would a port troll post so much? That's commitment. Lol. I presume you haven't posted as much recently (or at least the threads I read) but I see your a long termer since 2004. Respect. Glad we got that sorted.
Anyway back to your original post. Tonight's team isn't the best we have played all year imo. Not that it really matters when your sitting at 0 and 13 I guess. The best team has been prevented by injuries, poor fitness and poor match commitee selection at times. Is it the best team available that we have played all year? No. In regards to Poholke he is a good SANFL player. Nothing against him as I want all players on our list to be another Macca but he's had ample opportunity and his deficiencies aren't evaporating. Will likely be delisted or traded (if possible) end of year. Schoenberg should be a 150-200 gamer with us. Has shown more than most 4 gamers in the league and once he builds a fitness base and puts some muscle on he should be one of our best mids.
Off to polish up my English skills now.

I said it was one of the best - not the best (and not our overall best) and when we are 0-13 I reckon that statement holds up given we've had perhaps 1 performance this year that was AFL standard. admitatly - its on paper, so in a few hours I'm sure I'll be shown up.

The excitement around Poholke being retained, was more the fact that the club didn't see fit to drop him the moment Crouch became available. not something I was expecting.

Apologies for the initial response, it was early and I hadn't had my morning Crows game Scotch.

Mark it down as a loss

(Sounds like we're losing this one at selection)
Do we have a hall of fame somewhere for extraordinary posts? This has to be the biggest overreaction to selection in our 30 year history. Coming off possibly out best game for the season, the changes are:

Out: Crocker, Butts (a fringe player and a one gamer)
In: B.Crouch, Talia (arguably the 2 best players on our list)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back