Preview Changes: R2 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

16 games that year because they played talent

Obviously, they didn't have a colossus like Sholl on the wing

Club gives us plenty of reason to complain but Curtin has been hampered by a knee pretty much since Christmas. All of our early draft picks have played early in the last few years and have no doubt they will find a spot for him when he is good to go. Think back to Rachele and Soligo playing round 1, TT came in round 6 and played 14, Jones played first 4, MM played round 1

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Club gives us plenty of reason to complain but Curtin has been hampered by a knee pretty much since Christmas. All of our early draft picks have played early in the last few years and have no doubt they will find a spot for him when he is good to go. Think back to Rachele and Soligo playing round 1, TT came in round 6 and played 14, Jones played first 4, MM played round 1

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Exactly. Various reports from training sessions since that injury were that it was hampering him, and some here were even saying he should be properly rested until he got it right. I say let him get to full fitness through some SANFL games, and once he is fully fit, play him. In this way we are doing the right thing both by him and the rest of the team. Hopefully his debut will not be all that far away.

For the love of god, we somehow arse a player later in the top 10 that never should have got to us, if we don't do something along the lines of play him on the wing instead of Scholl, sub him when needed but talent plays, especially that level talent.

I'd hate to see us all being amazed by his second game and wondering why it took deep into the second season
A really crap take to be peddling this line. We clearly, unambiguously play our talented youngsters early.

Our history leading up to the 6 years before Curtin:

• Fog 10 games
  • Jones 8 games
  • Mc Asey 10 games of 17), Shoey 8 games
  • TT 14 games
  • Rachele 13 games, Soligo 16 games
  • Max 22 games

What does this tell you?

Curtin had an injury interrupted last month or so of preseason otherwise would likely be in the team already. Were you that impressed by his snippets of game time in the preseason or did he look like a youngster recovering from injury finding his feet? Underdone, not in great form player thrown to the wolves before he is ready the best strategy do you think?

Happy to take your money if you think he is only going to debut “deep in his second season” - just 180 degrees different to Nicks proven history of playing young guys early - often round one even like Mc Asey, Rachele, Soligo and Max.

A really crap take to be peddling this line. We clearly, unambiguously play our talented youngsters early.

Our history leading up to the 6 years before Curtin:

• Fog 10 games
  • Jones 8 games
  • Mc Asey 10 games of 17), Shoey 8 games
  • TT 14 games
  • Rachele 13 games, Soligo 16 games
  • Max 22 games

What does this tell you?

Curtin had an injury interrupted last month or so of preseason otherwise would likely be in the team already. Were you that impressed by his snippets of game time in the preseason or did he look like a youngster recovering from injury finding his feet? Underdone, not in great form player thrown to the wolves before he is ready the best strategy do you think?

Happy to take your money if you think he is only going to debut “deep in his second season” - just 180 degrees different to Nicks proven history of playing young guys early - often round one even like Mc Asey, Rachele, Soligo and Max.

100% correct. Nicks loves getting our young highly talented draft picks games early.

I'd hate to see us all being amazed by his second game and wondering why it took deep into the second season

Perfectly reasonable to assume Nicks doesn't give Curtin his 2nd game until late 2025.

Such a shame Nicks doesn't give games to our highly regarded rookies. If only he gave our recent top 5 picks 16 games in their rookie year like bontempelli instead of only 13 for Rachele and 14 for TT. Our club would be so much further ahead...

Perfectly reasonable to assume Nicks doesn't give Curtin his 2nd game until late 2025.

Such a shame Nicks doesn't give games to our highly regarded rookies. If only he gave our recent top 5 picks 16 games in their rookie year like bontempelli instead of only 13 for Rachele and 14 for TT. Our club would be so much further ahead...
However his job is on the line this year.
It’s quite reasonable to predict he might go safe with selections.

It’s been reported we’re taking a more conservative approach with him because the club still has McAsey PTSD so… that’s not great

The fact we even used McAsey as a reference point, and considering Curtin’s being played deep in defence at training, kinda makes it seem like we see him as nothing more than a KPD, which worries me

Still early days, currently I’m just hoping he’s recovering well from whatever that knee injury was
Who reported that?

Good to see Tex's "back"

Stand-Up Lol GIF by Muppet Wiki

The fact we even used McAsey as a reference point, and considering Curtin’s being played deep in defence at training, kinda makes it seem like we see him as nothing more than a KPD, which worries me
In the SANFL trial it was very clear he wasn't playing in deep defence. How many key position players deep in defence go on a run, get a handball chain going, and then kick the goal on the run from 50?

What I'd like:
  • Gollant > Walker
  • Borlase > Keane
  • Smith > Nankervis
  • Murphy > Curtin
Sub? is hard. Probably Nank. Probably sub out Burgess for the 2nd half.

We can dream

Not terribly familiar with Geelong’s forward line beyond Hawkins, Cameron and Stengle, in terms of likely matchups, Keane to Hawkins? Hinge/Worrell to Cameron again? Do we even need Butts and Borlase if Burgess can swing back if theres an injury?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who reported that?

I just remembered this article, but to be fair it doesn’t actually feature a direct quote from anyone at the club, so that Turner guy probably pulled the McAsey reference out of his arse and I’m just jumping at shadows

I just remembered this article, but to be fair it doesn’t actually feature a direct quote from anyone at the club, so that Turner guy probably pulled the McAsey reference out of his arse and I’m just jumping at shadows

It's a bit silly too even if a club employee said it

The mistake wasn't picking McAsey to play AFL, it was drafting him

Reading through the thread, looks like the consensus is to leave Gollant out if Tex comes back in. I am thinking we would be better off dropping Burgess and sticking with Gollant. To me he gives us a better ballance with Tex and Fog in there, is more mobile and can provide some x factor. He can also pinch hit in the ruck to give ROB a rest for a few minutes each quarter.

I heard that Murphy has a presser scheduled today for his 100th? Or tomorrow? In any case, I'm thinking he's only dropping back to sub or is starting, clearly not getting dropped.
Didn't you hear about his amazing leadership? The incredible story or rising from working in the Crows shop to playing AFL?
You can't drop a guy like that no matter how they play.

Not terribly familiar with Geelong’s forward line beyond Hawkins, Cameron and Stengle, in terms of likely matchups, Keane to Hawkins? Hinge/Worrell to Cameron again? Do we even need Butts and Borlase if Burgess can swing back if theres an injury?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Dempsey kicked most of their goals last week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back