Preview Changes: R7 vs St Kilda - Monday 20/7 @ 7pm Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I get that he wants to lead and show the kids you can play hurt, but sometimes leadership is admitting you're not up for the fight for a couple of weeks.

Coaches are the problem. One week they're saying they need to test him because he'd play with a broken leg and the next they're excusing themselves saying he makes the call himself. Senior coach changed, but this didn't. It's a club philosophy. Nothing more certain.

Coaches are the problem. One week they're saying they need to test him because he'd play with a broken leg and the next they're excusing themselves saying he makes the call himself. Senior coach changed, but this didn't. It's a club philosophy. Nothing more certain.
Correct.

Despite the short and long term pain we’re facing and the frustration of the stupid decisions that got us to this point, looking on the bright side - it’s enjoyable at last seeing a bunch of new players and talking about what Butts Worrall O’Connor Schoenberg etc have got to bring to the team.

My wife keeps saying “Who’s he? And him? And him? What about him?”

Better late than never. Even better earlier than late.

Despite the short and long term pain we’re facing and the frustration of the stupid decisions that got us to this point, looking on the bright side - it’s enjoyable at last seeing a bunch of new players and talking about what Butts Worrall O’Connor Schoenberg etc have got to bring to the team.

My wife keeps saying “Who’s he? And him? And him? What about him?”

Better late than never. Even better earlier than late.

It's also showing the list is in better shape then what it was assumed at the start of the season. Jones is starting to show signs he could develop into a top line midfielder in a couple of years, Hamill has jet written all over him, McAsey probably is an answer to one of the key position posts and McAdam is damn exciting. Even the next tier like McHenry and McPherson have shown they have a bit of class about them.

Long way to go and a lot of risk players peter out, but so far, there is something to be optimistic about at least.

It's also showing the list is in better shape then what it was assumed at the start of the season. Jones is starting to show signs he could develop into a top line midfielder in a couple of years, Hamill has jet written all over him, McAsey probably is an answer to one of the key position posts and McAdam is damn exciting. Even the next tier like McHenry and McPherson have shown they have a bit of class about them.

Long way to go and a lot of risk players peter out, but so far, there is something to be optimistic about at least.

Yep gives us something to watch when the game itself is hard to look at.

I’m looking forward to hopefully getting to AO on the 20th to see the kids in person. I’m hoping Fog is back and I’d like to see Schoenberg live.

Yep gives us something to watch when the game itself is hard to look at.

I’m looking forward to hopefully getting to AO on the 20th to see the kids in person. I’m hoping Fog is back and I’d like to see Schoenberg live.

Sholl is probably the one I am most excited for. Apparently the best kick on the list.

I also am very curious on Gollant and O'Connor, though I can accept for Gollant, it's probably a year away (seeing he's very skinny).

has he shown anything in 6 career games yet to suggest he’s better than Jared petrenko?

he’ll play more this season obviously to give us more insight but I wont hold my breath.
He kicks more goals. That will be his making, or not.

I'm sure coaches will talk defensive pressure and team game, but if Stengle pushes his goals per game towards 2, he'll play 200 games

Sholl is probably the one I am most excited for. Apparently the best kick on the list.

I also am very curious on Gollant and O'Connor, though I can accept for Gollant, it's probably a year away (seeing he's very skinny).
Yes, why we didn't bring Sholl in instead of Mackay is Nicks' biggest selection fail so far.

Yes Sholl - I knew I’d missed one whose name keeps getting mentioned, I was just too lazy to look it up!

Will be nice if we can get some attacking pinpoint distributors all playing together - Sholl Hamill Milera Smith

O’Connor intrigues me, bigger body. Speculative but would like to see.

I'm sure coaches will talk defensive pressure and team game, but if Stengle pushes his goals per game towards 2, he'll play 200 games

Murphy’s main weakness, scoring consistently.

I remember a few years back asking whether JJ averaging 2 goals per game was enough to keep him in the team. It’s a good number and not easily replaced

the way football is played these days, it’s going to be tough to target parameters like goals per game based on yesteryear. We can’t even kick 5 a game this year! 2 a game will win a Coleman!

but I know what you’re saying. Let’s see how he goes with a few more games under his belt. I think we can establish that Murphy is not the answer.

there’s only 1 bloke in our entire squad at <183cm that can tackle, take contested grabs and kick straight for goal. And it’s not stengle or Murphy. It’s an aging captain.

Murphy’s main weakness, scoring consistently.

I remember a few years back asking whether JJ averaging 2 goals per game was enough to keep him in the team. It’s a good number and not easily replaced
JJ had a career because he could kick goals. People could go on and on about Joe the Goose goals, but he still kicked them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All though I don't expect us to win a game this year, we seem to have the wood over St Kilda enough so that we could give them a run for it.

We absolutely must drop or rest one of Sloane/Matt, Sloane's injured and Matt is either so unfit or emotionally unavailable that he's a liability.

Give McHenry and Jones proper midfield minutes.

I'd look to bring back Seed for Dmac, or if his cards are stamped, Scholl. Scholl is a lovely kick and can accumulate, but he doesn't break lines like Seed.

Our biggest downfall right now is our drive from midfield into the forward line. The Crouches, Dmac, current Sloane etc all tend to hack bomb away without having enough penetration to make it a dangerous entry.

We can already see the gain in rebound through the addition of Hamill to the back 6, and I'd say McPherson is primed to start adding to that over the coming weeks.

If Fog is available, obviously he's an automatic inclusion. Unfortunately with Poholke getting axed I think that may be the end of him at AFL level. He deserved a run of games but he didn't get it. Maybe it's time to play Schoenberg or O'Conner and give them a taste of the coalface.

Out: Sloane, Matt Crouch, Kelly, Dmac
In: Schoenberg, Scholl, Seed, Fog

Obviously Schoenberg won't have the tank for full-time mid yet, but that can easily be split with McHenry. If it is too much of a concern, play Poholke and actually give him a block of games while Mrouch has a mini preseason.

the way football is played these days, it’s going to be tough to target parameters like goals per game based on yesteryear. We can’t even kick 5 a game this year! 2 a game will win a Coleman!

but I know what you’re saying. Let’s see how he goes with a few more games under his belt. I think we can establish that Murphy is not the answer.

there’s only 1 bloke in our entire squad at <183cm that can tackle, take contested grabs and kick straight for goal. And it’s not stengle or Murphy. It’s an aging captain.
There is no doubt that there are other parameters in keeping his career.

But if he is kicking goals, there aren't many coaches with the guts to dump that type of player. 2 goals a game is big enough a consideration that you'll get a fair old run of poor form before being dumped.

After the last few game I am excited to get the Number 17 put on the back of by new gurnsey I bought at the start of the year.

Our issue is obviously scoring, the supply to the Forwards has been horrendous but they aren't helping themselves, none of them are running at the ball carrier when they're stationed inside 50 most are waiting back for the long bomb or running towards goal hoping for a cheap one over the back.
Forward structure is the bloody worst in the league, how we went from the highest scoring team to barley kicking a goal a 1/4 a few years later is beyond me.

Yes, why we didn't bring Sholl in instead of Mackay is Nicks' biggest selection fail so far.

For a team crying out for good ball users, it certainly was a curious non-selection. Hopefully just silliness on our coaches side and not Lachie dropping standards during lockdown.

Yes Sholl - I knew I’d missed one whose name keeps getting mentioned, I was just too lazy to look it up!

Will be nice if we can get some attacking pinpoint distributors all playing together - Sholl Hamill Milera Smith

O’Connor intrigues me, bigger body. Speculative but would like to see.

Yup, it's also why I am very interested in O'Connor. Especially as a real point of difference in a midfield that needs it.

Don't know where to put this but, it doesn't help when the top three points scores for Carlton's excellent win today are all ex-Adelaide players.

I hate to say it (*tastes vomit in mouth) but David Mackay wasn't bad on the weekend, no chance he is getting dropped.

I hate to say it (*tastes vomit in mouth) but David Mackay wasn't bad on the weekend, no chance he is getting dropped.
So we should be prioritising him over the likes of Sholl when we are in rebuild mode?

In regards to selection I think the club needs to ask itself what is the objective from this year? Is it to get 2 to 3 wins by playing a more experienced team that will get us nowhere with players we know aren't up to it so that we aren't totally embarrassed or is it to get games into players who will be at the club in 1 to 3 years? My advice to the club would be to own up to the mistakes of list management and state their plan to rectify it and the required pain ahead that will be needed to sort it out. They have said there will be pain but have not given the reason as to why we are in the current predicament. By doing that you admit there was failings. This will turn the relationship into one of buy in from its fans instead of the confrontational relationship the club now has by not being honest about its mistakes.

Last edited:
With Sloane out, I really hope we don't opt for experience again and bring back Gibbs. This is the perfect opportunity to blood Schoenberg. If we're truly in a rebuild, he's the exact type of player who should be playing.

Gollant is very skinny but has football Smarts, in the trial game he played this year he was excellent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back