Preview Changes: Round 16 v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, so new question. What kind of stats would Scotty Thompson need for people to think he had earned his place in the side tonight? And dont bang on about him taking a younger guys position, or his lack of speed, there are 67 pages of that already. Just give me cold hard stats
An ok game:
- 20+ touches, atleast 60% of which are kicks.
- DE of 70% or more
- 6+ tackles
- Less than 2 frees against

If Thompson had been delisted we wouldn't have hesistated to either bring in an untried kid, or not rest Greenwood.

But because we still have Thommo, he's an anchor at selection table preventing good decisions from being made

I'm sure they know better than I do. I just don't understand how we reached the point where Thommo was the best option left in the SANFL?

Have a look at our injury list: Lynch, O'Brien, Cheney, Davis, Hartigan, Hampton, CEY.

Only Lynch, Hartigan and Cheney are in our best 22. Hampton is borderline. It's not as if we have a heap of injured best 22 midfielders.

Then we look at what's left in the way of midfielders - Beech, Menzel, Gallucci, Poholke, Seedsman, Wigg, Signorello, Doedee (OK - he's a defender), and Gore. The first two just aren't good enough, and most of the rest are untried 1st and 2nd year players. Seedsman is the only one who doesn't fall into either category, and he's still regaining match fitness after returning from injury.

It pretty much came down to a choice between Thommo, Seedsman (not match fit), an untried kid, or a proven dud. Personally, I'd lean towards playing one of the unproven kids (Gallucci or Poholke), but Thommo is one of the few viable options they have left.

Greenwood is being rested, which is fair enough. Even so, Greenwood & Hampton makes a grand total of 2x best-22 midfielders MIA. Two. Let that sink in. We're only missing 2x best-22 midfielders, and Thommo is in the team.

How did it come to this?
How? Our non existent trade period last year which achieved absolutely nothing. Why are we even bothering to pay those recruiting guys when they produce zero return?

Helps sloane break his tag gets a few possies and contributes to a crows win, Not Hard really or just contribute to a crows win (Simple)
100% agree with that. Which is why i'm surprised people are so furious he's included. The games tailor made for him. Horses for Coarse's!

An ok game:
- 20+ touches, atleast 60% of which are kicks.
- DE of 70% or more
- 6+ tackles
- Less than 2 frees against
I dont think he'll have a problem with 60% kicks, but the 70% DE might be a challenge on a night like tonight. Kicking to a contest I have no problem with, kicking direct to opponents infuriates me.

Other then that I'd up that tackle count to 9+ and thats pretty much my pass mark too.

Ok, so new question. What kind of stats would Scotty Thompson need for people to think he had earned his place in the side tonight? And dont bang on about him taking a younger guys position, or his lack of speed, there are 67 pages of that already. Just give me cold hard stats

Don't turn the ball over. Keep up with his opponent. Get a good amount of contested possessions. Tackle like a mofo. Don't give away numerous free kicks.

Please step away from the keyboard, and don't come back until you've had time to overcome your anger at the decision to select Thommo. You're a better poster than this. You don't normally indulge in tin foil fantasies like these. This isn't normal behaviour for you.

Step away and calm down.

LOL

There is a strong degree of sarcasm in my posts, but sadly there is some element of truth that Pyke massively overrates certain players over others based on experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't turn the ball over. Keep up with his opponent. Get a good amount of contested possessions. Tackle like a mofo. Don't give away numerous free kicks.

Let's not expect miracles.

I saw Thompson get caught holding the ball at least five times against Norwood. So if it's that prevalent at SANFL level then I shudder to think what's going to happen tonight

How about this : beat Jarryd Lyons worst game performance of the year. his first game coming off an injury interrupted preseason. we can forget about his best game for the year, being a 39 disposal BOG performance.

so 20 disposals, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 3 goal assists, 6 inside 50s, 0 frees against, 1 frees for, 8 contested possessions, at around 70% DE and 69% TOG

Description Date Opponent Result K HB D M G B T HO GA I50 FF FA AF SC
Round 15 1st Jul North Melbourne Win 118-99 19 20 39 5 0 0 6 0 1 7 0 1 133 138
Round 1 25th Mar Brisbane Loss 96-98 12 8 20 2 0 0 5 0 3 6 0 1 75 81

Mate at work supports Adelaide, but not as in depth as I do.

I said to him last night that Thommo was in, he says he's surprised it's taken until now and then asked how he'd been going in the sanfl.

This is your typical uninformed crows supporter.

No wonder the club can pull this shite and the happy clappers go along with it.
Exactly right.

It's as simple as Scott Thompson should play because he's Scott Thompson to these 'fans'. No idea in regards to actual output and team balance.

If I hear the words 'much needed inside grunt' one more time I think I'm going to spew...

How about this : beat Jarryd Lyons worst game performance of the year. his first game coming off an injury interrupted preseason. we can forget about his best game for the year, being a 39 disposal BOG performance.

so 20 disposals, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 3 goal assists, 6 inside 50s, 0 frees against, 1 frees for, 8 contested possessions, at around 70% DE and 69% TOG

Description Date Opponent Result K HB D M G B T HO GA I50 FF FA AF SC
Round 15 1st Jul North Melbourne Win 118-99 19 20 39 5 0 0 6 0 1 7 0 1 133 138
Round 1 25th Mar Brisbane Loss 96-98 12 8 20 2 0 0 5 0 3 6 0 1 75 81
Haha, well played man

You bet against your team so you will feel good if they lose because, hey, you got a win. It really is ridiculous. But then, I don't think betting should be a part of AFL in any case, so I guess I'll never have an appreciation for betting against your own team.

Jenny, all they are saying is they are prepared to risk a few dollars to make a lot back at those odds. If the Dogs lose all they have lost is the few dollars staked. Their is nothing in to do with supporting the Crows.
IMO I see it purely as an exercise in the chance of making money , nothing more.
I see your concern about betting on games in general but it's an accepted part of society so it's here to stay.

I've been trying to think of some positives out of Thommo being back in the side.
This is best I could come up with:

1. Tackles. At least 10 tackles in a wet and windy slogfest
  2. Umm... an obvious reason for at least 5 or 6 frees against???
  3. Did I mention a fair few tackles?
  4. Naa I've got nothin'

So there you go, 4 good solid positives with Thommo back in the side.

Jenny, all they are saying is they are prepared to risk a few dollars to make a lot back at those odds. If the Dogs lose all they have lost is the few dollars staked. Their is nothing in to do with supporting the Crows.
IMO I see it purely as an exercise in the chance of making money , nothing more.
I see your concern about betting on games in general but it's an accepted part of society so it's here to stay.
Yeah I know. just feels wrong on so many levels to bet against your own team.

If Thompson had been delisted we wouldn't have hesistated to either bring in an untried kid, or not rest Greenwood.

But because we still have Thommo, he's an anchor at selection table preventing good decisions from being made
Supreme call. This is the issue most of us had with signing him on for another year. We just knew that if he was there, he'd be used because he was the easy decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back