Preview Changes v Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

A friend of mine just told me that we’re playing the Dees right now at Casey Fields. Could be the seconds (he’s not a dogs fan)
Edit: Disregard. Dees intraclub game.

Last edited:
Agree. Our problem is that Bulldogs are a pure breed and despite their feisty image they're a bit too nice. They simply aren't mongrel enough. We could change our name to the Western Mongrels. I'd be happy with that personally (and one of our mods would be deliriously so) but it doesn't have the popular appeal of a thoroughbred. Besides, we might find we start losing sponsors like Pedigree.

So ... are we all in favour of changing our name to the Western Rottweilers? The club should benefit too. Think of all the new merchandise we'd all have to rush out and buy.
Ha. Call it what you like.... mongrel, bastard, competitiveness... but when you compare our regular 25 with just about any premiership team in modern history I think it's a genuine issue.

JJ took a while to establish himself but has done well over the years as a running defender. Richards has similar pace but is a slightly better mark and perhaps a little more inclined to tackle, so perhaps he can fill a similar role. The tank isn't quite as important in defence as it is on the wing.
Seems fairly clear that Richards plays best behind the ball. Had a cracking first year. I'd almost prefer JJ on a wing and Richards off half back. Better setup than Hayes on a wing, JJ back and Richards in the twos.

I’d be pretty happy with the team that the AFL site suggested

In: Patrick Lipinski, Tom Liberatore, Toby McLean, Josh Schache
Out: Lachie Hunter (suspended), Ryan Gardner (omitted), Lewis Young (omitted), Ben Cavarra (omitted)

B: Easton Wood, Zaine Cordy, Jason Johannisen
HB: Hayden Crozier, Alex Keath, Bailey Williams
C: Bailey Smith, Marcus Bontempelli, Matthew Suckling
HF: Bailey Dale, Josh Bruce, Patrick Lipinski
F: Mitch Wallis, Aaron Naughton, Sam Lloyd
Foll: Tim English, Josh Dunkley, Jackson Macrae
I/C: Caleb Daniel, Toby McLean, Tom Liberatore, Josh Schache

Emerg: Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Tory Dickson, Lewis Young

I’d be pretty happy with the team that the AFL site suggested
Same outs that I picked, main difference being I chose Richards over Schache, and would have Weightman over McLean as a fairytale scenario. The AFLs version looks pretty good and definitely is one I can see happening

Yes a over a shorter player
However it a good jump by Naughton and his hands and body are set well
Looks good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh God, Hayes is taking the wing and Gardner is playing Round 2 by the sounds of it :(

We are gonna need an ambulance on standby for MD when he sees this

Honestly don’t care this year now

The virus has killed any buzz I had for the year and round one was awful, lose to the saints and we are cooked imo but even if we aren’t can’t get excited for footy yet. May change when the ball is bounced.

Hayes is useless and if he is the answer the question is what does a bottom 4 team player look like.

If Gardner is getting games before both Young’s, Trenners and Schache then who knows what going on and good luck to the kid

Honestly don’t care this year now

The virus has killed any buzz I had for the year and round one was awful, lose to the saints and we are cooked imo but even if we aren’t can’t get excited for footy yet. May change when the ball is bounced.

Hayes is useless and if he is the answer the question is what does a bottom 4 team player look like.

If Gardner is getting games before both Young’s, Trenners and Schache then who knows what going on and good luck to the kid
Honestly I feel the same - I'm indifferent to this year now. Would've been happy seeing no flag, no awards of any kind, and just hold exhibition matches instead. Hard to feel invested in it but guess I'll wait and see if that changes.

Hayes and Gardner will probably be cut in the process of trimming lists down, but if Suckling and Dickson retire, they may be saved since we'd be cutting Lynch, Greene and Smith first.

Anyone else feel like they prefer watching Rugby League to AFL lately?
Not keen on rugby, but I've rekindled my interest in the NBA, which I haven't followed since LeBron was basically a kid. Been awesome watching highlights from the last few years

Jong is also our quickest player (unless Richards, Cavarra or Vandermeer have passed him) which would be nice to have on a wing. More likely than not that Jong doesn't establish himself, but I'd like to see him get a go
I saw jong in early Feb at a pub in Yarraville. He was injured at the time, but he was built like a brick sh house. The way he trains makes him a good candidate to come in. he many not be great with skills, but he goes really hard and we need players like him. Go Jongie, prove everyone wrong.

Jong pLays everyday of the week before Hayes

Put him on a wing and let him run and just dump the ball high into Bruce and Naughts(until he inevitably breaks down again)

Last edited:
I just saw a baseball style top for the Bulldogs and I thought that looks good for our memorabilia, then I twigged it was the
Canterbury Bulldogs from the NRL. I would probably buy a Canberra Raiders top as I like the colour Green even though i
have no affiliation with the team.

Been some terrific close games last two rounds. Panthers vs Knights last week was a thriller. NO bruise free footy in NRL. Good to see the Eels beat the Silvertails and on a dodgy forward pass decision. Knights just whupped the Raiders. Knights looking good and play Storm next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back