Preview Changes v Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of the more puzzling selections might be viewed through the prisms of sub par post iso fitness levels of historically regular selections (Cordy and maybe there are others) but also the short turnarounds between this game and the next two.

It's reasonable to assume that the toughest opponent of the next three will be GWS (next weeks game off a 5 day turnaround) and that thinking around selection for that game (wanting/needing your most talented lineup on the park) has influenced selection for this game. Would you back Liber up off a 5 day break into GWS? I wouldn't but you might off a 6 day break into Sydney and you might also back the depth of the squad against St Kilda. The win is no given but I think the shortened and condensed season gives you a bit of licence to take the punt on some games including this one.

While we're playing games on the short back up I would not be surprised to see a bit of musical chairs in selection from game to game to manage the players and their recovery as much as anything.

Yeah, spot on. Definitely something for us to consider.

Haha, this is hilarious. You’re that rattled D Mitchell you’re now asking who I was referring to as a cattle dog. You’re embarrassing yourself again.
There’s a few footy Noobs floating around Big Footy, but I think you take the cake D Mitchell.

You and I both know who you were referring to. Not that it makes any difference, it's low insulting a former player. Put up or shut up.

You and I both know who you were referring to. Not that it makes any difference, it's low insulting a former player. Put up or shut up.

You don’t even know what a cattle dog is, D Mitchell. How would you know who I was talking about?
PM me if you want a lesson on anything football. Always happy to help those that need it.

Some of the more puzzling selections might be viewed through the prisms of sub par post iso fitness levels of historically regular selections (Cordy and maybe there are others) but also the short turnarounds between this game and the next two.

It's reasonable to assume that the toughest opponent of the next three will be GWS (next weeks game off a 5 day turnaround) and that thinking around selection for that game (wanting/needing your most talented lineup on the park) has influenced selection for this game. Would you back Liber up off a 5 day break into GWS? I wouldn't but you might off a 6 day break into Sydney and you might also back the depth of the squad against St Kilda. The win is no given but I think the shortened and condensed season gives you a bit of licence to take the punt on some games including this one.

While we're playing games on the short back up I would not be surprised to see a bit of musical chairs in selection from game to game to manage the players and their recovery as much as anything.
Some good thoughts there NW. Beats the usual "he must have pics of Bevo with the pig" or "Bevo is officially tanking in Rd 2".

The performances so far in Rd 2 show that each game is highly unpredictable, especially the way each game pans out. Five sides have scored a grand total of 5.14 in the second half of their games. Two of those sides just held on for a draw or a win after dominating early. Melbourne and Collingwood were fast out of the blocks but just fell over the line.

For those five sides that's an average of 1.3 for the whole second half.

This suggests that, for this round at least, sides have come back under-conditioned to various degrees. No surprise there.

The sides that prosper in this situation will be the ones that manage these factors best both on match day and in team selection from week to week, until players have become more match-hardened in maybe 2-3 weeks. It's not been made any easier by clubs having to offload quite a few of their footy dept staff some of whom would normally analyse and manage such things.

So if there was only 5% skill difference between two contending players but a 20% difference in physical readiness (and other things being equal, such as team balance and oppo matchups) you'd probably go with the player that could see out the game better. I have no idea who those players are in our squad but as you suggest it could explain a few of the head scratching decisions.

I'll be unusually nervous going into this evening's game. Not just because we desperately need a win to re-start our season, but because I have no idea which of the two sides is more physically ready for a 100 minute contest. Even if we're up by 5 goals at half time it'll still be unpredictable because of the possibility that we could blow up in the second half like other sides have done this weekend.

I think what we'll miss most in Hunter is his amazing endurance. He'd be the one who could run through the whole game without a sweat. I know Bailey Smith's pretty elite in the endurance stakes too, but I'm not sure who else is.

I think what we'll miss most in Hunter is his amazing endurance. He'd be the one who could run through the whole game without a sweat. I know Bailey Smith's pretty elite in the endurance stakes too, but I'm not sure who else is.
Daniel.

Schache (not picked) has a huge tank, which is useless to us now.

Bruce is known for his endurance though, runs all day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The headline criticism following the C'wood v R'mond game was shortened quarters. None of the players looked any more exhausted than they ordinarily would. I don't think endurance is any more an issue than usual but I expect match fitness will be. It should be round 13, 10 rounds to go. Short quarters; bizarre fixture, hubs; uncertain crowd arrangements and what if there's an outbreak among players ? If the season is completed, I wonder how the Premiership will be viewed. There's not the same excitement.

Hands up if you ever wanted to Schache on a wing.
What if that's next week. These are all hypotheticals of course but Schache v Whitfield on the flank next week. Maybe Hunter's indiscretion gives us the opportunity to see something different.
Whitfield is a running machine but not menacing. Snap Schache. He's right Schache left. Both good field kicks though josh should have the edge in the air. They could wave their arms at each other on our left/their right flank for the whole game. Could be spectacular.

Not being rude but you do realise the saints have been rubbish for years and don’t have the edge anywhere against nearly any team right?

That being said we alway struggle against you so I’m expecting the same but even with a team far from our best, while you will have yours I expect a close result.

Which is disappointing because many experts tipped us to go very well this year so we should be able to beat a bottom 8 team quite easily.
Saints are s**t.

Saints are s**t.

Yeah they are but we are worse

Kick straight in the first and it’s over but enjoy the win

Next two weeks will show how crap you actually are so enjoy it now

Oh and pathetic that coming back here to have a jab at someone you don’t know was one of the first things you needed to do hahahahahaha

Must be some special life you have

Because I don’t think a team that has made finals in near ten years is any good?

Hill and Membrey

That’s the only players you have that I rate at all. The rest are bottom 6 level and funnily enough that’s where you have been for that decade or there abouts.

But seeing the “team” Bev has picked who knows What happens but Man for man we win and do it easy.

🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back