Changes v Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually, I don't mind giving O'Donnell a chance to settle down back. Much better than injecting him forward. Could we'll keep his place if he plays okay.
3 games against reasonable opposition this early in his career in a year that's starting to show a lot of promise represents a significant investment.

He clearly has something that the MC have identified (through training, games, attributes and attitude etc) as being of immense promise and potential in a role that may not yet be clear.

Happy to run with it. Could he be a Tom Stewart?

Bevo is not only the best coach the dogs have had he is the most stubborn. Maybe this is what makes him our best. The playing of JOD after 8 possessions in 2 games especially in Darwin conditions is a repeat of stubborn Bevo. Some examples in previous seasons are the backing off mark a failure, the continual playing of Gardiner when he did not deserve a game maybe one to Bevo but questionable at the time. Giving additional games McComb and Hannan when they should have been dropped a failure.

Look I think JOD has potential but he should be learning his craft in the 2's and 8 possessions in 2 games does not justify his selection in Darwin this week.

The changes don't really surprise me. Bev plays with a lot of things, but one thing he doesn't mess with is the way we play our defenders. He shuffles roles at will but rarely does he swing a mid defender to a high defender. Cleary is only coming in if Doc or one of the mid talls changes position or comes out of the team.

I suspect JOD/Scott/CD all spend time as high defenders. Can't say I fully understand the persistence with O'Donnell at this stage (especially in sticky Darwin) but let's see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people were saying that about Arty too after his first two games.
Arty was filling a desperate need though tbf so we had to make it work, similar to Gards getting an extended run it was a huge need and we had no other options, it seems strange to carry someone whose offering less than nothing at this stage, when we’re actually changing the make up of our side just to try and cramp him in somewhere for 50% of game time

It’s a bit of a head scratcher

Arty was filling a desperate need though tbf so we had to make it work, similar to Gards getting an extended run it was a huge need and we had no other options, it seems strange to carry someone whose offering less than nothing at this stage, when we’re actually changing the make up of our side just to try and cramp him in somewhere for 50% of game time

It’s a bit of a head scratcher
I get that not all of them logically fit into the same side. However let’s revisit the discussion in 10 weeks, or maybe even as soon as 2 weeks.

I suspect we’ll see him develop into a valuable player before finals time. Some of our other tall defenders who have known limitations might start getting nervous.

Probably not. Bevo has shown in the past that he’s comfortable playing Gardner on Cameron which would leave Jones on Hawkins.
Cameron such an awkward match-up, especially as he pushes so far up these days.

JOD..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You know it’s happening.

We could probably rotate a couple of players through Cameron. He spends a lot of time up the ground these days and floating through the midfield picking up cheap kicks. Richards could certainly take him up the ground.

O’Donnell’s form at VFL level seemed to warrant the opportunity, and I can certainly understand the allure of adding a KPD sized smooth moving and clean using half back, but he’s certainly not kept his spot on performance.

I’m fine with them giving a player a few weeks to find their feet at the level (particularly in this case, as he was thrown to the wolves in an unfamiliar position in his first game). The question will be whether this is a Gardner back half of 2020 situation and they’re going to give him a sustained run as long as he’s having a crack, or if they’re just hoping he’ll acclimatise and warrant selection within the next week or two.

It’s not just how many touches JOD gets or his effort. It’s also the effect on the opposition that his inclusion causes. They will need to take into account another tall defender, who may not yet be an outstanding performer but has shown enough to cause some adjustments to be made, hopefully to our advantage. The coaches look at the total picture.

It’s not just how many touches JOD gets or his effort. It’s also the effect on the opposition that his inclusion causes. They will need to take into account another tall defender, who may not yet be an outstanding performer but has shown enough to cause some adjustments to be made, hopefully to our advantage. The coaches look at the total picture.
O'Donnell may become a good impactful player in due course but I highly doubt Stuart Dew is sitting there in coaches meetings working out how to counter the effect that O'Donnell & Tim O'Brien are going to have on the game.

O'Donnell may become a good impactful player in due course but I highly doubt Stuart Dew is sitting there in coaches meetings working out how to counter the effect that O'Donnell & Tim O'Brien are going to have on the game.
More fool him 😉

Bevo is not only the best coach the dogs have had he is the most stubborn. Maybe this is what makes him our best. The playing of JOD after 8 possessions in 2 games especially in Darwin conditions is a repeat of stubborn Bevo. Some examples in previous seasons are the backing off mark a failure, the continual playing of Gardiner when he did not deserve a game maybe one to Bevo but questionable at the time. Giving additional games McComb and Hannan when they should have been dropped a failure.

Look I think JOD has potential but he should be learning his craft in the 2's and 8 possessions in 2 games does not justify his selection in Darwin this week.
I agree he should be learning his craft at VFL level, but the MC obviously see some attributes that they like, so I can see the logic in playing him for a handful of games in the AFL.

The issue I have is players like Bedendo, Cleary, Khamis, West, Garcia come into the side for 1 or 2 games and are dropped, never to be seen or heard from again until the next one game opportunity. Make a mistake, don’t follow instructions, have a poor game - back to Footscray son.

We are crying out for another winger and developing inside mids and these guys are 21, 22, 23 years of age. If we can gift JOD a few games at the top level, we can do the same for others. I know Bedendo and Garcia have been injured, but I get the feeling that they would be playing VFL ala Cleary, Khamis, West even if they were fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back