Changes v Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

The life of a small market club that gets pushed to every corner of the country so Collingwood doesn’t have to leave the MCG…
That can't be right, because Graham Cornes actually said the AFL was the VFL and Adelaide were hard done by because they had to travel up the road to Ballarat (lets ignore that we play Victorian clubs who get stronger home ground advantages compared to some other games they host in travelling to Launceston and Geelong this year, we were one of two clubs that got an extra true away game in Gather round etc. etc.)

Bevo presser observations.

Bruce very unlikely
Treloar unlikely
CD likely to remain in the midfield

He was asked about VDM and Crozier as possible replacements for JJ (someone has been reading this thread) but reading between the lines, they won't be considered. In the same question, Bevo mentioned McNeil which is almost a dead giveaway he will possibly be the only inclusion for JJ.

If we lost in Ballarat, JOD would not be getting a game. Just cause we are winning doesn't mean he deserves a spot.

Khamis would be filthy right now.
Or he would be happy for his teammate and take it as a challenge to knuckle down and make his selection impossible to deny.

This season we will have played in Ballarat, Darwin, Tassie (hawks round 22) and Canberra. Is that some kind of record for amount of ‘boutique’ venues played at in a season? And we could have added one more with a different gather round draw.
Don't forget GMHBA as well.

Bruce very unlikely
Treloar unlikely

He was asked about VDM and Crozier as possible replacements for JJ (someone has been reading this thread) but reading between the lines, they won't be considered. In the same question, Bevo mentioned McNeil which is almost a dead giveaway he will possibly be the only inclusion for JJ.
We do occasionally spring a surprise selection though, either a surprise out (usually an unreported injury) or a surprise in (tactical or developmental such as O’Donnell).

In both situations it’s quite understandable - in fact essential - that nothing is said at the midweek press conference.

As an aside, we’ve been pretty good at keeping secrets in recent years. For the most part the only leaks have been the good news stories such as debuts.

Bruce very unlikely
Treloar unlikely

I have a feeling that Bevo may pull a 7th defender ‘by committee’ and just rotate guys like O’Donnell, Williams, Scott & CD through that role for this week.

CD will probably move back when until JJ returns given Treloar returns next week. I’d prefer to give Cleary a go but it doesn’t seem likely.

Bruce very unlikely
Treloar unlikely

I read it differently between the lines. I get the feeling that VDM is very much in consideration based upon that section of the presser.

"We've been gearing up for him (VDM) to fill a role from a needs point of view if there's not a role as a small or medium forward."

I'd say that JJ' speed off hb is a need the way we're playing and he did say prior to that that ideally he'd replace like for like. His slipping of McNeil into the conversation almost seemed like a diversion to stop them asking questions about VDM.

Not that McNeil is undeserving. They might both be in or one as sub which would make us very zippy.

I've got no problem giving VDM a crack at playing the JJ role, but I hope it's not this week

He's had a pretty limited build up and no game last week

Asking him to take on a hard running role in high humidity 20 degree+ slippery conditions almost seems like setting him up to fail

Give him at least 1 more with Footscray, or maybe the sub role.

I've got no problem giving VDM a crack at playing the JJ role, but I hope it's not this week

Asking him to take on a hard running role in high humidity 20 degree+ slippery conditions almost seems like setting him up to fail

I agree, get Mcsteal in and give the sub role to Vanders

I guess this was largely my initial take on it too. It just didn't seem likely that he would be ready/match fit enough given his long injury lay off so I never really considered it.

But, how would we know? If it transpires that he's selected, then he must have satisfied whatever monitoring and fitness assessments they have in place, so I'd be happy to see it.

He does seem to be a player that Bevo wants to find a place for, or at the very least, have him banging the door down for selection.

Fully fit, I'd like to find a place for him too. Super quick and aggressive are good finals attributes.

Well, this puts a slightly different light on things. The VFL and AFL teams will both be there anyway so the travel and warmth is the same regardless. Actual playing conditions will be slightly different but still.

1684916477237.png

This would actually allow Bevo to take Treloar up, name him in the starting team with McSteal whilst listing Cleary, VDM, Bruce and JOD as emergencies. Of course, Treloar won't get up, so 2 of the emergencies come in, one as a starter and one a sub, and no-one will have any idea how he's going to approach it till an hour before the game. Harder for the opposition to plan for it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cleary is so cleary the answer here, close to best performed player in the 2s all year, arguably next in line anyway and plays the same position (albeit in a different style) - don’t * with what’s working - CD/Williams/Scott all playing career best footy or close to it in their current roles up the field. No need to pissfart around the solution is Clear

plays the same position (albeit in a different style)
I don’t agree with this, in our system "half back" isn't really a real position. We play deep, mid and high defenders. JJ is a high defender, Cleary is a mid defender. They are different in terms of structure, style, and role. Cleary may come in but it will either take some juggling of other positions, or he will be playing a very different role to what he typically plays.

I don’t agree with this, in our system "half back" isn't really a real position. We play deep, mid and high defenders. JJ is a high defender, Cleary is a mid defender. They are different in terms of structure, style, and role. Cleary may come in but it will either take some juggling of other positions, or he will be playing a very different role to what he typically plays.
Cleary is comfortable deep and defending but he absolutely plays high at VFL level too. Either way it’s a veeeery slight change of role for him, Dale & Ed compared to a complete * around taking players out of other parts of the ground so not really comparable imo

Well, this puts a slightly different light on things. The VFL and AFL teams will both be there anyway so the travel and warmth is the same regardless. Actual playing conditions will be slightly different but still.

View attachment 1695583

This would actually allow Bevo to take Treloar up, name him in the starting team with McSteal whilst listing Cleary, VDM, Bruce and JOD as emergencies. Of course, Treloar won't get up, so 2 of the emergencies come in, one as a starter and one a sub, and no-one will have any idea how he's going to approach it till an hour before the game. Harder for the opposition to plan for it.
Surely we'd avoid taking him on the long flights on a hammy recovery. Not worth it just for a mind game.

Cleary is so cleary the answer here, close to best performed player in the 2s all year, arguably next in line anyway and plays the same position (albeit in a different style) - don’t * with what’s working - CD/Williams/Scott all playing career best footy or close to it in their current roles up the field. No need to pissfart around the solution is Clear
I agree but they clearly want line breaking pace back there.

I get the impression Treloar will be named and play. The way he has spoken about it, he sounds ready to go.

It will be 21 days since he injured it, if it was very minor then that's more than enough recovery.

It's a really important game for us. With the tricky conditions having another mid who is seasoned and extremely fit will be a huge bonus. Especially when most players will be out on their feet at different stages.

I agree but they clearly want line breaking pace back there.
Yeah ideally would be nice, I just don’t think we have any other options there except for VDM & potentially Gallagher but both need VFL time first.

Cleary can mark too so potentially releases Ed for a bit more run up the ground rather than relying on him deep

Bevo usually plays his cards as they’re dealt so I’m tipping we continue on without a JJ like for like replacement and just adjust accordingly. Dale and a Richards sufficient enough. We may just need a winger or one of our better moving mids like Smith to hold a more defensive position during def 50 rebounds to assist in transition.

I actually don’t mind the thought of Baz dropping back to play a hybrid half back/mid role particularly if we’ve got Treloar coming back in the next week or so. Has the pace and with the freedom of more space that the back half provides, he’d get plenty of ball and give us a lot of territory gain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back