Preview Changes v Sydney, Rd 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to give Petty an extended run (4-6 weeks) at a KPD post. Im not sure he’ll make it as gun, but I haven’t written him off yet either. If he can play his role and let May and Lever do their things, it’s a big win.

And T Mac has been our best KPF all year so I’m keen to keep him there too.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stop melting over Petty coming in.

He is a dominant defender at VFL level, goes for his marks and is really competitive. Has made a few errors early days playing down back but almost every young key defender will.

He's got a mature body and is ready to go. Back him in. He can play on the 2nd forward and we have flexibility to shift Lever around if we don't like the matchup.

Tommo is out for the year so we have to work out a long-term replacement. He'll be coming in to a much better defensive setup than when he has had to come in previously.

Go Petty

I think it's the smarter move. TMac has been great floating forward this season. And I've liked what Petty has been doing in the VFL. Might just need a decent run at senior footy to feel he belongs. We're 7-0 with a few games we should win coming up, so perfect time to get him in there. May takes best forward, Petty 2nd best. Allows Lever to play his role and we keep our structure up front and back.

I've knocked Goody pretty hard in past years on team selection, however this season he's got it right and has replaced like for like instead of usual crazy Goody type stuff.

Petty will be the 3rd player from our 2017 draft (behind Spargo and Slick) to show he's turned pro and is a capable AFL level player. He's ready.

Sparrow or Harmes in for Baker so Gus can go back to the wing.
Petty for Tomlinson

I reckon we will leave it at that, but Melk is under a lot of pressure with Chandler, Jones, Harmes all in reasonable nick and capable of playing that fwd/mid spot

In: Petty Sparrow Chandler
Out: Tomlinson Fritsch Baker

Hibberd May Petty
Salem Lever Hunt
Langdon Petracca Rivers
Spargo McDonald Melksham
Pickett B.Brown Jackson
Gawn Oliver Brayshaw
Jordon Neal-Bullen Sparrow Jones
Chandler (sub)

Not a fan of TMac back. Play him where he’s been performing well for two months. Petty gets an extended run in his natural position. He was drafted as an U/18 All Australian key defender. Let him develop down there under the wing of May and Lever.

Weid waits until there is a clear opportunity through injury or run of poor form from one of Brown/TMac/Jackson.

Called it.

Very curious to see not so much how Petty does individually but how much it affects the overall stinginess of our backline. What we need Petty to do is to hold his man just as much as is required to allow Lever and May to zone off when they would like so that they have the confidence to not be in two minds as to whether they should go for the intercept or stay back to come over the top of Petty’s man. As long as he’s not getting regularly outmarked and can bring the ball to ground and hold up the play etc we should be fine even if he’s not as dominant as Tomlinson was. Ideally L&M will continue cutting everything off.

Since when was Tmac going back a genuine option. That was a necessary in game move to fill the hole. Tmac has been really good up forward and Goody said Tmac's days in defence were over in the preseason. Petty is the obvious choice and I look forward to what he can bring to AFL level, May and Goody had some good words to say about him. Think they really rate him.

Yeah not too fussed with Petty coming in. TMacs dead eye setties and marking up the ground will come in handy. Will be interesting to see if him and Brown will gel though.

Lot of talk about cohesion and not making many changes so I doubt will see anything big change. Melksham lucky I reckon.

But like others here, I don't like how Brown changes the structure and have never been a fan of getting him. We didn't pay much to get him so he can be a back up and hopefully he has 1 more week to prove his spot and that's it. He falls over every contest and then is out of it. If the ball goes to ground its getting punched easily out of the 50.

Since when was Tmac going back a genuine option. That was a necessary in game move to fill the hole. Tmac has been really good up forward and Goody said Tmac's days in defence were over in the preseason. Petty is the obvious choice and I look forward to what he can bring to AFL level, May and Goody had some good words to say about him. Think they really rate him.

Don't think anyone is saying TMac hasn't been great up forward, can't remember a single person posting that.

It simply comes down to who would you prefer in the side Weid or Petty.

I'm a Weid man. Petty has been an absolute calamity for the majority of his time in defense at AFL level and looks a completely different player at AFL level than he does in the VFL, a nervous wreck..Weid has shown some really promising signs particularly over the past year and a bit.

You cant tell me that as a supporter in the back of your mind Weid leaving at the end of the season isn't somewhat of a concern, this is part of the reason I'd much rather play him over Petty right now, who, I couldnt give a flying * if he's here or not quite honestly.

Don't think anyone is saying TMac hasn't been great up forward, can't remember a single person posting that.

It simply comes down to who would you prefer in the side Weid or Petty.

I'm a Weid man. Petty has been an absolute calamity for the majority of his time in defense at AFL level and looks a completely different player at AFL level than he does in the VFL, a nervous wreck..Weid has shown some really promising signs particularly over the past year and a bit.

You cant tell me that as a supporter in the back of your mind Weid leaving at the end of the season isn't somewhat of a concern, this is part of the reason I'd much rather play him over Petty right now, who, I couldnt give a flying fu** if he's here or not quite honestly.
I'd take Petty and Tmac over Weed and tmac back every day. Petty's got some pretty big raps on him, both May and Goody have been talking him up a bit and he's been playing well in the VFL, I thought he showed a bit in 2019 when he was up forward, thought he was gonna be our saviour up forward. Let's see what he can do at the level and then we'll see what the best option is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other than the vibe and mabo you have nothing whatsoever to base this opinion on.
Why would you put our best forward back to be a lockdown defender. That's like Darcy Moore level fwd dumb. Let's see what Petty can do, the spot is there for him and I'll always back in our young players.

Why would you put our best forward back to be a lockdown defender. That's like Darcy Moore level fwd dumb. Let's see what Petty can do, the spot is there for him and I'll always back in our young players.

Why would u bring Ben Brown into a perfectly functioning forward line? 🤷

Last edited:
Why would bring Ben Brown into a perfectly functioning forward line? 🤷
Coz he's a star full forward, unlike Weed.
Weed has legit done nothing apart from a good finals series and some glimpses.

Coz he's a star full forward, unlike Weed.
Weed has legit done nothing apart from a good finals series and some glimpses.

😂. Let me know when Petty shows one tenth of a glimpse.

You're allowed to question the club and still love it mate, you don't have to run off blind faith 100% of the time.

Anyway, moaning about it from my end won't change s**t , just relaying my thoughts and concerns short term and long term, go Oscar 2.0 this week. What a gun. 👍

😂. Let me know when Petty shows one tenth of a glimpse.

You're allowed to question the club and still love it mate, you don't have to run off blind faith 100% of the time.
Ok :)
End discussion. Let's agree to disagree and let the wholesome vibes continue 🤗:rainbow:

Attn Mods - personal attacks and insults like this okay? According to my reading of BF rules it’s a no go. Cheers, GoH

Far from personal..but don't worry I'll put you ignore with schmutt since you can't handle a bit of banter. :(

Attn Mods - personal attacks and insults like this okay? According to my reading of BF rules it’s a no go. Cheers, GoH
Official board rules state that if you act like a flog you get treated like a flog so...

Happy to give Petty an extended run (4-6 weeks) at a KPD post. Im not sure he’ll make it as gun, but I haven’t written him off yet either. If he can play his role and let May and Lever do their things, it’s a big win.

And T Mac has been our best KPF all year so I’m keen to keep him there too.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I tend to agree this is a good opportunity to see how he stands up. He doesn't have to be a star he just has to do his job, which is basically just shut down his opponent and let may and Lever do their thing. It's not complicated, if he isn't up to it so be it but let's find out now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back