Prediction Changes vs Brisbane

If we add one midfielder to replace Thommo, who would you prefer out of:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got a feeling the Sauce -> ROB transition will be seem less.

I've been a massive critic of Sauce this year. Think ROB might actually provide some improvement to our around the ground play.

s**t I don't know about that, Sauce has had quite a few really good games this year. Seems to be at the right place at the right time with intercept marks all over the ground. Also despite his ruckman ungainliness, I'm very confident of sauce when he kicks. I don't think this is a trait of ROB unless he has Improved.

Do you have anything to backup your claim that defenders have always been higher tacklers?

Because Luke Brown is our highest ranked defender at 11th and our defence as a whole tackle count is quite low.

And this has always been the case.

Perhaps you owe Scorpus an apology?
Pick a year, any year in our history, majority of tackles come from the midfield.

Oh christ, the SANFL team has another bye?!!!

What a joke of a comp.

Goes to one of the issues with Menzel, due to concussion - which is a pretty sucky injury, that has nothing to do with conditioning or anything the most he has played is 3 weeks in a row (via Inside Football)
2016 Season
1 SANFL Bagged two goals and sizzled in the second half. -
2 SANFL Booted a goal and regularly showed great vision and skill. -
3 SANFL Kicked a goal and looked dangerous whenever he had the ball. -
4 SANFL Bye. -
5 SANFL Concussed early and didn't return after quarter-time. -
6 Concussion.
7 SANFL Well held and had no influence in the slippery conditions. -
8 SANFL Bye. -
9 SANFL Booted two goals against is hold side, including a brilliant snap. -
10 SANFL Bye. -
11 SANFL Three goals on a wing in skilful, classy display. -
12 SANFL Kicked a major and looked dangerous whenever the ball was near. -
13 SANFL Bye. -
14 SANFL Taken from the field after copping a heavy third-term head knock. -
15 Concussion.
16 Concussion.
17 Concussion.
18 Concussion.
19 SANFL Kicked two second-half majors. Provided link and class.
20 SANFL Bye

Anyway, good to give CEY another go, and smart to give Gov a rest

5 ******* Byes, that's just ****ed up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's utter rubbish .....most tackling nowdays is press related in forward 50 ....and defenders have always been higher tacklers ......twisting things because you don't like the results

You're high on stats ......backup your argument

You might want to actually look up tackling statistics before you go sprouting bullshit.

No defender is top 150 in the league for tackles. Unless you count half back flankers like Seedsman and Burgoyne

How about you backup your argument ......normally quick to post stats ....cmon

Neville Jetta has the most tackles for a defender. He's behind 143 midfielders in the stat

For key defenders, Michael Hartley is ranked 170th in the league. Josh Gibson 185th. Luke Brown (best in our team) 194th

I do find it interesting that Macaky's pressure acts are high, so I actually looked up what a pressure act is. Apparently it's one of these things:
  • Corralling (Opponent in the area, but only guarding space, not closing in)
  • Closing (Opponent in the area and approaching the ball-carrier)
  • Chasing (Opponent closing in from behind or forcing a player on the run to kick without steadying)
  • Physical contact on a player that's not a tackle
  • Actual tackles
  • Smothers
I imagine Mackay rates highly for coralling, closing, chasing and non-tackle physical contact. In fact he would have to, as that would explain the low tackle count relative to his pressure act count. Same with Douglas.

I also discovered that contested possessions (usually a measure of how "outside" a player is) don't correspond well to pressure acts. There is no indication a player with fewer contested possessions will have fewer pressure acts. The correlation is better for tackles, but not great either.

Good info mate, and thanks for posting this.

Based on that though, i don't see the discrepancy between pressure acts/tackles as a negative at all. I think its the other way around as long as a player's tackle counts are also good.

If each tackle also counts as a pressure act, and their tackle counts are very close (4.2 vs douglas 4.1), isnt the discrepancy - the additional pressure acts once the tackles are removed - just indicative of additional defensive efforts?

Good info mate, and thanks for posting this.

Based on that though, i don't see the discrepancy between pressure acts/tackles as a negative at all. I think its the other way around as long as a player's tackle counts are also good.

If each tackle also counts as a pressure act, and their tackle counts are very close (4.2 vs douglas 4.1), isnt the discrepancy - the additional pressure acts once the tackles are removed - just indicative of additional defensive efforts?

It would depend on the sort of pressure acts. You wouldn't want too many non tackle but physical contact pressure acts, because that would indicate you are getting close enough to tackle but aren't. Chasing would be a bonus though

Pods was asked about resting more players next week and he said there wouldn't be more resting as no one else needed it.

Also said they've been trying to time the McGovern rest for the last month. In a way it was good timing that Tex copped the ankle, otherwise Gov would have been gone after Geelong and after that performance it would have been seen as being dropped.

It also allowed Pyke to show faith in him and allowed Gov to respond which he did. Now he gets a rest and will be back against Freo, there is no chance we won't play him in his home state. Craig would have but not Don.

Not surprised no one will get rested next week how many more weeks before we get the next bye why would you rest anyone they need continual playing

The area that we have the greatest scope for improvement is our outside midfielders. We are better than last year when DMac and vB were running and carrying but our outside mids are hardly striking fear into the heart of the other Premiership contenders.

We need to choose two, possibly three of the following; THE RAT, THE SEED, Bran Nue Mackae and THE HENDO. Saturday night is part of the audition. I can't say who we will use in the finals because THEY LOST THE BLOODY LIST!!!!

Back