Prediction Changes vs Brisbane

If we add one midfielder to replace Thommo, who would you prefer out of:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That's utter rubbish .....most tackling nowdays is press related in forward 50 ....and defenders have always been higher tacklers ......twisting things because you don't like the results

You're high on stats ......backup your argument
50b86d60a653fe658e7dbb96a894fb34.png

EDIT: he is not even in the top 100 in the comp

The only reason why Seedsman actually left the seniors is because he pulled his hamstring. He didn't come straight back in due to the length of time he was out and form of the player who replaced him (Crouch). Hendo came in for Brown when he was injured, and Brown was in great form. Seed came back in when Laird got injured. Both Mckay/Seed got dropped for the Geelong game for the incumbents coming back from injury (Brown/Laid). Mckay with a whopping 0 tackles against the Pies.

So you're making quite a leap thinking hendo will slot straight back in regardless of the performance of Mackay/Seedsman. He'll play SANFL unless someone gets injured or plays poorly against the Lions. He most certainly isn't no. 1 in that pecking order.
I would like to be able to agree with you, because I really have no love at all for Henderson. Squib of the highest order. No thanks.

The reality is that Seedsman's hamstring didn't keep him out for that long. He didn't need to come back via the SANFL, and the only reason he's played since the injury is because of injuries to others. First Laird was a late withdrawal, resulting in Seedsman getting a call up from the emergency list. Then Hendo & Walker got injured, opening up another spot for him.

Will Hendo still be #1 after recovering from his own injury? Not sure. I hope not. Was he #1 at the time of his injury (during the Geelong game)? Undoubtedly.

I would like to be able to agree with you, because I really have no love at all for Henderson. Squib of the highest order. No thanks.

The reality is that Seedsman's hamstring didn't keep him out for that long. He didn't need to come back via the SANFL, and the only reason he's played since the injury is because of injuries to others. First Laird was a late withdrawal, resulting in Seedsman getting a call up from the emergency list. Then Hendo & Walker got injured, opening up another spot for him.

Will Hendo still be #1 after recovering from his own injury? Not sure. I hope not. Was he #1 at the time of his injury (during the Geelong game)? Undoubtedly.

Rubbish. Seedsman came back via the SANFL because Pyke's philosophy is to back the incumbent while he's happy with their performance.There is no magical list, and if there was Hendo would certainly not be above Seedsman on it.

That's utter rubbish .....most tackling nowdays is press related in forward 50 ....and defenders have always been higher tacklers ......twisting things because you don't like the results

Actually, Scorpus is right on that one. The highest tacklers at Adelaide are almost all inside mids - Sloane, Thompson, et al. The exception is Charlie Cameron, who is a tackling machine. Excluding Cameron, Mackay is the best of the outside mids - ahead of all of the other mid-small sized players (forwards or defenders).

You've lost it CEY is probably leading the Margary of course he would be ahead of wigg
You do realise that there's a difference between being able to perform well in the SANFL, and being able to perform well in the AFL? Brad Symes won a Magarey Medal, and he was almost completely useless at AFL level. Wigg's attributes mean that he's better suited to the AFL than CEY. He's faster, and when he kicks he can actually hit the side of a barn from more than 2 feet away. That's why Wigg was closer to selection, even if CEY was (arguably) performing better in the SANFL.

s**t I don't know about that, Sauce has had quite a few really good games this year. Seems to be at the right place at the right time with intercept marks all over the ground. Also despite his ruckman ungainliness, I'm very confident of sauce when he kicks. I don't think this is a trait of ROB unless he has Improved.

I am really pleased that ROB is getting a go. Sauce has had amazing resilience, but it can't last forever. Look at most of the other leading rucks - NicNat, Sandman, Goldstein, Mummy - all have had injuries this year.
It will be important to have auditioned our replacement should Sauce go down again this year.

Actually, Scorpus is right on that one. The highest tacklers at Adelaide are almost all inside mids - Sloane, Thompson, et al. The exception is Charlie Cameron, who is a tackling machine. Excluding Cameron, Mackay is the best of the outside mids - ahead of all of the other mid-small sized players (forwards or defenders).
Betts?

You do realise that there's a difference between being able to perform well in the SANFL, and being able to perform well in the AFL? Brad Symes won a Magarey Medal, and he was almost completely useless at AFL level. Wigg's attributes mean that he's better suited to the AFL than CEY. He's faster, and when he kicks he can actually hit the side of a barn from more than 2 feet away. That's why Wigg was closer to selection, even if CEY was (arguably) performing better in the SANFL.

Not according to the people that matter, his attributes don't give him the nod I front of someone putting it on the park week in week out, and it's actually a published fact unlike your theory

yawn, your wrong wrong wrong.

Averages 3.7 tackles per game. Dmac & Seedsman both average 4.2 per game.

The top 6 are:
Sloane - 7.4
Thompson - 7.2
Brad Crouch - 6.9
Charlie Cameron - 4.7
Jarryd Lyons - 4.7
Matt Crouch - 4.3

Mackay & Seedsman are tied for 7th. Excluding Cameron, the top-6 are all inside mids.

Betts is the first non-mid, at #10 in the rankings. Brown is the first defender, at #11.

Scorpus was half right with what they wrote, in that all of the top tacklers are midfielders, and Mackay is ranked 7th on that list. Where Scorpus went wrong, was under-rating how high 7th really is in the standings, given that Mackay is actually 2nd of the outside mids (with plenty more behind him).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not according to the people that matter, his attributes don't give him the nod I front of someone putting it on the park week in week out, and it's actually a published fact unlike your theory
We know Wigg was ahead last week. He was the traveling emergency, and they spent half the week talking up how close he was to being selected.

Then CEY played a blinder, and gets selected ahead of Wigg. It really is that simple.

I am really pleased that ROB is getting a go. Sauce has had amazing resilience, but it can't last forever. Look at most of the other leading rucks - NicNat, Sandman, Goldstein, Mummy - all have had injuries this year.
It will be important to have auditioned our replacement should Sauce go down again this year.

Oh I'm glad he's getting a run. Can't see how he's going to blitz it in his first game though. Hope he has a good game.

I see what you did there...
I didn't do anything there.

We'd never use O'Brien as our 23rd player either, regardless of whether he is close to selection or not for the same reason.

I think its a pretty interesting midfield group we will be lining up with:

Sloane: competitive beast, inside and outside, goal kicker
Lyons: clean hands, great vision, goal kicker
Mcrouch: tough and dirty primary extractor
Brouch: elite talent, great in traffic, quick hands and breakaway speed
Cey: big bodied athletic midfielder, good hands, strong body, has time and composure

The one glaring component I see missing is elite disposal by foot.

Think McGovern was always getting a rest at some stage. Would have been last week except for Tex's injury.

If Walker doesn't come up this week, McGovern stays and perhaps misses the next one.

I'm loving our approach. No longer best 22, one week at a time. Now actually managing our squad with some brain power and keeping half an eye on September. Certainly beats the moronic full bore one dimensional approach we've always favoured.

If it wasn't for the D-Mac blindspot and VB's cameos, selection would be an A+ this year.
If it was always planned for this period, which I doubt due to the bye before the finals, they had 2/3 weeks of below average to atrocious performances from him to kill two birds with one stone and both drop and 'rest' him. Planning a pseudoscientific scheduled rest for a player for exactly round 20, no earlier, no later, and regardless of form would be a very Neil Craig thing to do.

Consider this: McGovern hit form last week, Was it because of the garbage opponent or the absence of other tall forwards from the Adelaide forward line?

If only there were a way to conduct a moderately well-controlled experiment with two games in a row at the same venue and with the same level of terrible opponent, but with the absence of tall forwards one week and with tall forwards the other.

If it was always planned for this period, which I doubt due to the bye before the finals, they had 2/3 weeks of below average to atrocious performances from him to kill two birds with one stone and both drop and 'rest' him. Planning a pseudoscientific scheduled rest for a player for exactly round 20, no earlier, no later, and regardless of form would be a very Neil Craig thing to do.

Consider this: McGovern hit form last week, Was it because of the garbage opponent or the absence of other tall forwards from the Adelaide forward line?

If only there were a way to conduct a moderately well-controlled experiment with two games in a row at the same venue and with the same level of terrible opponent, but with the absence of tall forwards one week and with tall forwards the other.
First year players rarely play every single match.

You're saying they should have predicted his Geelong game and preemptively dropped him for it?

The only way the last bit of your post would make sense is if we're considering not playing McGovern for finals or not playing Walker for finals.

Ahhh I see, so that's why the top 20 tacklers in the AFL at present all play in the midfield.

Back