Opinion Changes vs Hawks OUT: Ryan Cox IN: Deluca McCarthy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think anyone trying to contest Taberner doesn't deserve a shot this weekend is kidding themselves.

He's kicked 11 goals in 2 WAFL games, as ydraw said something barely anyone on our list has achieved in our history.

We have a dysfunctional forward line with no KPF, we have a 4 game ruckman with no support, oh and we kicked 44 points on the weekend.

* history, it's time for him to get a go.

I think anyone trying to contest Taberner doesn't deserve a shot this weekend is kidding themselves.

He's kicked 11 goals in 2 WAFL games, as ydraw said something barely anyone on our list has achieved in our history.

We have a dysfunctional forward line with no KPF, we have a 4 game ruckman with no support, oh and we kicked 44 points on the weekend.

**** history, it's time for him to get a go.

Maybe it's the ruck work where he is getting baked for. Heard a couple of contests on the radio and he basically infringed and gave away a free kick. Surely that's more where he is copping a serve. Otherwise what he's doing as a forward is what he's suppose to do.

He needs to come in for 2 reasons. A - he's shown something the last 2 weeks and has earned a call up. B - Darcy is young and to carry the ruckload as a 19 year old is setting him up for exhaustion and following that a severe injury. Darcy 100% plays out the year, but he needs support.

I'm all for giving people a serve and saying they need to deliver more but IMO Taberner is doing his best. If his best is a couple of rungs below what Lyon is demanding then it's poor coaching and player management IMO.

On a side note. Moller tore it up in a basketball match the other day.

Maybe it's the ruck work where he is getting baked for. Heard a couple of contests on the radio and he basically infringed and gave away a free kick. Surely that's more where he is copping a serve
The coach stated publicly weeks ago that improved pressure and ruckwork would make Tabs easier to pick.
Lyon insists players become the best they possibly can.That is one of his coaching strengths.Sonny is an example par excellence.
The club believes he has the capacity to improve in areas,have set goals and he needs to meet them to be selected.
The stuff couldhavebeen reported from The Dodger's half time bake is likely central.

I know is not fair to compare Tab with Kersten but isn't it better to have tab and Cox playing together where both can ruck a bit and help out Sean Darcy than Kersten scoring one or two goal a game and ***** all after that with his effort. Kersten is pretty good in round 3- 5 with his effort but after I can only said he is ok .

The coach stated publicly weeks ago that improved pressure and ruckwork would make Tabs easier to pick.
Lyon insists players become the best they possibly can.That is one of his coaching strengths.Sonny is an example par excellence.
The club believes he has the capacity to improve in areas,have set goals and he needs to meet them to be selected.
The stuff couldhavebeen reported from The Dodger's half time bake is likely central.

100% don't disagree with you and who knows what is happening behind the scenes. I heard a couple of years ago in the player reviews he was the most likely to fall asleep in a meeting.

BUT there are half a dozen getting games in our team and they seem protected?

I mean our team balance isn't even right. So it's not like Taberner needs to come in at the expense of Kersten or Cox.

We're simply too short. Dropping a Suban for Taberner would make sense by itself in that it gives us height and a target and allows someone better then Suban to do what Suban does.

Dropping Taberner and saying work on your rucks skills and ignoring what he can do and provide would be like dropping Brad Hill and saying work on your disposal or dropping Crozier and saying work on your set shot goal kicking or dropping Spurr and saying work on your decision making.

I mean all could be dropped for that reason, but none have? Yet Taberner is?? I don't get it.

Also Hayden giving Taberner a spray? I mean it's a WAFL game and Taberner is the one singled out and given a public spray?

You can't drop a person from AFL and say you're not good enough and then hold them to a higher standard when they do get dropped.

Taberner is the poster boy for an in between player. He is genuinely way too good for WAFL and not consistent at AFL level.

He would 100% be more then capable in a functioning forward set up. Unfortunately we don't know how to score goals and Taberner is given the flick!

Put our faith in Tabs and he will give us a forward we've been crying out for.

I quite like how he is being managed. He clearly is being given some areas he needs to improve and is being held to them. Much better than the in/out he has copped in the past. Has he achieved what he has been asked to achieve at wafl level is the criteria for his selection and the best thing for his development.

It's pretty clear. We don't think he's good enough to reliably perform a certain role for us, and would prefer to give another kid a chance.

Writing is on the wall. If he needed a rocket to pull his fonger out and perform, then he's really not that hungry.

It's pretty clear. We don't think he's good enough to reliably perform a certain role for us, and would prefer to give another kid a chance.

Writing is on the wall. If he needed a rocket to pull his fonger out and perform, then he's really not that hungry.
I'm not sure you understand. He's 199cm tall. That makes him better than every forward on our list.

Forget how substandard the WAFL is. Kicking 11 goals in two games proves he's the next great AFL power forward in waiting. The way he avoids all physical contact shows he has the agility to make it at the top level. And his straight kicking, usually from 10m out, is elite. :p

I actually don't mind him and respect what he's done from the rookie list but gee wizz, some people are over inflating two WAFL games. The midfield is burning our scoring opportunities more than not having Tabs out there is. If he comes in, hopefully Ballas goes out - he's been average and isn't part of the future (hopefully).

Walters Cox McCarthy
Kersten Tabs Croz

If that doesn't kick us 20 goals - it's clearly Ross' lack of game plan! Reading the melts is the best part of this rebuild - looking forward to it for another year or two.

I'm not sure you understand. He's 199cm tall. That makes him better than every forward on our list.

Forget how substandard the WAFL is. Kicking 11 goals in two games proves he's the next great AFL power forward in waiting. The way he avoids all physical contact shows he has the agility to make it at the top level. And his straight kicking, usually from 10m out, is elite. :p

I actually don't mind him and respect what he's done from the rookie list but gee wizz, some people are over inflating two WAFL games. The midfield is burning our scoring opportunities more than not having Tabs out there is. If he comes in, hopefully Ballas goes out - he's been average and isn't part of the future (hopefully).

Walters Cox McCarthy
Kersten Tabs Croz

If that doesn't kick us 20 goals - it's clearly Ross' lack of game plan! Reading the melts is the best part of this rebuild - looking forward to it for another year or two.
LOL

Yeah yeah. Two wafl games :rolleyes:

I quite like how he is being managed. He clearly is being given some areas he needs to improve and is being held to them. Much better than the in/out he has copped in the past. Has he achieved what he has been asked to achieve at wafl level is the criteria for his selection and the best thing for his development.

Yeah I'd agree with that. He's clearly got major deficiencies, as you would expect from a rookie list KPF. However he has also had a couple of pretty good games in amongst it that make you think with constant effort he can be useful. I think he's been much better in the ruck this year which is one of those points, it's really now just consistency of effort and hitting the scoreboard - both of which we saw in the Essendon game.

Although I think many are kidding themselves if they think that there hasn't been a genuine argument to drop him in the past, or that he hasn't been given a decent run. He played rather a lot of games in a row last year and also the year before. I'd have dropped him when he was dropped (that game was ******* execrable by him), and likewise i'd pick him this week.

What worries me is that we have players out of their natural positions that they were drafted from. I understand
that this can create flexability, but sometimes it just looks like we a robbing Peter to pay Paul.
It is good sometimes for player development, get a mismatch, but long term?
The way I see it is that Crozier is better down back, same with Tucker, I prefer Weller mid/forward, Walters forward. Sure the odd cameo, here and there makes sense, but we have backman playing forward and forwards back?
I would play Tabs regardless, just to swap with Darcy, and see what happens, we maybe surprised.
What does stand out is that time is nearly up for Balla, Johnson, Spurr, so we need contigencies.
If you go back and read up on Crozier, has always found it difficult to stay in the game up forward, and it is
suggested that down back he would be more involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What worries me is that we have players out of their natural positions that they were drafted from. I understand
that this can create flexability, but sometimes it just looks like we a robbing Peter to pay Paul.
The way I see it is that Crozier is better down back, same with Tucker, I prefer Weller mid/forward, Walters forward. Sure the odd cameo, here and there makes sense, but we have backman playing forward and forwards back?
I would play Tabs regardless, just to swap with Darcy, and see what happens, we maybe surprised.
What does stand out is that time is nearly up for Balla, Johnson, Spurr, so we need contigencies.
If you go back and read up on Crozier, has always found it difficult to stay in the game up forward, and it is

Crozier was tried in the forward line 4 years ago and it didn't work then, and it won't work now. He's got some incredible aerial ability but not the bully to thrive in such a role. He'll clunk the odd specky but ultimately I agree - his best work is at half-back. Amazing that when he went back there in the last quarter against the Eagles he was able to get so much more involved.

He played for Peel against West Perth weekend before last and went well.

Spoke to Ed yesterday, he's 2 weeks away from playing again.
So I would say that means he is probably 4 weeks from being ready to play AFL.

Why do players have to stick to the position they played as a Junior? All players end up playing just about every role at some point, with some obvious exceptions. Of course you would like all players in your team to be in their preferred position, but you have to maximise your chances of winning, and if that means playing a mid as a forward, a forward as a back or vice versa than you do it. If that spare midfielder is a better forward than all of your forwards... I think you get my drift here.

Crozier suffers from simply not being good enough to demand the role he plays best, so he is forced to compromise and play a lesser role for the team - this is fairly common among players who are considered X-factor, burst style players, which is exactly what Crozier is. If Crozier wants that important front line role, than he needs to work on being involved and winning himself more positions, exerting a greater influence on the contest.

IMO, Crozier would probably be best served by playing defense, it plays to his strengths of marking from behind and he is one of the better kicks in the team, so his distribution from half-back would be decent. Playing a role at half back would almost certainly increase his influence on the game.

Flip the mentality. It's not about putting particular players into particular positions, it's about putting players into roles that they are capable of fulfilling, and juggling which players play each role the best, balancing a players best role with the roles that are available to be filled within the team.

Only two changes this week I think:

Tab for Kersten - reward good WAFL form, punish ineffective Kersten
McCarthy for Ballas - Need the added height down back (even though McCarthy plays a bit smaller) and Ballas is struggling again.

Don't need many changes to the midfield as they still won the contested ball and clearances/i50s.

Only two changes this week I think:

Tab for Kersten - reward good WAFL form, punish ineffective Kersten
McCarthy for Ballas - Need the added height down back (even though McCarthy plays a bit smaller) and Ballas is struggling again.

Don't need many changes to the midfield as they still won the contested ball and clearances/i50s.
The 'match committee' selecting the team is bull s**t, RTB gets who he wants.

Kersten won't be dropped this week (RTB: "I couldn’t be more pleased that he is growing. He is launching..." and "I wouldn’t have thought Shane Kertsen was an issue.")

Tabs won't be picked this week (RTB: re Tabs having a couple of big weeks: "Well that’s where it’s all debatable. I was there yesterday and what you think are big weeks and what I think are big weeks are often different.")

The 'match committee' selecting the team is bull s**t, RTB gets who he wants.

Kersten won't be dropped this week (RTB: "I couldn’t be more pleased that he is growing. He is launching..." and "I wouldn’t have thought Shane Kertsen was an issue.")

Tabs won't be picked this week (RTB: re Tabs having a couple of big weeks: "Well that’s where it’s all debatable. I was there yesterday and what you think are big weeks and what I think are big weeks are often different.")

We'll see. Ross has played silly buggers with his post match commentary before.

At the end of the day, I don't have a whole lot of confidence in Taberner or Kersten at the moment (Or McCarthy for that matter). Yeah our forward structure is poo, but the general way they move around on field doesn't really help any of that.

I think Hill needs to miss 1 or 2 weeks to get his shoulder right. Gee our depth is s**t, there is no one good to replace him with.
Only option really is De Luca. Hell even Sutcliffe would probably get the chance instead. Apart from that, it's bare. Would be Langdon, but he's still not right.
Tucker could go more into Hill's role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back