Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
7.30 had a story on Sally Zou. Mystery Donor was the headline as Leigh Sale introduced the story.

A sponsor of the Port Adelaide Football Club, takes out full page ads but it's her donations to the liberal party that are of most interest ..........

They went up to BroKen Hill to check her out and talks ex AusGold employees there. edgie have you come across her or AusGold up there?
I look forward to a posting of the 7:30 video clip.
You will get the full spectrum of stories on Sally ... from angel to dragonlady.
She is driven, excessively, by ‘face’ and by creating a heavenly life for her daughter.
As far as our Club is concerned, she is square ... all paid up.
As far as I am concerned ... handle with care.

Last edited:

The 9 minute 7.30 story at the link below. Transcript up later but a lot of it is in story linked in post #7100 on previous page.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/you-may-not-have-heard-of-sally-zou,-but-shes-one/9150826

Edit This bit at the end of the story is interesting and highlights cultural differences. She will have to adapt to survive in Oz. But I will miss the full page ads if she converts to Aussie norms completely.

ANGELIQUE DONNELLAN: 7.30 pressed Sally Zou for more information and a public relations firm responded on her behalf. They say she recognises many of her early dealings did not align with Australian business culture and practices and she's addressing this with the help of professional advisors. They say she thought she was doing the right thing paying her workers in cash and while it is commonplace to do so in China she now understands that's not the way it's done here.

The statement says Sally Zou has no friends or family highly placed in the Chinese government and her money has entered the country legally. At Broken Hill's local, former workers are still talking about what went wrong when Sally Zou came to town.

Last edited:
I looked at his Linkedin profile and it says he works for Global Footy in Melbourne and has since 2012. But I can't find anything and this facebook page hasn't been added to for 3 years.
https://www.facebook.com/globalfooty/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/brian-clarke-37303a36/
Have found Clarkey.
He is CEO of Australian Football International based in Melbourne.
Check out the link below and there are some leading football figures on that board.
The last guy- Colin Tincknell - is now an One Nation Party Member of the WA Upper House.
As my wife and I always say - You just never know where people will turn up.

http://aflinternational.com/board/
Cheers

Have found Clarkey.
He is CEO of Australian Football International based in Melbourne.
Check out the link below and there are some leading football figures on that board.
The last guy- Colin Tincknell - is now an One Nation Party Member of the WA Upper House.
As my wife and I always say - You just never know where people will turn up.

http://aflinternational.com/board/
Cheers
Thanks for the link. Looks like he is going the sports diplomacy route, or has gone that route to help set up programs for AFI. Looks like he has concentrated on Footy 9's.

I remember when living in a semi-detached many years ago, the owner of the other side sold up and the unit was bought by an opal miner from Coober Pedy. He walked into the real estate agent's office and dumped a suitcase full of cash on his desk to pay for the unit. Poor agent nearly had a heart attack.

A story in yesterday's Australian after Turnbull and Chinese Premier Li meet on Tuesday at the ASEAN conference.
China Premier Li Keqiang says Australia relations will improve
China’s Premier Li Keqiang has said relations with Australia are set to improve as he revealed he hung a photo of the two leaders wearing AFL scarfs in his office. It has been a rocky year in the relationship with Australian leaders and department heads opening voicing concerns about Chinese government interference in Australian society. Further, there has been a number of trade issues with six of Australia’s largest beef export firms banned over a labelling issue.

But in the opening remarks open to the media, Mr Li set a lighter tone and said the two countries were good friends. He said he expected bilateral relations to improve. Chinese Premier Li Keqiang has attempted to set a lighter tone by reminding Mr Turnbull about the time they watched an AFL game together. He said he very much enjoyed the gift of a photo of the two men wearing the scarfs from the AFL teams — Port Adelaide and Sydney Swans — and it is now displayed in his office.
China Premier Li Keqiang says Australia relations will improve

They went up to Broken Hill to check her out and talks ex AusGold employees there. edgie have you come across her or AusGold up there?

Nothing I can or should be saying here.

Short answer, she's a rogue. Being a rogue isn't necessarily a bad thing, but... I haven't heard much to the contrary. One of the names in that email is a best mate's boss now.

There's an article in the paper today, I can scan it and upload it if you like?

Nothing I can or should be saying here.

Short answer, she's a rogue. Being a rogue isn't necessarily a bad thing, but... I haven't heard much to the contrary. One of the names in that email is a best mate's boss now.

There's an article in the paper today, I can scan it and upload it if you like?
Why not.

So we are still waiting for a major sponsor....I thought this China endeavour would open the door to some sponsorship money. Seems to have done little in drawing large amounts money into the club. If only we had continues out onfield upward trajectory from 13/14 them maybe we could have capitalized.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we are still waiting for a major sponsor....I thought this China endeavour would open the door to some sponsorship money. Seems to have done little in drawing large amounts money into the club. If only we had continues out onfield upward trajectory from 13/14 them maybe we could have capitalized.

It's not like ordering a pizza.

Chen Shaoliang selected as one of 45 stories of the Australia-China relationship

"THE story of Port Adelaide player Chen Shaoliang has been included as one of the 45 stories used to mark the 45 years of diplomatic relations between Australia and the People’s Republic of China.

45 Years, 45 Stories is a collection of stories told from Australian and Chinese perspectives that speak to the breadth and depth of the friendship between our peoples ..."

Quid pro quo. Chinese government happy for investment in AFL to improve the impression of China in Australia. Anyone who doesn’t realise part of the support is to have a US ally lean more in their direction is naive. That’s for others to worry about though, we’ll happily take the support :D

Need Help for booking this china trip: Worth upgrading the match ticket to Field Club/Marquee?
I think Janus took up that option at the northern end of the ground.

I have read a bit about this bloke Clinton Dines a few years ago and the article below from mid 2014 and even saw him interviewed by John Doyle and Tim Flannery in their 2014 show Two Men in China. He worked for BHP for 21 years - was President of BHP for those 21 years after 8 years earlier going to China to teach English.

Clinton Dines: how to win in China
Jul 11 2014 at 5:14 AM
Clinton Dines, head of BHP China for 21 years, regrets not making more noise. It was 1999 and the resources boom was just taking off, but as head of BHP Billiton in China, he couldn’t convince head office it was real. “It took us three to four years to respond and even then it was too little too late," says Dines, who left BHP in 2009. “Decades later we have only just been able to balance [iron ore] supply with demand. You have to wonder at the opportunity cost." Dines says he was “pretty bloody noisy but should have been a lot louder" when describing China’s need for commodities.

Speaking to Boss from Shanghai’s famous Bund Hotel, Dines is reflecting on his 35 years in China, which will finish in December, when he and his family move back to Brisbane.

Among his major concerns, as he heads home, is the state of Australia’s engagement with our biggest trading partner. “We shouldn’t kid ourselves that just because we’ve done well from China over the last 10 years that we will do well for the next 10 years," Dines says.
http://www.afr.com/it-pro/clinton-dines-how-to-win-in-china-20140709-j5vye

Dines reckons Australians don't really value knowledge of China - at a business level. They are more interested in doing business with China but not in China. This is a challenge for our club and how we overcome both the cultural barriers and tyranny of distance, given we will be tapping into the next phase of China's development the services phase and transition to a consumer economy not just the world's factory.
Dines says the Australian business community has not progressed very far in its understanding of China and that our relationship remains one of doing business “with China, but not in China"; it’s a transactional relationship. “You don’t need to know anything about China to do this," he says. “Name me an Australian company that is really doing business in China." At the smaller end of town there are plenty of examples of Australian entrepreneurs making their mark, but scan Australia’s top 100 companies and the ranks are pretty thin, in part because of Chinese restrictions on foreign ownership in industries in which Australia is strong, such as financial services, healthcare and resources. “When I am putting together a global roundtable of chief executives to talk about China there are no Australians," he says. “This is partly because knowledge about China is not highly valued." Dines says this needs to change if Australia is to capitalise on the next phase of China’s growth, which will be all about services and the transition to a consumer economy.

Talks about being on the ground in China.
Companies will need to operate on the ground in China, not just transact with it. Financial services, logistics, healthcare and tourism are among the industries tipped to provide opportunities for foreign companies. But businesses need to be world class. “Everyone is in China, so unless you are the best of the best you are not going to make it," he says.

His life post BHP and what he will do in Brisbane.
In his new life, after China, Dines hopes to play a role helping Australia better understand the country where he spent two-thirds of his working life. After he left BHP, Dines took on directorships with two London-listed mining houses and has become a member of the Griffith University Council. Dines will stay on these boards, but will leave his role as executive chairman of hedge fund Caledonia Asia when he moves home. “It has been a very intensive, extremely stimulating experience," he says of his time in China, which began in 1979 when he worked as an English teacher. “There was no instruction manual, you had to work it all out yourself," he says.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back