Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the eve of the season why is Andrew Hunter in the home city of Alibaba and one of the 3 major tech cities of China?

Last edited:

On the even of the season why is Andrew Hunter in the home city of Alibaba and one of the 3 major tech cities of China?

Alisports going to do a deal with PAFC to broadcast/promote AFL the same way they've done with rugby?

You'd never have to worry about money again

Alisports going to do a deal with PAFC to broadcast/promote AFL the same way they've done with rugby?

You'd never have to worry about money again
I'd take that. Looks like Power Footy program into another 10m people city with 20m in the greater metro area only 2 hours drive SW of Shanghai. I think we need an experienced person to oversee the running of this and maybe an academy. ;)

Just posted in that Footy Industry thread that LFC2010 linked on the last page.

Whatever happened to Jeff's Tasman Triangle?? From November 13, 2009 1:06 PM

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2009-11-13/hanzup-for-hawks-nz-program
HAWTHORN has entered the New Zealand market, launching a new community-based program called 'HANZ-UP! AFL Program' and securing its first Kiwi international scholarship player Kurt Heatherley. The Hawks announced an initial three-year deal with an option to extend the partnership until the end of 2018. The program is the brainchild of Hawthorn player personnel and strategy manager Chris Pelchen and is the result of 18 months research and planning. HANZ-UP! was launched by president Jeff Kennett, AFL national community manager community development manager Dean Warren and Kiwi-born Hawks Trent Croad, Brent Renouf and Shane Savage at Westpac Stadium, Wellington.

Kennett said Hawthorn's entry into New Zealand would help grow the game and the Hawks' profile and talent pool long-term.

"Today we plant an acorn, from which will grow a mighty force, the Tasman Triangle," he said.

"The partnership between Hawthorn Football Club in Victoria, with New Zealand and Tasmania, will offer and develop the Australian football code, giving young people the choice to play the game, from which talented players might find a professional career."

AFL national community manager community development manager Dean Warren said the program was an exciting part of the AFL's international vision to promote the game. "AFL clubs and their players are Australian football's biggest promotional assets and to have one of the AFL's most recognised and successful clubs supporting AFL New Zealand and the growth and development of the game in New Zealand is very exciting," he said.

"The AFL is delighted that Hawthorn Football Club shares our international vision."

HAWTHORN has entered the New Zealand market, launching a new community-based program called 'HANZ-UP! AFL Program' and securing its first Kiwi international scholarship player Kurt Heatherley. The Hawks announced an initial three-year deal with an option to extend the partnership until the end of 2018. The program is the brainchild of Hawthorn player personnel and strategy manager Chris Pelchen and is the result of 18 months research and planning. HANZ-UP! was launched by president Jeff Kennett, AFL national community manager community development manager Dean Warren and Kiwi-born Hawks Trent Croad, Brent Renouf and Shane Savage at Westpac Stadium, Wellington.

Kennett said Hawthorn's entry into New Zealand would help grow the game and the Hawks' profile and talent pool long-term.

"Today we plant an acorn, from which will grow a mighty force, the Tasman Triangle," he said.

"The partnership between Hawthorn Football Club in Victoria, with New Zealand and Tasmania, will offer and develop the Australian football code, giving young people the choice to play the game, from which talented players might find a professional career."

AFL national community manager community development manager Dean Warren said the program was an exciting part of the AFL's international vision to promote the game. "AFL clubs and their players are Australian football's biggest promotional assets and to have one of the AFL's most recognised and successful clubs supporting AFL New Zealand and the growth and development of the game in New Zealand is very exciting," he said.

"The AFL is delighted that Hawthorn Football Club shares our international vision."

"If Hawthorn can't make New Zealand work how on earth can Port Adelaide make China work?"

:think:

Do basically Jeff failed in NZ and now he is worried PAFC will succeed in China and make him feel bad.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'd take that. Looks like Power Footy program into another 10m people city with 20m in the greater metro area only 2 hours drive SW of Shanghai. I think we need an experienced person to oversee the running of this and maybe an academy. ;)
I'll put my hand up. I've spent most of a day in Hangzhou, and I recognise a football most times

Jake the Muss beat up the last guy who touched the Tasman Triangle. No one has dared to go there since. ;)

1518996757032.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ray Gunston from the AFL whose comment from the Business of Sports conference I put 4 posts up, has the title - General manager, finance,corporate and special projects at the Australian football League

You would think any licence agreements between the government and SANFL and SMA and then with the 2 clubs - we had to sign a s**t load of them just before we played our first game at AO, 13 all up which included the team in the SANFL - would have an all home games clause in it to allow for expansion and contraction of the league season. We did play only 20 home and away games in 1993 and Gil has talked about just 17 game season, so it would allow for increase/decrease on the current situation.

You angling towards us being able to play a game out of regular seasonal aspects ?

Do basically Jeff failed in NZ and now he is worried PAFC will succeed in China and make him feel bad.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
... after they did a massive 18 WHOLE MONTHS research and planning into NZ beforehand!!
Another example (like Melbourne into China in the late noughties) of a club wanting quickie results after the minimum of ground work.

You angling towards us being able to play a game out of regular seasonal aspects ?
Nope. people are looking for a loophole and I reckon there isn't one.

During the election coverage I started re reading this thread from the start, nothing else was on and whilst I was curious to see the result it was duller than I thought, so I kept reading. Got to about page 83 and then last night continued on until about page 148 as I wanted to get to the end of 2016. Next weekend I will probably read thru to a few weeks after the game.

Lots of interesting stuff, and swings in mood from cynical about it all, waste of time comments, not gonna happen, wont get much out of it, to people turning into true believers. Its an interesting retrospective.

I could quote a few things I really liked or where people's opinion blew up in their face but Ford posted this from the Herald Sun on Page 92 from 26 June 2016. Its 10 weeks after the MOU was signed and that we would play a game in China, hoping for 2017 but not sure, when the board met in Shanghai and hosted a business function, and thought it's interesting given Kochie's and Kennett's spat last week.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...h/news-story/32017f9de7c80880be0ffbefae09ba4e
“Until you are in China, you cannot truly grasp the opportunities we have here,” Koch said. “Our board now understands the full potential of what is on offer here. They have seen for themselves the importance sport is developing in China and how we can build strong relationships that are beneficial not only to us, but Australian businesses.

“For us, success in China will be measured by more than playing an AFL game in Shanghai. We want to build cultural and trade ties between Australia and China. We want to help the game of Australian football grow here.

“And we want to build the brand of ‘Australia’ with AFL games on Chinese television — a move that not only helps us, but the AFL and other AFL clubs wanting exposure in the world’s biggest market.

“I’d much rather set this as a vision for the Port Adelaide Football Club’s future than go down the path of more pokie machines. What we have done in China this year is just phenomenal.”
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...h/news-story/32017f9de7c80880be0ffbefae09ba4e

Speaking of vision and the election - if Marshall’s GlobeLink project gets off the ground and suddenly our primary food and wine producers are shipping direct to China 24/7, wouldn’t it be great to have an annual meeting place at which businesses could interact with each other in a casual setting and share a beer while watching something uniquely Australian? Sort of like a celebration of Australian culture while eating some South Australian seafood from Eyre Peninsula or steak from Kidman with a nice South Australian wine.

Slightly off topic, I just spent 2 weeks in Sichuan and Guangdong provinces. The mobile and internet services were second to none, went thru mountains, forests and remote areas and I was exceptionally impressed. Not one spot we could not access mobile networks.

Notes from the AFL Annual Report

• The AFL notes the Port game in Shanghai was watched by a peak television audience in China of 4.482 million people.
  • The AFL believe the game was a great success as it was played before a sell-out crowd of more than 10,000 based on capacity restrictions on the venue.
  • More than 30 per cent of attendees were from the local Chinese community,
  • The AFL Asia Shanghai Cup saw 14 teams from across Asia compete in a tournament in Shanghai the day before the Port Adelaide-Gold Coast Suns
    match. The China Reds and the All-Asian Lions also played an exhibition match following the AFL clash at Jiangwan Stadium.
  • The AFL was also thrilled to secure an agreement with new rights holder Guangzhou Competition Channel (GZTV) which saw one match broadcast live
    directly into China on GZTV during each week of the Toyota AFL Premiership Season and Finals Series, including the round eight match in Shanghai between the Gold Coast Suns and Port Adelaide and the 2017 Toyota AFL Grand Final. In addition, the AFL secured an agreement with Shanghai Media Group (SMG) to also broadcast the round eight match in Shanghai into China.

Notes from the AFL Annual Report

• The AFL notes the Port game in Shanghai was watched by a peak television audience in China of 4.482 million people.
  • The AFL believe the game was a great success as it was played before a sell-out crowd of more than 10,000 based on capacity restrictions on the venue.
  • More than 30 per cent of attendees were from the local Chinese community,
  • The AFL Asia Shanghai Cup saw 14 teams from across Asia compete in a tournament in Shanghai the day before the Port Adelaide-Gold Coast Suns
    match. The China Reds and the All-Asian Lions also played an exhibition match following the AFL clash at Jiangwan Stadium.
  • The AFL was also thrilled to secure an agreement with new rights holder Guangzhou Competition Channel (GZTV) which saw one match broadcast live
    directly into China on GZTV during each week of the Toyota AFL Premiership Season and Finals Series, including the round eight match in Shanghai between the Gold Coast Suns and Port Adelaide and the 2017 Toyota AFL Grand Final. In addition, the AFL secured an agreement with Shanghai Media Group (SMG) to also broadcast the round eight match in Shanghai into China.
I guess the figures that would "never get released" got released.

Can you just drop this on the Crows board too?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back