Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where you get rotated out after 2 years or whenever Port decide they dont want to work with you? How much building do you think will get done exactly?

The AFL could turn around at the end of the season and simply refuse to fixture it at all.

Yes they could but I very much doubt it. Considering the numbers watching it which already has shown to be very significant I don't think they will. They would be rubbing their hands together with the potential of growing the brand in a country that is hungry for sports. The tv rites alone will in future be worth many, many millions.

The PAFC and its partners due to the hard work has opened the door to a HUGE market. It would be insane for the AFL to rock the boat.

I could be wrong but I was under the understanding that we paid the Gold Coast a half mill to have this game as our home game ? If that is the case, it was in our rite to to wear our home jumper with the Gold Coast wearing there away Jumper. That is what the issue was.

Either way if all are smart and patient this market with grow exponentially with many clubs having the ability to assist us in growing the pie. Fundamentally our game is a unique one that should be shared with the world. Anyone who has dealt with the Chinese culture knows that it is relationships that gain you a foot hold into such a market, we have invested a LOT of time with help from people like Lockhart Road and others in setting up a bright future.

Kennett has always been a narcissistic windbag, who dribbles a lot of s**t. let him dribble as much as he wants. I find it quite amusing considering he was a master at raising funds via foreign investment and selling pretty much every public asset to the highest bidder.

Kochie might have done better not to take the bait.
Kennett would have not a moment's hesitation in kicking us in the teeth if the positions were reversed. What does Kochie have to gain by handing him some of our IP on China? Has Kennett pricked his ego?

I sincerely doubt Koch will give inside info to Kennett in this meeting. He will merely show the obvious:

a) if footy wants to grow, the only way to go is beyond Australia;

b) China's market is so absurdly huge, that it can become a footy nation bigger than Oz, without the sport becoming "mainstream" over there;

c) the Chinese are already putting money on Australian football;

d) the sport can help openning doors for other Australian investments in China; and so on and so port...

Kochie has right of reply imo

The duty! This could not be allowed to stand unanswered. Moreover, the way it is being done is the right one: publicly announcing that there will be a reply; privately speaking about it.

Even though we made everyone know we are calling Kennett's bullshit, we are not going to expose him more than he already did. We are saying that the shame is already on him — and on those who agreed with him. Brilliant!

Last edited:

Lot of insecurity and paranoia being retrofitted to support the usual anti-Gil / anti-AFL narrative. AFL house has only been very complimentary and supportive of what we've done and achieved in China (a lot of extrapolation of his comments about taking AFLX to the world has occurred, when frankly it was fairly irrelevant to us and Shanghai). Since we are all aware of the required depth of effort within the club that has gone into building the connections to the point we have today, this is a substantial source of competitive advantage for us and can't just be swapped out. We do need the support of other clubs with this in order to play games for premiership points there and after a bit of foot dragging last year it seems Gold Coast have woken up to the potential benefits if they embrace the endeavour.

Yes they could but I very much doubt it. Considering the numbers watching it which already has shown to be very significant I don't think they will. They would be rubbing their hands together with the potential of growing the brand in a country that is hungry for sports. The tv rites alone will in future be worth many, many millions.

The PAFC and its partners due to the hard work has opened the door to a HUGE market. It would be insane for the AFL to rock the boat.

I could be wrong but I was under the understanding that we paid the Gold Coast a half mill to have this game as our home game ? If that is the case, it was in our rite to to wear our home jumper with the Gold Coast wearing there away Jumper. That is what the issue was.

Either way if all are smart and patient this market with grow exponentially with many clubs having the ability to assist us in growing the pie. Fundamentally our game is a unique one that should be shared with the world. Anyone who has dealt with the Chinese culture knows that it is relationships that gain you a foot hold into such a market, we have invested a LOT of time with help from people like Lockhart Road and others in setting up a bright future.

Kennett has always been a narcissistic windbag, who dribbles a lot of s**t. let him dribble as much as he wants. I find it quite amusing considering he was a master at raising funds via foreign investment and selling pretty much every public asset to the highest bidder.
well said

In yesterday’s Gold Coast Bulletin a piece was published that directly contradicts Jeff Kennett’s opinion quoted today on the AFL going overseas especially to China.
I saw it posted earlier in this thread, I thought, but can’t find it and so am re-posting it below (edited) as I am so pleased to see another AFL club taking seriously the China opportunity we have created for them.
Those reading it will find the text familiar. It’s almost as if we wrote it ... a few years ago.
The Gold Coast Suns `home game’ on May 19, at Shanghai’s Jiangwan Stadium, will form the centrepiece of a five-day expo of business and trade, centred on The W hotel, which will be transformed into a GC HQ. While last year’s inaugural China match was spearheaded by Port Adelaide and the AFL, the Suns have taken charge of their own delegation for 2018, hosting up to 200 people looking to grow their business in the world’s most populous city.

... Suns CEO Mark Evans said, as well as the game itself, delegates on the five-day program could attend a banquet, training sessions, sightseeing and a showpiece Shanghai Surf Club Cocktail Party, with The W themed in Gold Coast style — complete with surf lifesaving flags by the pool.

“Last time we joined into most of the AFL activities and this year we decided to very much stand alone and promote Queensland and particularly the Gold Coast,” he said. “All of our events are tied in with tourism, education and industry and running our own delegation means that we’ll take over a part of Shanghai and `Gold Coast-ify’ our venue.” The delegation will include representatives from Gold Coast Tourism and Study Gold Coast, as well as State Government trade officers. “It’s a great opportunity to fly the Gold Coast flag — Adelaide will be doing it through Port Adelaide and it’s very important that Team Gold Coast not only give Adelaide some good competition on the field but also give them some good competition on the trade front as well,” he said. “China’s not a place you just go once — you’ve got to keep at it and you’ve got to build those relationships over a period of time.”

... Mayor Tom Tate said following up last year’s Shanghai Suns match showed the city was not a “one-trick pony”.
“We believe in the game, the Suns, we believe in the Gold Coast and we believe in harnessing the relationship with China,” he said. “To display quintessential Australian sporting culture to China, you never know, they might take it up and want to be part of AFL one day.”

Gold Coast Tourism chairman Paul Donovan said the trip would be a GC-themed “mini-expo in Shanghai”.
“It’s not just one football game, it’s Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, through a lot of events,” he said.
“It’s our biggest market now and the thing about China is the moment you relax there are 10 or 20 other cities behind you trying to cut your lunch.”

Suns chief commercial officer Simon Fitzgibbon said the May 15-20 delegation was an example of “sports diplomacy” at work.

IMO it's as much GCS 'taking our template', as it is them doing something REH mentioned here a few weeks back. To paraphrase, the AFL and the GC probably expected to "inherit" support from expat southerners living up there, but the pesky buggers keep supporting the teams they grew up with. For obvious reasons GWS could have had no such illusions and engaged more tightly with 'local' business and community as an entry point to building support levels earlier than GCS did.

Unlike GWS's 'Penrith to Punchbowl' homelands, 'local' to a non-Brisbane Queenslander means 'from Mt Isa to Mt Tambourine'. Brisbane based business isn't automatically antagonistic to anything from GC in the manner of SA footy's parochialism. It also should have helped that GC's 'local' rival was not exactly lighting up the charts - GWS's first season ended with Sydney winning the flag which no doubt cost them some kids just as 1997 did with us. It ought to have be an easier trail to blaze for GC than the one GWS had around them, and GC have a much more attractive range of trails to sell than GWS, if you like. Our initiative gives them a link between an international campaign and local engagement.

GC could have and should have beaten that drum harder, earlier, which is why their not-quite-into-it-but-thanks-for-the-cash attitude last year was a bit head shaking, but it's all good for footy. I'm ok with GC benefiting from it in that respect as long as they're no credible threat on field :p

EDIT: a final thought...

Those who worry about "GC getting more of the pie up there than we do and they don't dezerves it" are maybe still a little traumatized by the historical controversy over the size of football pies in South Australia. I can empathize with that, not sympathize with it. Ask yourselves ... would you prefer the hopping dead Kangaroos got this leg up (maybe in exchange for ceding more of Tassie to the Kennett Hawks? Or Carlton, because the weakest of the "Old Big Four" needs help from AFL House?? Or how about - IMO the worst choice of all on so many grounds - Essendon??? Basically, if you're just vaguely pissed about it being GC and don't have an alternative you can argue for and defend in the context of the whole code, what's the point of just being all small minded and... "Adelaide" about it?

Last edited:
Would it be easier for us if the China game was our home game? How can we establish a two-year rotation between the other clubs, if we need to convince them to sell us one home game of theirs?

I remember having read that our deal to play at AO forbids us to play a home game elsewhere. Is it true? Still, wouldn't it be renegotiated soon?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would it be easier for us if the China game was our home game? How can we establish a two-year rotation between the other clubs, if we need to convince them to sell us one home game of theirs?

I remember having read that our deal to play at AO forbids us to play a home game elsewhere. Is it true? Still, wouldn't it be renegotiated soon?
Why tinker with what works? We keep our 11 home games and don't muck around with what seems to now be a good stadium agreement with AO. A club like GC (and a heap, of others) can take a money-losing low-attendance game off of their schedule and instead make money.

baf347f5-e6a3-475b-a1b3-e61e6c10292f.png

Adolf-366812.jpg
Hilarious
Good post

The SMA will not negotiate on this.

KT pre game at Alberton on 5AA said "China is a big part of my week, every week and it will be for ever and a day." He's never publicly put it that way so blatantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back