Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

every bloke you mentioned been gone for a decade.

No doubt they set tone 10 years ago ..but not now

GO Catters

Selwood is still here.
The foundations were set many long years before Chris Scott even arrived at the club.
This club had already won 2 premierships and was regarded as the most professional club in the competition by 2010.

Selwood is still here.
The foundations were set many long years before Chris Scott even arrived at the club.
This club had already won 2 premierships and was regarded as the most professional club in the competition by 2010.
so you are saying that the foundations were set 10 years ago.... and no player or coach has had any influence.

Next time you enter a thread... can you bring some degree of reason to it.

Selwood surely sets the tone.

Id dare say Stewart, PFD, lLitz, Close, CS, Pops., Eddie, Scarlo, Boris, Steve Hocking, HT all have input in their own way.

But by all means, keep the blinkers on lol

Go Catters

so you are saying that the foundations were set 10 years ago.... and no player or coach has had any influence.

Id dare say Stewart, PFD, lLitz, Close, CS, Pops., Eddie, Scarlo, Boris, Steve Hocking, HT all have input in their own way.

Go Catters

Since it's the past players who apparently set the foundation for the clubs culture - maybe we need to start going back future, you know like Brownless, Stoneham, Ablett Snr, Riccardi etc

Because obviously no current player or coach would have an impact or influence on current culture at the club and it can only be based on those that came before...

That particular poster will never give Scott credit ...Scott out coached Hinkley today btw.
And did it with no ruck and taking Blitz 2 roles as ruck and a MF.

Go Catters

Yep...not an easy day in the coaches box...
We don’t win because of our coach only in spite of him. Losing is all on him though.

Still rate us only as also-ran’s. Today merely confirms Port are bog ordinary imo.

Another great coaching effort from the players. ✅

I can't help but wonder why 18 clubs bother wasting money on a coaching departments & staff, when clearly it's the players doing all the work at coaching themselves...

Go Catters
The emotions of recent failed finals campaigns has overtaken reason for many.
Everyone here screamed for change... most blamed Chris Scott.
His decision to top up with experienced players had raised expectations... but backfired disastrously.
While significant changes were made to assistant coaching staff... Scott remained.
This was not good enough for the anti Scott faction, as he embodies their angst.

Scott too has obviously changed his game plan / strategy and it is still evolving.
At the post game presser Scott said:
"When we're in the mode of where we're evolving with our list and the way we want to play
we accept there's going to be some lumpiness there,"

"Our ambition is to get our game in such good shape that you just win the next game you play."

Changes to teams take time to implement, to test, to modify and longer to deliver success.
Everyone has noticed the improvement to Kolo, Atkins and Zuthrie this season
This is a direct result of the new assistant coaches not just co-incidence.

Coaching is a long term process of player development, learning game strategy, team bonding, etc.
Like weight loss is difficult to detect daily but evident over time, and in retrospect.
Change is underway. Be patient. We are moving in a positive direction.

The emotions of recent failed finals campaigns has overtaken reason for many.
Everyone here screamed for change... most blamed Chris Scott.
His decision to top up with experienced players had raised expectations... but backfired disastrously.
While significant changes were made to assistant coaching staff... Scott remained.
This was not good enough for the anti Scott faction, as he embodies their angst.

Scott too has obviously changed his game plan / strategy and it is still evolving.
At the post game presser Scott said:
"When we're in the mode of where we're evolving with our list and the way we want to play
we accept there's going to be some lumpiness there,"

"Our ambition is to get our game in such good shape that you just win the next game you play."

Changes to teams take time to implement, to test, to modify and longer to deliver success.
Everyone has noticed the improvement to Kolo, Atkins and Zuthrie this season
This is a direct result of the new assistant coaches not just co-incidence.

Coaching is a long term process of player development, learning game strategy, team bonding, etc.
Like weight loss is difficult to detect daily but evident over time, and in retrospect.
Change is underway. Be patient. We are moving in a positive direction.

When did Scott become chief list manager - because the bold is a list management & recruitment decision, unless you're suggestion that Scott runs that side of things also

When did Scott become chief list manager - because the bold is a list management & recruitment decision, unless you're suggestion that Scott runs that side of things also
I think there are two broad aspects of list management.
There would be the longer term stuff, focusing on list demographics etc and the shorter term ‘ready made’ mature player stuff, which our club has embraced with mixed success in recent years.
To say that Scott has not had a big say in the latter decisions would be naive..

Please note: this is not anything against Scott. Just a genuine question that has come to my mind.

Why does Scott find it so hard to retire players like Dahl, Higgins and Rohan when in the past he has let players like Chapman, Kelly, Stokes retire (then go to Essendon.) Ottens, Scarlett. Why does he find it so hard now?

Higgins is a lot more cooked then what Scarlett was in 2012.

Genuine assessment would be this: at the time those players were moved on, it was anticipated by EVERYONE that we were gonna fall off. Within 2 years i think even the most optimistic fans thought we would be forced to rebuild, and I think the club and coaching staff thought that too. So they tried to get thing started: who can we move on that isn’t really needed if we rebuild, who can open up some space in the list?

Suddenly Hawkins is a dominant key forward, Selwood - who was obviously already elite but was still getting even better - Enright is probably playing the best footy of his career even as an older player, Lonergan, Taylor and Mackie were still an elite defensive combination, Duncan had matured into a virtual A grader, and then with on signing at the end of 2015 we got the best player in the comp.

I highly doubt there is a part of Scott or any official that thinks Dahlaus or Higgins or Smith are better players now than what Kelly and Chapman and Johnson were then. But their assessment of where we are in our timeline is probably a lot different

(Log in to remove this ad.)

List Management is a committee comprising Coach, Recruitment and Management.
The coach sets the direction of what he wants / needs
All Coaches would discuss potential acquisitions and delisting's
Recruitment sources best available options... Coach has input
List management committee determines final decisions,
Management resolves logistics and administer contract details.
Suggesting these individuals act autonomously is disingenuous.

Selwood is still here.

There is no doubt our culture changed dramatically in 2007.
What we did well was start with Leading Teams and ensure that all facets of our Organisation from the Office to the playing group were aligned.
Costa/Cook and Balme were fundamental as was the change to Bombers responsibilities and the influence of key assistants. It also helped enormously that our playing group was primed and ready to go - perfect storm all round.

I think the Selwood/Scott era has largely maintained that culture and our Administration has remained strong - so the fundamentals are still there except we no longer have a generational team. We have been damn good but lacked that ingredient to get us over the line when it counted.

Totally agree Lingy!
On next week's episode: "What is better: Being a bridesmaid every year, or being the bride once?"
Does it hurt knowing your viewpoint is held by very few at the club past and present?

Scott, Cook, Carter, Costa, Drummond, Wells... all have Lingy's view.
And I love that we're not one of those loser clubs who rebuild repeatedly. That's beneath us.

Totally agree Lingy!
On next week's episode: "What is better: Being a bridesmaid every year, or being the bride once?"
Ling has been “married” three times. I’m sure he has a good handle on it.

Does it hurt knowing your viewpoint is held by very few at the club past and present?

Scott, Cook, Carter, Costa, Drummond, Wells... all have Lingy's view.
And I love that we're not one of those loser clubs who rebuild repeatedly. That's beneath us.

But we are in our 11th year without a flag !!!

You know - staying relevant which you like - and you keep repeating that we are not a loser club -

However where and when do you draw the line - ie if we keep staying relevant for 15 or 20 years - i mean the years click on quickly - no premiership in say 15 or 20 years since the previous one - i think most people would class that as a lengthy flag drought

Your a great fan of Chris Scott - and thats fair enough - that is your view .However i think there is one fallacy in your view - and that is if Scott was not reappointed at the end of 2021 - then the view you come accross with in your posts on this topic - is that Geel without Scott would suddenly fall in a heap - which i think is utter nonsense . Cameron at CHF - Hawkins at FF - Stewart - Blicavs all the other good players the Cats have got - Geel would be 6-4 or 7-3 or 5-5 or maybe better - they would still be competitive - but with a new coach in 2022 - maybe - just maybe - they might have been able to do something reorganise things to jag that elusive flag

Like i say it is 11 years and the clock is ticking

But we are in our 11th year without a flag !!!

You know - staying relevant which you like - and you keep repeating that we are not a loser club -

However where and when do you draw the line - ie if we keep staying relevant for 15 or 20 years - i mean the years click on quickly - no premiership in say 15 or 20 years since the previous one - i think most people would class that as a lengthy flag drought

Your a great fan of Chris Scott - and thats fair enough - that is your view .However i think there is one fallacy in your view - and that is if Scott was not reappointed at the end of 2021 - then the view you come accross with in your posts on this topic - is that Geel without Scott would suddenly fall in a heap - which i think is utter nonsense . Cameron at CHF - Hawkins at FF - Stewart - Blicavs all the other good players the Cats have got - Geel would be 6-4 or 7-3 or 5-5 or maybe better - they would still be competitive - but with a new coach in 2022 - maybe - just maybe - they might have been able to do something reorganise things to jag that elusive flag

Like i say it is 11 years and the clock is ticking
Clubs who rebuild. Fail. Rebuild. Fail. Rebuild and see little finals actions for 10-20 years are loser clubs. That is not us. We have played in 64 finals since the Eagles joined the comp in 1987, over 20 more than any other Vic club.
Would never want us to trade the philosophy we have for that one. Don't recall saying that without Scott we'd fall in a heap, I merely think the Scott Out view is non-credible.

Kardinia Park softens any landing we have, and has contributed to our prolonged period of not being the easy beats in the bottom 2-4 clubs.
1986 was our last season bottom 4. 1976 the last time we were bottom 2. 1988 the last time we sacked a coach.

Clubs who rebuild. Fail. Rebuild. Fail. Rebuild and see little finals actions for 10-20 years are loser clubs. That is not us. We have played in 64 finals since the Eagles joined the comp in 1987, over 20 more than any other Vic club.
Would never want us to trade the philosophy we have for that one. Don't recall saying that without Scott we'd fall in a heap, I merely think the Scott Out view is non-credible.

Kardinia Park softens any landing we have, and has contributed to our prolonged period of not being the easy beats in the bottom 2-4 clubs.
1986 was our last season bottom 4. 1976 the last time we were bottom 2. 1988 the last time we sacked a coach.

We had a 44 year drought. We went 22 years in between Grand finals. The present tense "that is not us", it was once. Every club has their down periods.

Who exactly are the loser clubs anyway? Melbourne? Richmond?

We had a 44 year drought. We went 22 years in between Grand finals. The present tense "that is not us", it was once. Every club has their down periods.

Who exactly are the loser clubs anyway? Melbourne? Richmond?
Charlie Day Reaction GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back