Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong. He had the best talent. We just hadn’t employed the right game plan the year before. Which the players have admitted was due to their fault.

Plus even ignoring the fact the game plan needEd to be rejigged we were still probably the equal of any team. Lot of luck goes into winning flags as well. We don’t get Mooney dubious push in the back call in the qualifying final we probably win the flag comfortably.

...so what you're saying is we employed the wrong game plan in 2010 under Thompson and the right game plan in 2011 under Scott?

I wonder who deserves more credit for their handling of the players they had on their disposal post-2009 based on that assessment? 🤔

Yes Pies. She mentioned twice now. Would be a strange move imo. CS to leave geelong to Pies in their current state

If you're CS and you've got until the end of 22 as a contract and I think we'd agree he is no better than 50/50 to get an extension - then you've got Collingwood coming along saying they'll give you 3-5 years... financially, fairly smart thing for him to do for himself.

...so what you're saying is we employed the wrong game plan in 2010 under Thompson and the right game plan in 2011 under Scott?

I wonder who deserves more credit for their handling of the players they had on their disposal post-2009 based on that assessment? 🤔

I personally think that Sanderson and McCartney don't get enough credit for 2011...

Wrong. He had the best talent. We just hadn’t employed the right game plan the year before. Which the players have admitted was due to their fault.

Plus even ignoring the fact the game plan needEd to be rejigged we were still probably the equal of any team. Lot of luck goes into winning flags as well. We don’t get Mooney dubious push in the back call in the qualifying final we probably win the flag comfortably.

Oh ok so when the players say that something was their fault we listen to the players.

when a peripheral AFL nobody and Geelong non-entity like multiple all Australian Steve Johnson pins the success of 2011 on the coach the players are suddenly wrong

using your frankly dumb logic, 2005-06 we were ‘the best team’ because we had basically the same squad we had in 2007.

most talent equals best team after all

He also has more finals loses over the last 9 years then any other coach in the history of the game
The only way this is achieved is if you finish top 4 nearly every year.

The reason he has this record is because he has produced very good teams year after year.

By your standards, Teague is a genius coach, he has never lost a final. We should recruit Mark Neeld, another coach who has never lost a final.

Superdrafts undoubtedly helped-
1999 Ling, Chappy, Corey, Boris,
2001 Bartel, Kelly, SJ, GAJ,
And nabbing Mooney and Ottens
And some handy F-S's.
Not being near the finals did have some advantages back then.

Pretty much this nails the success in a short summary. Id say half the coaches in the AFL would have done similar if not better than he did.

Please go to Collingwood.

please go to Collingwood.

and take blicavs with you ffs.

I'm still going the more likely option is the board to extend Scott's contract at Geelong

Also wouldn't be surprised if Blicavs is the next captain, especially if Selwood goes on for another year and they want a short term option before the next long term captain

Style of play, Style of Geelong players, approach to building a team.

these things are important for many Geelong supporters. It’s what made many of them adopt Geelong as a team or follow them more passionately then they otherwise would.
I 'member back in nineteen tickety two...ahh, the good old days.

But, a lot of things have changed since then. We got the horse drawn cart, and moving pictures, and now we live in a world where every child can own a fidget spinner. Unfortunately, we got free agency, compromised drafts and Covid too. So something had to change - either our win loss record, our football strategy, or our fan's expectations.

Yes it does shift. But Geelong has always historically been on the more attacking fast ball movement side of that shift.

until Scott.
Rankings for points scored under Scott by season:
2020 1st
2019 2nd
2018 4th
2017 4th
2016 3rd
2015 12th
2014 6th
2013 2nd
2012 7th
2011 2nd

So only 3x outside of the top 5 scoring teams (and only 1x out of the top 10) in his tenure so far. We might not be moving the ball as fast as you like but it isn't stopping our scoring in comparison to our peers.

Not only that, our attack has performed more consistently than our defence in that same period, which implies our game needed to improve defensively (which it has over the last six seasons).

I just don't understand what you don't like about having extra tactics added above just fast attacking football - especially when they are so effective?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2020 1st
2019 2nd
2018 4th
2017 4th
2016 3rd
2015 12th
2014 6th
2013 2nd
2012 7th
2011 2nd

So only 3x outside of the top 5 scoring teams (and only 1x out of the top 10) in his tenure so far. We might not be moving the ball as fast as you like but it isn't stopping our scoring in comparison to our peers.

Not only that, our attack has performed more consistently than our defence in that same period, which implies our game needed to improve defensively (which it has over the last six seasons).

I just don't understand what you don't like about having extra tactics added above just fast attacking football - especially when they are so effective?

His reluctance to embrace fact probably says more about his personal biases than it does about his actual interpretation and analysis of the game

No, they think it is QUICKER to not build from the ground up. If you’re already half way up a staircase is it quicker to just try and climb the remaining steps or go back and start again?

how can anyone say ‘Scott isn’t as good at developing and building his own team from the ground up’ when he’s never had the opportunity?
It would be interesting to see the relative player turnover during their time coaching between Thompson and Scott. Whether you are building from the ground up or topping up, you still need to develop players and build teams.

It's pretty grating though when people point to every metric of success except the one that matters? Nobody is questioning Scott's ability to win home and away games, or to generate AA players. They're questioning his ability to win flags.
I can gladly put this to rest for them. He is a flag winning coach. There is absolutely no doubt he has the proven ability to win them.

2020 1st
2019 2nd
2018 4th
2017 4th
2016 3rd
2015 12th
2014 6th
2013 2nd
2012 7th
2011 2nd

So why are you confusing style of play with score? Plus top four teams finishing 4th in scores doesnt suggest as much as you think it does.

scott is open about his defensive game plan. every commentator on the planet talks about it. As does every non Geelong supporter.

and you want to try and argue against it?

some people just don’t live in reality hey.

The only way this is achieved is if you finish top 4 nearly every year.

The reason he has this record is because he has produced very good teams year after year.

By your standards, Teague is a genius coach, he has never lost a final. We should recruit Mark Neeld, another coach who has never lost a final.
Every decades there is is 2-3 or so teams that play finals most years. For the past 120 years. geelongs finals records is so far the worst we are the don bradman of losing finals.

and your last comment is just idiotic. I didn’t say Scott was the worst coach of all time because of his finals losing record. I didn’t say finals records is the sole determinant of a coaches ability. thats just something you made up yourself.

So why are you confusing style of play with score? Plus top four teams finishing 4th in scores doesnt suggest as much as you think it does.

scott is open about his defensive game plan. every commentator on the planet talks about it. As does every non Geelong supporter.

yes, one person in particular

I'm not. I'm contrasting your style with Scott's substance.

Had a look at Port’s Hinkley thread over the weekend (post game v us) and there is a lot of Scott envy. Even the Richmond opposition thread includes some praise for how Scott is coaching us this year (if you can get past the ‘hilarious’ GeeLOL references).

If CS is not the best coach in the league, he is extremely close. I’m so glad he’s ours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back