Analysis Clarko in 2019 “We’re a middle of the road team”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently Melbourne is the poster child for ‘rebuilds’

the media was giving them huge whacks just last year.

rebuild 101 is to ignore the twitterers. All they have ever achieved is getting paid for trolling which we do for free
that "rebuild" going well with acquisitions like:

Lever
May
Tomlinson
Brown
Langdon

If I'm honest about that competitiveness, I have to say we were competitive because we kept the game defensively locked down for large parts. But we've only been able to create scoreboard pressure a couple times and that was against teams that struggle like us - Essendon and Adelaide. I would characterise our play as able to limit bleeding but we're not able to threaten, so top teams know they can weather the storm and not panic. But the effort collapse of the last two weeks (reminiscent of the hub performance last year) indicates to me that the players can't sustain the effort for top-level play with an "at least we didn't get slaughtered" attitude.
Let's be honest, rocking up every weekend to play our current game style to try and limit our losses by under 5 goals will have an accumulative psychological effect on the players as the season wears on.

By playing our current game style we are in effect conceding the game before it starts (to a greater or lesser extent) which is not great for team morale.

Let's be honest, rocking up every weekend to play our current game style to try and limit our losses by under 5 goals will have an accumulative psychological effect on the players as the season wears on.

By playing our current game style we are in effect conceding the game before it starts (to a greater or lesser extent) which is not great for team morale.
Releasing the shackles and losing by 100 might not have good positive energy about it either.

Competitive in finals.
What everyone seems to forget is that histroy will tell us that in 2005 we had 6 geenrational players.
Crawford, Hodge, Mitchell, Franklin, Roughead and Lewis.
Then add a bold, revolutionary game plan and the holy grail was achieved far quicket than anticipated.

We would be lucky to have 1, maybe 2 on the list at the moment.
Expecting a quick turn around like we have seen in recent times is a little optimistic.

quite a lot of observers see 2005 game style very similar to now. In the wash up of 2008 only 7 post 2004 players took part in the premiership

bottom 6 in 2008 would be croad, Gilham ladson Renouf Campbell, Osborne. Beyond that the cupboard really was bare.
Right now could be such as O’Brien morrison frost hanrahan etc, those mid age players. Personally I think the depth aspect is going OK, it’s the stocks of quality which still need boosting.

Last edited:
I see Whately (and most other media) again querying when Hawthorn will start the rebuild.

Amazing lack of insight. We started a while back if they look at our trade periods, and even more evident looking at the sides we're fielding.
He was fishing to get callers in . Does it every week to a few teams supporter bases.

Collingwood won , people are bored talking about North so we are the 'flavour' of the week .

This week's video recap of last round by Lloyd and Barret on AFL.com is titled "the team that is impossible to watch"

No prizes for guessing who they are referring to!

The losing I can handle, it's all part of the AFLs equalisation policies in action, but the game style we are currently playing...... its, its, well it is just depressing actually 😢
And they are right.

If i wasn't a Hawks supporter i wouldn't watch us would you?

Releasing the shackles and losing by 100 might not have good positive energy about it either.
We release the shackles and we might get smacked by 100 but conversely it might click and we end up winning by (maybe not by 100) but a significant amount.

We play our current style and the best we can hope for is a dour spectacle and a possible 1 to 2 goal win (more likely a 3 to 6 goal loss)

I'd much rather be following the Blues right now as at least they give their supporters an entertaining, high scoring spectacle.

We release the shackles and we might get smacked by 100 but conversely it might click and we end up winning by (maybe not by 100) but a significant amount.

We play our current style and the best we can hope for is a dour spectacle and a possible 1 to 2 goal win (more likely a 3 to 6 goal loss)

I'd much rather be following the Blues right now as at least they give their supporters an entertaining, high scoring spectacle.
They're 5-7 years into their rebuild, we are not. Apples and oranges.

I think Blues fans want to be winning now, regardless of styles

He was fishing to get callers in . Does it every week to a few teams supporter bases.

Collingwood won , people are bored talking about North so we are the 'flavour' of the week .
All the experts said we were bottom 4, some even said wooden spoon.

We've had injuries and are now 17th. I'm not sure why we're a story here.

We are back to we were in the 90’s with Day being Crawford.
Agree. This is more late 90s than early 00s. We don’t have that high level talent coming through, that’s the big issue. We are pretty much starting now, or at least from the end of last year. There are holes everywhere.

I don’t disagree with anything Jordan Lewis said. It’s hard to find positives looking at this list. CJ and Kosi about it for this year. Day last year. We are paying heavily for bad decisions and will do so for a few years yet. We can’t afford more mistakes or this can easily become a decade without a finals win. We will be 6 years soon and I couldn’t predict a finals win in the next 2 years with anything more than blind hope

I've accepted it's going to be 4-5 years before we may become a decent finals team again, I just hope we nail the the next few drafts and off seasons so it doesn't take longer. I'll still continue to turn up every week and watch despite the fact I know i'll have to sit through another 30 or so games like the last 2 in next 4-5 seasons.

The game goes past a lot of coaches and that's how they end up overstaying their welcome. Has it gone past Clarko? From what I hear and what I see, I honestly don't think so. The guy is still the most educated and learned football brain in the industry, and I'd trust him over just about any other coach in the league with a half decent list.

Our issues are we don't have a great list. And Clarko is surely responsible in part for that, but we are paying for an ambitious list strategy from 15-19 that just didn't work off, and a few other circumstantial things.

Does Clarko have the patience to see this through and the ability to approach our list problems with an unsentimental, fresh approach? I think that's the question that a lot of supporters ultimately are asking themselves, but I'm certainly one leaning towards - yes.

Sums up my position too. 15-19 we had a core of senior players that we knew could deliver on Grand Final day. The club had a crack at more silverware with an ambitious list strategy as you say. Various things occurred to conspire against that. Some bungled recruiting choices (Vickery), Rioli leaving early, rumoured AFL interference in our pursuit of free agents, some untimely ACL's and a broken leg to a Brownlow medallist.

Clarko needs support and the club needs to roll it's sleeves up and knuckle down for the next few years. This needs be the message to supporters. It does not mean giving up on the season but striving to find continual improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we completely bottom out and stick solely to the draft, we're guaranteed to win flags aren't we?

Worked out well for Carlton.

can a club hold the line for 9 years it might take (although it would be seven if we count 2020-21). That’s why some clubsgo into rebuild purgatory. Even Richmond almost cleaned out in 2016-7

north have won less, but some are rating their ‘youth’ higher. So can results be the indicator?
if the list "is not playing to potential", i don't think you can then bring youth into the equation. That's a reference to your experienced players. I think North's list is just as bad as ours.

can a club hold the line for 9 years it might take (although it would be seven if we count 2020-21). That’s why some clubsgo into rebuild purgatory. Even Richmond almost cleaned out in 2016-7
I'm happy we've pivoted to the draft, its the way out of this mess. But it isn't guaranteed success.

We just played a game with a FF and CHF with a combined total of 9 games.

How do you watch that and then say Hawthorn have not started their rebuild?
Not sure a pick in the 50’s and a pick in the 70’s is a good base to begin a rebuild

Not sure a pick in the 50’s and a pick in the 70’s is a good base to begin a rebuild
So the kids you play have to from a specific draft pick range in order to be considered as KID?

I'm happy we've pivoted to the draft, its the way out of this mess. But it isn't guaranteed success.

We've not really done that yet have we? One year as a data point concerns me and Clarko has not ruled out grabbing a more experienced state league player with our mid year pick. Fingers crossed no-one over 22 years old.

We've not really done that yet have we? One year as a data point concerns me and Clarko has not ruled out grabbing a more experienced state league player with our mid year pick. Fingers crossed no-one over 22 years old.
So we would have missed out on Tim Kelly with this thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back