Clarkson 2.0 Vs Lyon 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh the rejection! - one who is embroiled in god knows what & the other who is too far up himself to go through a hiring process!

We dodged a bullet in both cases.
The process he is going through is almost identical to Scott. You interviewed heaps of people then Scott puts his hand up does one interview and then got the job. This obsession with process is really strange it seems almost insulting to interview people that have no chance of actually getting the job.

Oh the rejection! - one who is embroiled in god knows what & the other who is too far up himself to go through a hiring process!

If you listen to what Ross Lyon said, he was talking about how he thought essendon didnt have a cohesive front office and didn't want to go through fixing it. Not that he didn't want to go through the process, more about not wanting to go to a rabble of a club.

The only way you can close in on success with Lyon is if you have a reliable forward line that can function on its own. Pav & Riewoldt were captains on top of being elite level forwards so that certainly helped. It'll be interesting to see if Max King receives a leadership responsibility of some kind under Ross.

His defence first mindset means that the forward line needs to perform well in isolation, and entrust their own formation more than the quality of the delivery they receive. Only Ken Hinkley coaches worse forward conversion than Ross Lyon.

Unfortunately for the Saints, their forward line relies a bit too much on too few, and some of those few (E.g Butler & Higgins) pick and choose when they actually feel like playing AFL, so inconsistency on top of general inaccuracy makes it look slightly nightmarish on paper.

It's a very different Saints team compared to the one he abandoned.

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with you.

Right now in 2022 I’d prefer Brad Scott who took an average team to two prelims over a 4x premiership winning racist and a 3x (4x) grand final loser that has issues with women.

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with you.

Right now in 2022 I’d prefer Brad Scott who took an average team to two prelims over a 4x premiership winning racist and a 3x (4x) grand final loser that has issues with women.

It's probably the GF euphoria still clouding your judgement;)

But seriously, while Brad may well not be the answer, I genuinely believe we are better off without either of the other 2. I never wanted either at any point & plenty of others (correctly) feel the same way.

It's probably the GF euphoria still clouding your judgement;)

But seriously, while Brad may well not be the answer, I genuinely believe we are better off without either of the other 2. I never wanted either at any point & plenty of others (correctly) feel the same way.
No euphoria and as much as I liked to rag on Brad Scott during his time at NM the facts now show he did better than most others wouldve at North. If he was coaching St Kilda he would’ve taken their average list to finals this year based off the first half of the season.

Worst case scenario he’s another Ken Hinkley. Essendon is a bigger club than North and can actually attract players. You’ll eventually win your first final in years under Brad Scott unless you sack him quickly like the previous guy.

Both were such good coaches their former clubs paid them $1m to not coach for a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both were such good coaches their former clubs paid them $1m to not coach for a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You genuinely think Lyon is no good? The only coach to ever get you to a grand final. Which you probably should have won if not for the wastefulness of the players.

It will be extremely interesting watching Ross in 2023. He mentioned leg speed and the Saints game plan ... already a bit of a change there versus his old MO. There was certainly a sense of restraint and self suffocation about the Saints in 22. Would be good to see them let it all hang out, more carefree.

And kick straight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be extremely interesting watching Ross in 2023. He mentioned leg speed and the Saints game plan ... already a bit of a change there versus his old MO. There was certainly a sense of restraint and self suffocation about the Saints in 22. Would be good to see them let it all hang out, more carefree.

And kick straight.
There is literally zero chance that a Lyon coached team will be 'carefree' in any way.

Ross Lyon 3.0 is the same person as 2.0

I’d back in either Hardwick, Goodwin or C Scott to get 5 premierships as coach before Saints win another flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back