NO TROLLS Clarkson signs on as new North Melbourne coach - No Trolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Good post.
I have been confused by the new boss of Dons saying External Review, and whilst having not completed it, or even started it, they are going after a new coach when the current one has not been moved on. Surely if the external review is a real platform, then now is a time for doing just that. Follow the process. Do it well. Panic and knee jerk reactions are the last thing needed. The new bloke is extremely confused and his leadership is unclear.

Id also think that, while Clarko is a special coach, he is not the only game in town, there are other worthwhile people to look at.

Jordan Lewis described the process as disgraceful, and I completely agree. They either sit on their hands and let people last way too long (Dodoro) or they panic and rush decisions like this one. It's an awfully run club and if they continue to be run the way they have been run, expect another decade or two of being in the wilderness. This is amateur 80s/90s/2000s Richmond stuff. What players would be enticed by the last week's behaviour? No wonder Clarkson thinks it's better to not pick a team which a) still has a coach b) is totally divided and c) has players wistfully and openly remarking about how the club is a shambles. If Richmond doesn't beat this team by ten goals, I'll be surprised.

Just on Clarkson if he was never serious about Essendon because we came too late then why not say "no thanks" when they came calling why say you are intrested but really you wernt?

Could have easily said no to Essendon on Tuesday

He probably took the call out of politeness and then considered it for a few days and then probably realised the offer wasn't as detailed as North/GWS'. By then EFC had already imploded.

Or could be/probably was one of the biggest trolls of all time. Essendon should have never considered Clarko anyway, they did no due diligence and were effectively just trying to buy a premiership.

This is exactly what I feared.

Clarksons did brilliant things with the Hawks but his last flag was seven years ago.

What happened to them after that? They've just gotten worse and worse.

Clarksons is 54 years old, so a five year contract would mean having him at the helm until 60.

Or being on the hook to have to pay him until 60 even if things don't work out.

This has disaster written all over it but I don't expect much better from the club these days tbh.

I've been a member for almost 20 years, the club is in the worst state I have seen it since the dark days of 2007.

I'd love to be proven wrong but this Alastairs Clarksons contract could prove to be the biggest ****up since Carey and you know who.

That's if he even takes the deal, and isn't just using NMFC as leverage for a better deal elsewhere, Martin / Gaff style.

Hopefully that's what he is indeed doing, and all we end up with is egg on our face (again).

Better that than a has-been on a five year, multi million dollar deal.

4f11a116-fed3-40f8-a420-c94835b2ed12_text.gif

Clarkson hasn’t retired from coach to jump straight back into coaching as a assistant coach or worked in the media.

Working for the afl as a consultant for the bid to create a Tasmanian team. Which gave him the opportunity to see the inner workings of two massive sporting organisations in America.

He is the perfect person for north. His time at Hawthorn was a success. Sure you can say what about the last couple of years. You had another shot at a flag but it didn’t work out. Look on the bright side, you won four flags and your club was not left in shambles.

He has spent weeks with the Golden State Warriors and Green Bay Parker’s. Speaking to their coaches and elite players. Understanding their mindsets and what they do to prepare to perform at their best. Wouldn’t be surprised if north use these connections in the pre season.

I can imagine he is feeling energised and motivated. Equiped new training, strategies, game plan ideas. Most importantly new ways to create a successful, professional and winning culture/club.

Clarkson is a four time premiership coach. He also seem like the type of person who would try again unless he thought he could win a flag.

They obviously don’t have the cattle right now, but they won’t struggle to get it after Clarkson appointment. The current players will buy in from the get go.

I would be excited no pessimistic.

Arrogant Bombers posters seem to have gone missing from this thread.

Lol at them.

That's because no one cares. The last 12 premierships have all been won by clubs who had coaches who were in their first appointment. Your club being one of them.

In fact, 18 of the last 19 premierships have been won by coaches who were in their first appointment.

Good luck to North, but seriously, who cares? They're just coaches. Norm Smith was the VFL/AFL coach of the century based on his coaching career at the Demons, yet coached the Swans to a wooden spoon.

Blight at St.Kilda, Roos at Melbourne, Malthouse and Pagan at Carlton, Worsfold and Thompson at Essendon. All premiership coaches.

These things almost universally fail

As long as there's no "Can move North to Tassie now that Clarko's there" agenda behind it, then this is great for the Roos. Reckon they can play finals in 24.
Clarko spoke at length about how a big factor in his choice was the strong roots we've put down in Arden St. by building our community outreach program and working with the state government on the redevelopment of the Arden precinct. In his words, we're stronger off the field than we've ever been. Doesn't sound like a guy who has designs on moving the club to Tasmania.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's because no one cares. The last 12 premierships have all been won by clubs who had coaches who were in their first appointment. Your club being one of them.

In fact, 18 of the last 19 premierships have been won by coaches who were in their first appointment.

Good luck to North, but seriously, who cares? They're just coaches. Norm Smith was the VFL/AFL coach of the century based on his coaching career at the Demons, yet coached the Swans to a wooden spoon.

Blight at St.Kilda, Roos at Melbourne, Malthouse and Pagan at Carlton, Worsfold and Thompson at Essendon. All premiership coaches.

These things almost universally fail
LOL I bet you'd say the total opposite if Clarko picked the rabble at tulla

Not sure why North suddenly have the image of nice guys.

They sacked Noble, knowing full well the stage of development the club is at and the list is at. They obviously saw that Clarkson would be available in the near future and moved Noble on early enough that they didn't pull a Rutten themselves.

Kudos for timing it right and I think Sonja Hood has done a great job with Clarkson, my own club did it the wrong way in 2013 with Voss/Roos but North aren't the good guys here.

I don't personally think Clarkson will be the saviour though, 100% it'll end up being a Roos/Goodwin scenario in a few years, which would still be amazing for North though. Their list timeline just doesn't work with Clarkson IMO.
Theyre not the good guys but they look like choir boys compared to how Rutten was hung out to dry.

As for whether it'll work, his last flag was 7 years ago and his last few years at the Hawks he looked cooked from a pure coaching standpoint. Malthouse and Lyon had been in a grand final 12 months before Carlton and Freo knifed their coaches and hired them.

I agree re him having a Paul Roos role although the comparison is funny given the shoddy "consultant" job he did for them.

LOL I bet you'd say the total opposite if Clarko picked the rabble at tulla

Nah, I've said all along that that coaches in their first appointment are the ones who have won 18 of the last 19 premierships.

Clarkson will be almost 60 when his contract expires.

Think about that and think about the litany of false prophets that supporters think will be a savior of their club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back