News Colin Carter and Geelong's "ugly" fans

Remove this Banner Ad

You know what I would have liked to hear?
"We received some emotional letters over the last few days, we understand the fans are hurting, we all are, and we love the passion. That's the best thing about our fans, they are so passionate and emotionally invested. We are all bitterly disappointed and all I can say is we will do everything we can to better ourselves as a team and a club".
Simples.
Alienating your fans by putting the blame on them is so ignorant and arrogant I can't believe he'd say such a thing.
I actually think the club gets most stuff right. However, I’m a little concerned that they are dismissing the supporter’s grievances as a ‘loud minority’. I’d assume pretty well everyone in the comp thought the no ruckman against the pies, and Blicavs on the wing against richmond, were the wrong calls. So that’s a majority who were rightly bemused by those significant decisions. Exceeding expectations this year is great but it doesn’t mean you get no scrutiny. As long as we keep it civil!

Last edited:
Put yourself in her shoes though.
3 kids pre-school age. Twins. One has autism.

Thousands of Km's away from family.
I'm more surprised she didn't snap more often or earlier than she did.

I gave her a pass for all that.
My shoes aren't too dissimilar to hers. Snapping, yes, we've done that a bit, but in private (not that in my case the public would care). Publicly bagging your famous spouse's employer on social media when they have done a hell of a lot for the family probably wasn't smart, definitely wasn't warranted, and was very poorly thought through.

They've learnt from it though, and it stopped pretty quickly last year, but I don't blame people for taking her comments at the time badly.

It seems to be the running theme from the club the last few years with attacking the support base after a final loss..I don’t see the point and don’t condone sending abusive email/letters/twitter to the club or players

But is calling out the support base with the undertones of being entitled or baffled by any backlash is a good way of handling criticism?

I honestly think the club needs a long look at itself with how it communicates to the fans far too often it’s Colin attacking them.

You can see this play out verbatim on here at times. People get very weird at Chris Scott for having his own thoughts and opinions on a pretty regular basis.
I read that more in an Emperor's New Clothes styled "only smart people can understand why Chris Scott does the things he does, and if you can't understand it you mustn't be very smart. You don't want people to think you're dumb, do you? No, you're too smart for that" type mental gymnastics that morons are only too willing to fall for.

Writing on the wall in 2011.
If he wants 100,000 members best they change their strategies of how they communicate to the fans because they are thought and treated as nothing more than an ATM at the moment.

I read that more in an Emperor's New Clothes styled "only smart people can understand why Chris Scott does the things he does, and if you can't understand it you mustn't be very smart. You don't want people to think you're dumb, do you? No, you're too smart for that" type mental gymnastics that morons are only too willing to fall for.

It's not the catch-all to explain away all criticism he gets (and there is an amount of reasonable criticism), but it definitely happens. The way some people get bent out of shape from minor parts of press conferences blown out of proportion can be a pretty grim reflection of the supporter base at times.

Fans are entitled to complain.
Even the media are saying the coach made obvious errors.
Everybody could see it.

Are we now being censored?

The censorship/free speech card is so commonly misused. You’re free to say what you want, but if you’re blatantly wrong, or if what you say is abusive, then expect to be called out on it. Absolutely nothing to do with censorship, you need to read up.

It's not the catch-all to explain away all criticism he gets (and there is an amount of reasonable criticism), but it definitely happens. The way some people get bent out of shape from minor parts of press conferences blown out of proportion can be a pretty grim reflection of the supporter base at times.
Reminds me of some minor YouTube e-celeb.

5 million followers, 500k+ views per video, $12,000USD a month patreon income, 1,000's of likes and positive comments daily...spends every 5th video complaining about a handful of mean tweets.

He sort of did this.
Stated in 2 or 3 separate passages that they will being doing things, and making changes to try and better themselves.
He just didn't indulge in the smoke up fans arse like the first part.

What you say is emotionally invested may come across as insulting and abusive to the club.
I see what people on here with aliases instead of names write about this club and its players. I certainly believe there'd be a small few who'd cross the line with their correspondence with the club.

Hell, one bloke on here is on board ban for threatening to stab a fellow user for calling him out for wishing injury on Cam Guthrie.
We have sewer rats among our fan base and I for one am glad for the president to condemn them and call them out for what they are.

Brendon Gale did similar at Richmond a few years back. The year they were shot then stormed back to scrape into finals he received abusive messages from fans, and when one fan cut up his membership and abused the club, players, coaches and board in a letter to Gale he kept it. Then late in the year when that member wanted a new membership card for finals... Gale sent him back the cut up membership.

Abusive behaviour towards the club should be called out and I say well done to Mr Carter for shedding a light on the s**t he, and many others at the club put up with. Think of the poor girl/guy first year out of Uni that probably has to handle a club social media account. The s**t they'd cop from crazed malcontents.

fu** em.

After reading what you wrote I tend to agree with him.
I don't like how they call it a successful year but that's a small point of difference.

Re: BORIS332 my reaction wasn't so much to the result, but what seemed a very poor reaction to emotional fans. It seemed like a detachment of how the fans are reacting, which to me has alarm bells ringing. But I also may have missed the mark.

Fans are entitled to complain.
Even the media are saying the coach made obvious errors.
Everybody could see it.

Are we now being censored?
If you can’t make your point(s) without being abusive, then I’d suggest you certainly won’t last long here and, to be honest, anywhere.
You can be frustrated and pissed off and still get your point across without being rude and disrespectful. That’s not censorship. Manners perhaps..but not censorship.

Go Catters

I'm not one to send any kind of mail, be it paper, email or social media, but Carter seems so far detached from reality and entirely in his own little bubble.
Honestly we need a new board and admin. They have no grasp on what's actually going on.

The very first person I saw on the train on Friday night - Richmond fan - did two things:

1. Offered condolences, bad luck for tonight etc. All good stuff.
2. Asked immediately - without any prompting at all - what's it like having Scott as a coach, and when did Geelong as a club turn into such sooks.

Two other Geelong fans around me started laughing as soon as he said it. The impression I got was the discontent is way more widespread that he thinks.

Okay, so I am sure he is right. Like all Presidents, he receives ugly letters. What confuses me is

(a) He's using this as a response to Friday night
(b) He seemingly thinks it is a further insult / shock that people are using their real names
(c) He repeatedly during the interview on 3AW claimed that he didn't accept any of the criticism and emphasised that the coaching staff were not subject to any overview in terms of strategy (as opposed to whether they are coordinated and communicating, which he took responsibility for) ... "100 to zip view about whether they're right "
(d) Even from a strategic point of view, is calling out your own fans the best idea?

It worked for Hillary Clinton, I'm sure it will work for him too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The very first person I saw on the train on Friday night - Richmond fan - did two things:

2. Asked immediately - without any prompting at all - what's it like having Scott as a coach, and when did Geelong as a club turn into such sooks.

Two other Geelong fans around me started laughing as soon as he said it. The impression I got was the discontent is way more widespread that he thinks.
Lol- maybe you all take it a bit seriously. Scott is entertaining and he can coach. He has to lift his game regarding some of his mad moments in selection and his sore loser vibe in press conferences, otherwise he’s ok. Just needs someone sensible telling him when to pull his head in and when to ‘man up’.
I chatted to tiger fans on the train coming home too- nobody mentioned Scott!

What you say is emotionally invested may come across as insulting and abusive to the club.
I see what people on here with aliases instead of names write about this club and its players. I certainly believe there'd be a small few who'd cross the line with their correspondence with the club.

Hell, one bloke on here is on board ban for threatening to stab a fellow user for calling him out for wishing injury on Cam Guthrie.
We have sewer rats among our fan base and I for one am glad for the president to condemn them and call them out for what they are.

You should know. You're one of them. You're easily one of the most abusive posters on here. You absolutely approve of it when it's against those who criticise the club as evidenced immediately above. You're only outraged - or pretend to be outraged - when it comes back.

If Carter offered some examples then fair enough. Especially if it got personal. But criticising Scott's performance as coach or anyone else is part of the job.

Lol- maybe you all take it a bit seriously. Scott is entertaining and he can coach. He has to lift his game regarding some of his mad moments in selection and his sore loser vibe in press conferences, otherwise he’s ok. Just needs someone sensible telling him when to pull his head in and when to ‘man up’.
Barely anyone on my train chatted at all.
The discontent was the silence, other than that there seems nary any evidence its more than just a vocal minority.

Lol I never said I did. Was a pretty entertaining trip.

Well-balanced post.

Personal abuse of Chris Scott and co is absolutely not on.

Unfortunately for them though, they are not above criticism and critique.

It's evidently a tough, very public gig, but Chris Scott knew this when he signed on.

If he and others at the club are no longer coping with the criticism etc then perhaps they should be weighing up whether it is still a vocation worth pursuing.

Your post is a bit all over the shop. Personal abuse is not on, but if they don't like it then move on?

Personal abuse is not on period, and the clowns that do abuse should be outed/hounded out by the rest of the supporters for doing so. Criticism is fine .. but this is personal, abusive and totally not on and it should NOT be allowed to affect someones ability to do their job.

We can hear the noise of back slapping behind their closed doors from here. A real boys club going on it seems.

Carter is surprised?

Well guess what Mr Carter, passionate supporters are the reason for this Club's existence, and its financial life blood.

You, Scott, Cook & Co are only there to caretake the club on our behalf, and we're beginning to think you're stinking it up.

So pull your heads out of each others glass, man up, grow a set, stop treating us like idiots and get to bloody work.

Rant over 😊

By all means continue, that's an impressive rant.

You should know. You're one of them. You're easily one of the most abusive posters on here. You absolutely approve of it when it's against those who criticise the club as evidenced immediately above. You're only outraged - or pretend to be outraged - when it comes back.

If Carter offered some examples then fair enough. Especially if it got personal. But criticising Scott's performance as coach or anyone else is part of the job.
Aw nice to see you too.
Stay on topic thanks. This isn't about me, it's about Carter's comments.

Criticise Scott all you want. Glad to see the club pays those views absolutely no attention.
As worthless as used loo paper are most of the Scott out crowds rhetoric.

Barely anyone on my train chatted at all.
The discontent was the silence, other than that there seems nary any evidence its more than just a vocal minority.
Actually, even the tiger fans were pretty quiet. One ordinary rendition of their club song, otherwise quiet.
Geelong fans were ok- polite and resigned by the looks. The tigers win was convincing enough in the end that it was hard to feel cheesed off-not like the pies who got so close and must be hurting.
I expect most cat fans are happy enough but again, some of the stupid decisions in the finals -am sure there is widespread bafflement. The mistakes were so obvious that they can’t be brushed off as ‘minority’ views.

This is the kind of hysterical response he’s talking about. Have a look at the pre-season predictions, no one had us finishing in the top 8 and even most of our own supporters had us only scraping in to the finals. Yet we finished minor premiers and made it to a prelim by defeating the reigning premiers. We lost Duncan and Tomahawk and lost the prelim by three goals.

Take some bloody perspective please!

That's all true. But the following is also true:

1. We were sitting on top of the ladder with 11 wins and 1 loss before the bye.
2. Since the bye we've won 6 games and lost 7.
3. We defeated Collingwood at the MCG during home and away but lost to them during finals.
4. We defeated Richmond at the MCG during home and away but lost to them during finals.
5. We were absolutely without Hawkins and Duncan, even Rohan if you want to be really generous. Richmond had Graham bust his shoulder in the first quarter, and Broad knocked out in the third. Plus we were 21 points up at half time But we still lost.
6. We've finished top 4 in no less than 5 of the last 7 seasons. Have not reached one Grand Final.

Perspective goes both ways.

I dont think I would have handle #2 well... t funny that we are sooks if we dont agree with them...for years they have bothing but sooked when they are drawn to play at KP... Someone can bash you then yell at you while standing over you with fist raised.. and yells get up you sook...

Richmond fan numbers twist when they complain about something... imagine if they did schedule a final at KP.... do you think they would sook about it?

Aw nice to see you too.
Stay on topic thanks. This isn't about me, it's about Carter's comments.

Criticise Scott all you want. Glad to see the club pays those views absolutely no attention.
As worthless as used loo paper are most of the Scott out crowds rhetoric.

You're not a moderator. You don't get to tell people what to write - although I'm sure you secretly crave that power.

Almost as worthless as Scott's tactical acumen in September.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back