List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh with Adams out of contract in 2024 his cap hit isn’t a huge deal. I’m still not sold on Macrae but if he can’t make the leap in year 4 to a regular member of the team with Adams at the club or not, he’s probably not ever making it.
Yea we're right in the premiership window. Now is not the time to be pumping games into youngsters who aren't ready and provide less output than veterans. If they're good enough they should naturally displace our fringe role players or veterans who are dropping off massively. Play best available.

We're also not going to get such a good run with injuries compared to previous years so need healthy squad depth when we're challenging.

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind one of our legends retiring to free cap space and give a younger player a go. I wouldn't be too saddened to see Elliott retire or Adams seek a trade to Sydney. Would like to see us challenge again in 2024 with Macrae and Reef having break out years.
I would sat yes you're the only one.
You don't just hand out games, if the kids are good enough they will play, if they aren't then they won't. Simple

My targets would be:
  • Back up Key Defender (Murphy concussion issues)
  • Mature back up ruck
  • young up and coming winger to take over Sidebottom/WHE in time

and the obvious dream target:
-Gun Key Forward
I think you are on the money there with what we should be targeting. Regarding the first two you've listed, I think clubs really need to start looking at mature league talent in the VFL/Sanfl/WAFL, a mature aged ruck and a KPD could be identified via these leagues and won't cost the salary or trade capital a FA or traded player would.

I thought for a while there, following the success of Mihocek, Tim Kelly etc, that we would see clubs begin to target these types (particularly for the roles you mention above) more and more, but it seems to not have eventuated this way.

Lewis Young from the Blues is an interesting one. He’s contracted to 2026.

Blues seem to be running with Kemp, Weitering, McGovern & Marchbank.

Young could replace Howe or Murphy (concussion).

Yea we're right in the premiership window. Now is not the time to be pumping games into youngsters who aren't ready and provide less output than veterans. If they're good enough they should naturally displace our fringe role players or veterans who are dropping off massively. Play best available.

We're also not going to get such a good run with injuries compared to previous years so need healthy squad depth when we're challenging.
There is a happy middle ground here. What is for sure, if we are good enough to get to the GF next season there will be a different 22 running around. We still need to develop as a Club, get games into the emerging talent but we need to do it correctly. Agree with you, it’s not just about pumping games into them as you say but the only way you can get comfortable at AFL is exposure.

I’m not one for gifting games, they need to be earned. Finn won’t get much better stagnating in the Magoos, he needs opportunity, he’s shown he can produce consistently and warrants further exposure imho. Same could be said of a number of others, Reef, HH, Ryan, there are others. Looking forward also to some of the veterans getting pushed aside through natural selection.(sad as it might be)

I just think there is a balance, there may be a Bobby Hill amongst our emerging talent capable of next years Norm Smith. We need to find out if they can step up.

Dane Swan is a great example, didn’t look much early, nearly booted from the Club, we don’t win 2010 if he wasn’t part of the package, MM gave him games early. It’s an investment

All the talk of dynasties and a fantastic list surprise me. Our top end players are mostly at the end of their times. Relying on them for another year like this one seems folly to me. Our position is very similar to Geelong's last year. Another good year would be a very pleasant surprise for me: more than that would be amazing.

With little in the way of draft or trade capital, the list team will have their work cut out preventing a decline, let alone orchestrating improvement. This week has been euphoric, but it's back to square one now. Creating success for next year will be even harder than this year's task, and that was a huge one.

My approach will be to temper expectations, and hope for the best, same as every other year. We can take nothing for granted.

My targets would be:
  • Back up Key Defender (Murphy concussion issues)
  • Mature back up ruck
  • young up and coming winger to take over Sidebottom/WHE in time

and the obvious dream target:
-Gun Key Forward
Many have mentioned Haynes as a good target for a defender and I agree. If Giants foot most of his contract I’d 100% take him. Their back six is very good and very settled so he’ll find it tough to get a game.

Back up ruck will be a bit more of a tougher find. Lycett might be our best bet.

All the talk of dynasties and a fantastic list surprise me. Our top end players are mostly at the end of their times. Relying on them for another year like this one seems folly to me. Our position is very similar to Geelong's last year. Another good year would be a very pleasant surprise for me: more than that would be amazing.

With little in the way of draft or trade capital, the list team will have their work cut out preventing a decline, let alone orchestrating improvement. This week has been euphoric, but it's back to square one now. Creating success for next year will be even harder than this year's task, and that was a huge one.

My approach will be to temper expectations, and hope for the best, same as every other year. We can take nothing for granted.

I think Geelong would've been fine to make finals and push for a preliminary/grand final this year if it wasn't for injury to key players. Jack Henry, Mitch Duncan, Patrick Dangerfield in particular just didn't put together enough games of footy. They didn't have the depth to cover them, either.

This year we had injuries but fortunately we had depth as we had learned our lesson from 2022 and fixed that issue.

Geelong also lost Selwood who led from the front more often than not. We saw just last Saturday how important your skipper or ex skipper is in a high pressure environment.

We just need to hope we don't do a West Coast, which is what some said happened to Geelong early this year (before injuries probably made it too hard for them to recover). That being a mentality of trying and working so hard to get to the top of the mountain, that once you get there it's hard to go again.

We have enough players like Taylor Adams to want to get there again. We have enough elite leaders in the group to want to go one more time; Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Howe (assume no retirement).

But most of all a lot of our elite players are in their prime, which couldn't be said for Geelong. Those like JDG, Maynard, Moore etc.

The young players like Nick Daicos will be the ones pushing us up the mountain over the next few years and trying to keep us there.

Last edited:

agreed - this is the reason I was desperate for us to win this year. Another year down the track with our 30 + players and it's pretty unlikely they'd be producing the same output.

There's no reason why we will decline next year.

Pendles and Sidebottom etc maybe a year older and decline a little. On the other hand don't you think the Daicos boys, McCreery, IQ, Bobby etc have improvement in them?

Every year is another season but there's no need to temper our expectations while we're all riding the wave.

Nothing us supporters think or so makes one iota of difference except for cheering and supporting on game day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many have mentioned Haynes as a good target for a defender and I agree. If Giants foot most of his contract I’d 100% take him. Their back six is very good and very settled so he’ll find it tough to get a game.

Back up ruck will be a bit more of a tougher find. Lycett might be our best bet.

Hopefully Steene is ready soon but otherwise Cox is fine as a back-up ruck with Frampton etc. pinch-hitting. Our ruck depth looked thin this year because miraculously Cox was injured at the same time.

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind one of our legends retiring to free cap space and give a younger player a go. I wouldn't be too saddened to see Elliott retire or Adams seek a trade to Sydney. Would like to see us challenge again in 2024 with Macrae and Reef having break out years.
Have mentioned this previously. Elliott just completed the most productive season of his career in terms of games and goals. He is extraordinarily important to us. None of our juniors look like being anywhere near Adams' likely level next year.

I hope you are the only one.

Said about the Cats three years ago then they won the flag in 2022.

I struggle to see the need for another ruckman. After Cox and Cameron, there is Frampton. He has shown he can capably step into the role if needed. Then there are Steene and Begg who have a year under their belts now. How many do we want on the list?

The taller backs are a problem area. Howe has a year left at most and is unlikely to be replaced by someone as good Murphy is a real worry with his concussions. Frampton is pretty different to both of these, lacking the mobility and flexibility of either, and can't be regarded ad a replacement. He would herald a change in backlinie tactics.

The forwards look OK to me. The mix of styles there is very hard for oppositions to manage, and the match up for Elliott in particular will remain a problem for them all for as long as he lasts.

The middle of the ground is the most problematic. 2 Daicos boys and DeGoey are established top level players. Sidebottom and Pendlebury have remained stars longer than their years would normally allow, and this is the area of uncertainty. You can't not try for another year from them, but relying on them to repeat this year is very optimistic. A reduced output, with some weeks of rest, particularly from Pendlebury would be my expectation. Adams and Mitchell should have another year in them, but the crushing physical burden of the inside mid position could get one or both at any time. The next crop are not now at anything like the same standard of the veterans, and as those older players start to fall away, we have to accept that their replacements will not be as good. Top midfielders, then and a flexible reasonably tall defender would be my targets for the near future.

I think Geelong would've been fine to make finals and push for a preliminary/grand final this year if it wasn't for injury to key players. Jack Henry, Mitch Duncan, Patrick Dangerfield in particular just didn't put together enough games of footy. They didn't have the depth to cover them, either.

This year we had injuries but fortunately we had depth as we had learned our lesson from 2022 and fixed that issue.

Geelong also lost Selwood who led from the front more often than not. We saw just last Saturday how important your skipper or ex skipper is in a high pressure environment.

We just need to hope we don't do a West Coast, which is what some said happened to Geelong early this year (before injuries probably made it too hard for them to recover). That being a mentality of trying and working so hard to get to the top of the mountain, that once you get there it's hard to go again.

We have enough players like Taylor Adams to want to get there again. We have enough elite leaders in the group to want to go one more time; Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Howe (assume no retirement).

But most of all a lot of our elite players are in their prime, which couldn't be said for Geelong. Those like JDG, Maynard, Moore etc.

The young players like Nick Daicos will be the ones pushing us up the mountain over the next few years and trying to keep us there.
I think JDG is finally ready to become the Superstar we have all hoped he would become. Reckon 2024 he finally arrives and have an incredible season.

Guaranteed Fly, Leppa, Wright etc are setting the club up for similar success next year.

They won't be settling for a one hit wonder with this group.

It's going to be interesting next year that's for sure. It doesn't look like we will lose anyone to retirement from our GF team, but it certainly seems the following year we'll likely lose a couple of key players, in particular Sidey and Howie I imagine.

Mcrae has been big on not gifting games to players, but perhaps with a premiership under his belt now he might be more inclined to blood a few more kids, in particular Finn, Reef, Harrison and Allen. I suspect there will be more of an emphasis on load management for some of our older players next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back