Mod. Notice Competitions: READ BEFORE POSTING A COMPETITION

Remove this Banner Ad

As in each week is a different category? Not a bad idea, it seems a corporate comp has enough support. I'll put something together and launch it once the final futbol poll is finished.
Yep, that's what I was trying to say, feel like there is enough there to get to the 10 weeks that you were looking for, although there is always the option to push it out with more obscure industries if the interest holds up and you are still enjoying putting it on. I look forward to entering if it gets up and going!

Competition proposal for your consideration:

Melbourne Suburban Football League

Format:

There is a little bit of staleness in relation to the current set of footy competitions on 2 fronts.

1) The major footy comps have been around for years. NAFL, Can Am and FIRA are fantastic, well run competitions that have become mainstays on this board. We've had a few other decent footy comps, like FFL and ANAL, however they're currently hibernating. A suburban based footy comp provides a new yet familiar, classic theme and setting. Melbourne is the obvious city to base it in as it really is the epicentre of Australian Football, and most people will know the basic lay of the land.

2) Comps get stale as they go on. Generally we know within a round or 2 who the top teams will be, and for the designers of other teams it can be difficult to maintain interest. Voting numbers fall away and we just go through the motions until finals. I know I've had that sinking feeling where I realise in round 1 that I'm out of the running, and I'm sure most others have as well.

I propose to solve that problem as follows:

Unlimited Redesigns as the season goes on.

The competition structure will be a single round robin and then finals.

Entrants will create a Melbourne based suburban football club, with an original logo.

Entrants will design 1 footy uniform, and submit it with both dark and white shorts for home and away.

The club name, nickname and colours will be locked in, however the logo, design, presentation and template can be changed as frequently as the designer desires during the season up until and including the grand final.

Got a tough game against Fancyscum coming up that could lock you into a finals place, where you think you might be a bit short? Redesign and resubmit. Upgrade your template. Design a better logo. The league remains alive until the very end because anyone could come in with a great design and turn the competition on its head.

Because of the suburban nature of the league and the ability to freely redesign, 1 guernsey will be plenty. I'll also have no guidelines or restrictions on sponsors or number fonts etc, it'll just be a league logo on the right chest. Your club can be based anywhere where they could be reasonably expected to play in a Melbourne metropolitan based football league, but cannot be named the same as an existing AFL or VFL club.

I acknowledge that this gives an advantage to people who have more time to throw designs together, but that's a price to pay to have a 'live' competition.

Format:

There is a little bit of staleness in relation to the current set of footy competitions on 2 fronts.

1) The major footy comps have been around for years. NAFL, Can Am and FIRA are fantastic, well run competitions that have become mainstays on this board. We've had a few other decent footy comps, like FFL and ANAL, however they're currently hibernating. A suburban based footy comp provides a new yet familiar, classic theme and setting. Melbourne is the obvious city to base it in as it really is the epicentre of Australian Football, and most people will know the basic lay of the land.

2) Comps get stale as they go on. Generally we know within a round or 2 who the top teams will be, and for the designers of other teams it can be difficult to maintain interest. Voting numbers fall away and we just go through the motions until finals. I know I've had that sinking feeling where I realise in round 1 that I'm out of the running, and I'm sure most others have as well.

Entrants will create a Melbourne based suburban football club, with an original logo.

Entrants will design 1 footy uniform, and submit it with both dark and white shorts for home and away.

The club name, nickname and colours will be locked in, however the logo, design, presentation and template can be changed as frequently as the designer desires during the season up until and including the grand final.

Got a tough game against Fancyscum coming up that could lock you into a finals place, where you think you might be a bit short? Redesign and resubmit. Upgrade your template. Design a better logo. The league remains alive until the very end because anyone could come in with a great design and turn the competition on its head.

Because of the suburban nature of the league and the ability to freely redesign, 1 guernsey will be plenty. I'll also have no guidelines or restrictions on sponsors or number fonts etc, it'll just be a league logo on the right chest. Your club can be based anywhere where they could be reasonably expected to play in a Melbourne metropolitan based football league, but cannot be named the same as an existing AFL or VFL club.

I acknowledge that this gives an advantage to people who have more time to throw designs together, but that's a price to pay to have a 'live' competition.
I love the idea to change on the fly!
I was really happy with my Aust Cricket Prem entry but I did run out of time and the kit design itself probably wasnt up to scratch so i would have been happy with the ability to make it better!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Format:

I really like this idea.

Format:

Would be keen to have a side in this. Although the whole live aspect has me thinking we should also bring back the heavyweight comp

we should also bring back the heavyweight comp
That one was actually really cool, easy to run and gave some pretty fun stats and consistant feedback opportunities but also interest seemed to dwindle pretty quick once the novelty wore off. Especially when the designs got a bit stagnant. I'd say you almost have to cap it at a certain number of entries and boot the oldest unedited one as needed to help keep it fresh, maybe keep it to 5 in Heavyweight and 5 in Cruiserweight.

Format:

Nice concept, reminds me of a similar one we ran where you could change designs as you rank up to heavyweight or something

Would be keen to have a side in this. Although the whole live aspect has me thinking we should also bring back the heavyweight comp
The Heavyweight comp was part of the inspiration for this one, absolutely. I just didn't want to commit to an ongoing competition which is a fair bit of upkeep with multiple threads each week for each division etc. This is like a Heavyweight comp with an end goal and a finals series.

Looks like I've got the likes for this one to go ahead, so I'll get the thread up over the next few days,

That one was actually really cool, easy to run and gave some pretty fun stats and consistant feedback opportunities but also interest seemed to dwindle pretty quick once the novelty wore off. Especially when the designs got a bit stagnant. I'd say you almost have to cap it at a certain number of entries and boot the oldest unedited one as needed to help keep it fresh, maybe keep it to 5 in Heavyweight and 5 in Cruiserweight.
Yeah I considered bringing it back but I absolutely agree with the point about interest waning after a while. This one being encapsulated in a finite league with a grand final at the end will hopefully maintain that interest level.

Once the current Melbourne-based competition has wound up in a few weeks’ time, I’d like to propose this as the next challenge for all you good folk.

Background

The AFL has decided to branch out and go international with the first step being the creation of an all-new league based in New Zealand. The competition will be made up of 10 teams only based in various cities across the two islands.

Cities

The cities where the clubs will be based are :

Auckland X 2

Wellington X 2

Dunedin

Christchurch X 2

Hamilton

Taurunga

Lower Hutt

The Challenges

Part 1 : come up with a suitable logo for the new ANZFL competition

Part 2 : pick one of the cities listed above and then create an all-new club to be based there, you will need to make a :

- club name

- club logo

- club mascot

- club playing livery (both home & away strips)

Rationale

The reason why this was chosen is that it hopefully will take you out of your comfort zone a little more. You are dealing with cities that don’t traditionally play our game plus you may have to research local traditions, myths, legends & culture to find something suitable. Hopefully it inspires you to go in directions you have not considered before.

There are no colour restrictions so the whole palette is open to you, however, seeing as NZ gets quite cold in winter, you can only design long-sleeve jumpers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once the current Melbourne-based competition has wound up in a few weeks’ time, I’d like to propose this as the next challenge for all you good folk.

Background

The AFL has decided to branch out and go international with the first step being the creation of an all-new league based in New Zealand. The competition will be made up of 10 teams only based in various cities across the two islands.

Cities

The cities where the clubs will be based are :

Auckland X 2

Wellington X 2

Dunedin

Christchurch X 2

Hamilton

Taurunga

Lower Hutt

The Challenges

Part 1 : come up with a suitable logo for the new ANZFL competition

Part 2 : pick one of the cities listed above and then create an all-new club to be based there, you will need to make a :

- club name

- club logo

- club mascot

- club playing livery (both home & away strips)

Rationale

The reason why this was chosen is that it hopefully will take you out of your comfort zone a little more. You are dealing with cities that don’t traditionally play our game plus you may have to research local traditions, myths, legends & culture to find something suitable. Hopefully it inspires you to go in directions you have not considered before.

There are no colour restrictions so the whole palette is open to you, however, seeing as NZ gets quite cold in winter, you can only design long-sleeve jumpers.

As much as it is great that you are trying to integrate into the board, I would suggest that you have a really decent look around at competitions that have run on this board. If you do you will see that we have integrated New Zealand in to a couple of competitions, including the premier competition on here the NAFL, which has had at times up to 3 New Zealand based teams.

Add to this that it would also be best for you to become a part of this board first before just randomly creating a competition for the regulars to participate in. Generally competitions get running after a person has integrated on the board and has seen how things generally flow as well as understanding the current repeating competition structures calendar (there are several competitions that run on here annually and have a roughly set time frame that they fit into, other competitions then have to try and fit in as to not overload the board with competitions and burn out the designers).

Also have a look at how competition suggestions are put together, as sure you have a fine idea (I cannot fault what you have in the post), but the actual structure of the competition is missing, and the competition seems to be limited to just 10 people, which is way too restrictive for a board that throughout history can have upwards of 4 times that number (though lately certainly not as high) and at no time really restricts people to a small number of entrants (or if they do then a second division has been added or the limit has been raised).

If this was to be a league competition, then it probably infringes on the NAFL's territory and would not be advisable due to that competitions status here. If it was to be a straight forward single design competition with just one poll for a winner, then is it really worthy of being a competition, or is it more of a portfolio idea (which I can say from seeing many failed ones generally do not go too well as people do not tend to go for forced portfolios from people instead of creating their own) and may feature too many different design elements for people to get behind.

As much as it is great that you are trying to integrate into the board, I would suggest that you have a really decent look around at competitions that have run on this board. If you do you will see that we have integrated New Zealand in to a couple of competitions, including the premier competition on here the NAFL, which has had at times up to 3 New Zealand based teams.

Add to this that it would also be best for you to become a part of this board first before just randomly creating a competition for the regulars to participate in. Generally competitions get running after a person has integrated on the board and has seen how things generally flow as well as understanding the current repeating competition structures calendar (there are several competitions that run on here annually and have a roughly set time frame that they fit into, other competitions then have to try and fit in as to not overload the board with competitions and burn out the designers).

Also have a look at how competition suggestions are put together, as sure you have a fine idea (I cannot fault what you have in the post), but the actual structure of the competition is missing, and the competition seems to be limited to just 10 people, which is way too restrictive for a board that throughout history can have upwards of 4 times that number (though lately certainly not as high) and at no time really restricts people to a small number of entrants (or if they do then a second division has been added or the limit has been raised).

If this was to be a league competition, then it probably infringes on the NAFL's territory and would not be advisable due to that competitions status here. If it was to be a straight forward single design competition with just one poll for a winner, then is it really worthy of being a competition, or is it more of a portfolio idea (which I can say from seeing many failed ones generally do not go too well as people do not tend to go for forced portfolios from people instead of creating their own) and may feature too many different design elements for people to get behind.

First point, it is not limited to just 10 people, all persons pick a city, they all might pick the one city, and then create a club from scratch design-wise. If one of the cities doesn't get picked then so be it, it's the art & designs that are the focus.

Secondly, it is a first past-the-post idea with a poll, not a portfolio of ideas.

Just spitballing here, how about a competition that involves people working in groups and designing to a particular design brief each round.
People are divided into groups, and then the brief gets released (a kit, multiple kits, a logo, advertising, etc) and as a group in a PM, the teams must come up with the results. this is then polled, and another round starts. Elimination of people and/or mixing the groups up is also an option.

Just spitballing here, how about a competition that involves people working in groups and designing to a particular design brief each round.
People are divided into groups, and then the brief gets released (a kit, multiple kits, a logo, advertising, etc) and as a group in a PM, the teams must come up with the results. this is then polled, and another round starts. Elimination of people and/or mixing the groups up is also an option.

every-group-project-does-99-of-the-work-says-hes-46160156.png

That is actually a really cool idea.
Dibs on Freight Train and fancyscum

That is actually a really cool idea.
Dibs on Freight Train and fancyscum
I'm sure everyone else will be thrilled with this! Think we had a similar idea to this in the past, based around State of Origin. Think it would be best done by putting designers of approximate abilities into pots and then drawing them all out to get even teams

Think it would be best done by putting designers of approximate abilities into pots and then drawing them all out to get even teams
Yeah I'd say that's most fair way of doing things. Some who maybe aren't as skilled in terms of execution might actually have some really good ideas to feed to the group so I think this way it would end up being the groups that can work together and bring more to the ideas table that end up winning over say a dream team of designers.

Yeah I'd say that's most fair way of doing things. Some who maybe aren't as skilled in terms of execution might actually have some really good ideas to feed to the group so I think this way it would end up being the groups that can work together and bring more to the ideas table that end up winning over say a dream team of designers.
Feel like the sharing of ideas/process could help those less experienced guys improve far quicker too, great for the board long term

Like a FJ&GD Survivor of sorts? I'm actually keen for it 😁

Remove this Banner Ad

Back