News Corey Gault (Latest - he ain't being delisted ...)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, Gualty was a bit of an enigma. I believe he had the physical tools and attributes to succeed at the top level but just never consistently performed.

Thanks for your efforts champ and hope all goes well out west!

Reminds me of Wood. Has all the attributes but just seemed to lach enough mungrel.

Considering that he was Pick #65 in the 2011 National Draft (which would have been mid-4th round in any other year, and it's really just hit and hope at that stage), and three of his five years on our list were spent as a rookie, I don't really think it was that great a mistake or really cost us a whole lot.

People can say "Ohh but we let Ceglar go", but he's an average AFL ruckman who probably wouldn't have even gotten an opportunity ahead of Grundy or Witts over the last few years. Might be a handy back-up now considering our lack of tall depth, but it's not something to cry about.

Ceglar is better then Gault.

Ceglar got a Game in the Hawks team and Gault was Struggling in the VFL

Ceglar is better then Gault.

Ceglar got a Game in the Hawks team and Gault was Struggling in the VFL

Ceglar found a system that works perfectly for him - and one in which he only really needs to just be average to do the teams job. Remember, at Hawthorn he was still pretty much 3rd choice ruck (until this year), just happened that one of those guys was aging, and Clarko likes to play 2 rucks and rotate guys a lot. No doubt it looks bad on us letting the guy walk as a rookie - but I reckon had he gone to half the teams in the league and he wouldn't have got a game.

Ceglat is more a number one ruck type. He's more comparable to witts who couldn't get a game at Collingwood and he's probably not better than him.

Not the same type of player as Gault.
Disagree with that. He's a reasonably competent forward and was playing as the second ruck with McEvoy fairly well, which is something I have difficulty seeing Witts ever do. I agree he's not the same type of player as Gault though, who was more of a forward who could chop out in the ruck rather than a second ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back