Certified Legendary Thread Corona, Jamaica ooh I wanna take ya (COVID-19 Information & Discussion Here) Part 2 "The Second Wave"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The better question is what did they actually get right?

Not much it seems, it's a monumental balls up from start and only Jesus h Christ knows when it will end, because sure as Hell Comrade Dan and his untrustworthy acolytes haven't got a clue.
750 cases a day down to below 50... sounds like they are getting it right now.

Anyone know why my dad would have to have been in SA for 28 days before he can go and see he’s endocrinologist?
He’s been in Alice Springs and can’t go for 28 days.
We have no border closure with the NT and he doesn’t have to isolate.

waiting lists or Covid related?

Reckon curfew gets a big test tonight

First warm day of the season - people legally able to picnic for two hours with someone else - 20 degrees still at 9pm

First time it would be hospitable outside at that time of night

750 cases a day down to below 50... sounds like they are getting it right now.
Belatedly... as everyone knows if they acted earlier , Victoria would already be under control & all of Australia open again.

It's been a shamozle!

Last edited:
LOL not a Labor voter, maybe not but you would have no doubt it would be for a party that's closely aligned....Just another unfunny Comedian after his minute of fame on Social Media. Amazing how everyone replying makes a point that they're not Labor voters...LOL

As opposed to your ongoing political point scoring.

Yep, your tedious. I pity your wife.

Belatedly... as everyone knows if they acted earlier , Victoria would already be under control & all of Australia open again.

It's been a shamozle!

It started with the hotel quarantine and then got worse and dragged on with privately owned aged care.

And as usual all Mutineer can come up with is a love emoji. A mental giant, he is not! 🤪🤪

I'm old enough to remember the last recession in the early nineties. I'm really worried that we are heading for something like that next year: people losing their jobs, their houses, their relationships. There'll be people turning to drugs and alcohol, there'll be domestic violence, there'll be suicides.

But in Victoria this is so politicised that if you say: gee do we really need stage 3 lockdown in regional council areas where there have never been any cases at all, you have sanctimonious twits like Mr Larsen trying to strawman it into "are we for, or against, killing grannies."

As for his "I'm not even a Labor voter" - my tip, ain't a Liberal voter.

Yes, my State Government is cleaning up the mess. It's a mess that every other State or Government avoided. It's a mess that was caused by treating the quarantine as a logistics exercise rather than a health emergency, by *removing* the CMO from his planned role as State Controller, by employing security guards who had religious objections to using hand sanitisers, by issuing incorrect PPE guidance to the security firms, by having the most underfunded pandemic response function in the country, by giving incorrect advice to those undergoing tests, by only having essential health information in English, and by having stay at home restrictions which allowed 25% of COVID positives to leave their houses.

I'm old enough to remember the last recession in the early nineties. I'm really worried that we are heading for something like that next year: people losing their jobs, their houses, their relationships. There'll be people turning to drugs and alcohol, there'll be domestic violence, there'll be suicides.

But in Victoria this is so politicised that if you say: gee do we really need stage 3 lockdown in regional council areas where there have never been any cases at all, you have sanctimonious twits like Mr Larsen trying to strawman it into "are we for, or against, killing grannies."

As for his "I'm not even a Labor voter" - my tip, ain't a Liberal voter.

Yes, my State Government is cleaning up the mess. It's a mess that every other State or Government avoided. It's a mess that was caused by treating the quarantine as a logistics exercise rather than a health emergency, by *removing* the CMO from his planned role as State Controller, by employing security guards who had religious objections to using hand sanitisers, by issuing incorrect PPE guidance to the security firms, by having the most underfunded pandemic response function in the country, by giving incorrect advice to those undergoing tests, by only having essential health information in English, by having stay at home restrictions which allowed 25% of COVID positives to leave their houses.

I’m old enough to remember the 1982 recession and the 1990 recession. Both were bad and given I don’t think the current generation have little resilience (in my opinion) we will have issues next year.

As I said way back in February this was first and foremost a health issue however some politicians didn’t see it that way and even in April/May we still had politicians wanting our economies to be opened up. Look at what is happening in Europe now and trust me, the USA will go thru another wave. If people don’t think the governments have this under control, they will keep their hands in their pockets. It is a fine line between a economy growing and not growing.

I’m old enough to remember the 1982 recession and the 1990 recession. Both were bad and given I don’t think the current generation have little resilience (in my opinion) we will have issues next year.

As I said way back in February this was first and foremost a health issue however some politicians didn’t see it that way and even in April/May we still had politicians wanting our economies to be opened up. Look at what is happening in Europe now and trust me, the USA will go thru another wave. If people don’t think the governments have this under control, they will keep their hands in their pockets. It is a fine line between a economy growing and not growing.

Yep. All I am saying is that we need to be able to have a reasonable conversation about not closing down more, or longer, than we need to. Unfortunately, every single one of our State Premiers is using it as an opportunity to showboat on being "tough on the virus."

Yep. All I am saying is that we need to be able to have a reasonable conversation about not closing down more, or longer, than we need to. Unfortunately, every single one of our State Premiers is using it as an opportunity to showboat on being "tough on the virus."

We should be ok once Vic has this under control provided our international borders remain closed to those countries who have Covid-19 out of control (USA, India, South America and possibly countries in Europe) and implement compulsory quarantine on return.

Our domestic economy can work without international tourists (exc NZ, Pacific nations and selected Asian countries) for the time being.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the SA and NT premiers have been reasonable, Marshall opened up to WA, NT and Queensland very early on.

Victoria hard closure (very reasonable)
NSW open but must quarantine at home (maybe a bit over the top with their low numbers).

IMO Marshall was a bit slow and haphazard reopening pubs.

He had a morning presser "pubs will remain closed" his afternoon presser "why aren't the pubs open, they are allowed to" Some smaller pubs opened up that night with no notice.

Even now some of the logic is flawed, ACT is open but only if you fly, if you drive you could come into contact with the NSW community.

Sounds reasonable until you remember the NSW community can freely enter the ACT or the airport that you use to fly to SA.

All in all Marshall has surprisingly done a good job, only some minor gripes.

SA premier : A-
WA premier: C+ (ridiculous no bubble with SA, NT)
NT premier: A (got control and was quick to reopen to other states)
Queensland: B+ (NSW border a bit OTT)
NSW premier: B+ (couple of mistakes but have taken majority of returning Aussies)
Tas premier: B- (few mistakes and no bubble with SA, NT, WA)
Vic premier: F (could've been replaced with a magic 8 ball and got more decisions right)

I think the SA and NT premiers have been reasonable, Marshall opened up to WA, NT and Queensland very early on.

Victoria hard closure (very reasonable)
NSW open but must quarantine at home (maybe a bit over the top with their low numbers).

IMO Marshall was a bit slow and haphazard reopening pubs.

He had a morning presser "pubs will remain closed" his afternoon presser "why aren't the pubs open, they are allowed to" Some smaller pubs opened up that night with no notice.

Even now some of the logic is flawed, ACT is open but only if you fly, if you drive you could come into contact with the NSW community.

Sounds reasonable until you remember the NSW community can freely enter the ACT or the airport that you use to fly to SA.

All in all Marshall has surprisingly done a good job, only some minor gripes.

SA premier : A-
WA premier: C+ (ridiculous no bubble with SA, NT)
NT premier: A (got control and was quick to reopen to other states)
Queensland: B+ (NSW border a bit OTT)
NSW premier: B+ (couple of mistakes but have taken majority of returning Aussies)
Tas premier: B- (few mistakes and no bubble with SA, NT, WA)
Vic premier: F (could've been replaced with a magic 8 ball and got more decisions right)
ACT Chief Minister - A+

Can't fault anything Andrew Barr has done through the whole CV-19 disaster.

** Helps that Canberra hasn't had a single case of Community Transmission, through the whole pandemic.

ACT Chief Minister - A+

Can't fault anything Andrew Barr has done through the whole CV-19 disaster.

** Helps that Canberra hasn't had a single case of Community Transmission, through the whole pandemic.

I didn't even know his name = no grandstanding....A+

Yep and when the economy opens up again, a reasonable % will be back employed.

How are you feeling for those that work in tourism or international airlines?

There is government support in place.

Life goes on, there are roadblocks thru life. Get over it.

PS : Why don’t we talk about those that died in private aged care homes due to Fed government neglect. You know people that died, not just lost a job! No because that doesn’t suit your political agenda.
1600503545003.png

Yep and when the economy opens up again, a reasonable % will be back employed.

How are you feeling for those that work in tourism or international airlines?

There is government support in place.

Life goes on, there are roadblocks thru life. Get over it.

PS : Why don’t we talk about those that died in private aged care homes due to Fed government neglect. You know people that died, not just lost a job! No because that doesn’t suit your political agenda.
Said like a true retired or close to it boomer.

Said like a true retired or close to it boomer.

When I left school the unemployment rate was 6.3%, not that far off from what it is now and yes I went thru 2 recessions

Anyone would think we have never had recessions before. Yes, some people unfortunately will lose their jobs but they will get them back. This is a cyclical thing. We have been very fortunate over the past 30 years.

I even said back in 1990, yes unemployment is at 10% but guess what, that means 90% are still employed. Looked at things glass half full not half empty.

So you don’t think this has an effect on some retired? Retirement savings have taken a massive hit - the market is still down 20% from its peak.

Yes, some people unfortunately will lose their jobs but they will get them back.

We disagree on how quickly they will get their jobs back I think. Yes, there will be some who bounce back, but it will be terrible for others - through no fault of their own.

My point is that the government should be trying to minimise the impact, rather than locking down more or longer than necessary because a our idiot Premier thinks it will offset his appalling mismanagement.

We disagree on how quickly they will get their jobs back I think. Yes, there will be some who bounce back, but it will be terrible for others - through no fault of their own.

My point is that the government should be trying to minimise the impact, rather than locking down more or longer than necessary because a our idiot Premier thinks it will offset his appalling mismanagement.

I’m in agreeable that lockdowns should not linger anymore than they need to but the public does have a say - social distance, mask wearing and personal hygiene.

I reckon the Vic CMO Sutton is reaching into hyperbole land stating 1 in 3 80+ year olds die of corona virus.
He should have qualified this as “in Victoria 1 in 3, 80+ year olds die of corona virus”.
I thought it was about 14% not 33% and that’s only where co-morbidity's exist.
He actually said this dribble yesterday.

When I left school the unemployment rate was 6.3%, not that far off from what it is now and yes I went thru 2 recessions

Anyone would think we have never had recessions before. Yes, some people unfortunately will lose their jobs but they will get them back. This is a cyclical thing. We have been very fortunate over the past 30 years.

I even said back in 1990, yes unemployment is at 10% but guess what, that means 90% are still employed. Looked at things glass half full not half empty.

So you don’t think this has an effect on some retired? Retirement savings have taken a massive hit - the market is still down 20% from its peak.
I think they started calculating this differently during Howard’s government, lowering the threshold hours worked to be considered employed. Probably due to the increase of casualised work. I remember it was s**t when the 90’s recession occurred. I was working with my dad building and lucky to have 3.5/4 days a week then working for other builders and them not paying and going bust on us a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back