Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The roll out of this vaccine already has the hallmarks of Morrison's vow to have all Australians stranded overseas back by Christmas.
The Oxford vaccine is getting manufactured locally. I believe we've agreed to manufacture over 50m doses

That 10m is the Pfizer vaccine which we aren't making in Australia

Yeah so if there's numbers are accurate we've got enough to vaccinate everyone though most will get the Oxford one, as far as I know they are all two step vaccines.

They were reporting somewhere that we'd be getting about 1m doses a week of Oxford from March or April, with an initial batch of 3m

Either way I wouldn't be expecting the program to cover enough of the population for 6+ Months

Yeah so if there's numbers are accurate we've got enough to vaccinate everyone though most will get the Oxford one, as far as I know they are all two step vaccines.

They were reporting somewhere that we'd be getting about 1m doses a week of Oxford from March or April, with an initial batch of 3m

Either way I wouldn't be expecting the program to cover enough of the population for 6+ Months
The copper wired NBN of vaccines.

So we've got ten million doses of a two step vaccine, I was never much good at maths but where does that leave the fifteen odd million people who there's no vaccines for? Fun fact by the way Greg Hunt did his honours thesis on the need for carbon pricing.
I believe the plan is to use Pfizer for the front-line workers and those most vulnerable, and then later cover the rest of the population with the less effective Oxford vaccine, which they'll be able to manufacture here at a high volume for much cheaper than the cost of acquiring Pfizer and without the logistical problems.

I think your hate is clouding this given nobody actually knows how well any of these work in the wild and reports are currently showing the first jab of Pfizer being closer to 33% effective

Feels a bit like that, honestly. Half-step approach to save money that might cost us in the long run.

That said, in practice the claimed effectiveness of Pfizer is in some doubt so maybe there might not ultimately be that much of a difference between the two. There's still not enough known about any of them in the real world to know what approach is best, but certainly the government has hedged its bets on the cheapest, most convenient option being the most appropriate.

I think your hate is clouding this given nobody actually knows how well any of these work in the wild and reports are currently showing the first jab of Pfizer being closer to 33% effective
It's effectiveness after the second jab that's important. Not the vaccine or manufacturer's problem that some decided to go against the explicit advice of administering the two doses close together, instead opting to try to give more people the first dose and delay the second.

It's effectiveness after the second jab that's important. Not the vaccine or manufacturer's problem that some decided to go against the explicit advice of administering the two doses close together, instead opting to try to give more people the first dose and delay the second.
It's important in that if they claim 90% from a single dose and in reality we are seeing much lower that it's a tinder that the published efficacy rates currently aren't proof of one vaccine being better than another.

Pfizer appears to be the best but it's also the hardest to distribute effectively.

This is a numbers game, the more people you can reduce severity for the more quickly you can do it the better.

If we have to rely on overseas manufacturing and transport for supply of Pfizer that's a risk we do t have with one we can manufacture and distribute locally.

I'm not saying they've made a good call here but talk about the whole situation

33% effective over what timeframe?

This study shows no effect for the first 2 weeks, then >60% effectiveness after 3 weeks.

1611537291723.png

It's important in that if they claim 90% from a single dose and in reality we are seeing much lower that it's a tinder that the published efficacy rates currently aren't proof of one vaccine being better than another.
You're right, it's a concern. As I said above we can't make any definitive statements about effectiveness just yet. We only have rushed trial results and now limited vaccination numbers in other nations. Could be, and hopefully does prove true, that Pfizer's effectiveness increases significantly on the second dose. Could be it falls down in line with Oxford's effectiveness, and that makes the government's plan a winner if so because it is much more convenient for us.

But despite trial results, the government made a decision based on cost, much like they did the NBN. That potentially the best contender couldn't live up to its claims would be just a lucky break for them rather than based on decision-making processes looking for the absolute best outcome for everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Onshore manufacturing is looking more beneficial with the global supply issues. Hopefully this leads to better access for the Pacific Islands and also can be used to assist Indonesia if necessary.

What is happening with New Zealand? They seem to be waiting far longer than even us?

I'm curious to know if the supposed lethality increase of new covid strains factors in the substandard treatment from an overloaded health system. It's hard not to imagine an increase in lethality when people are turned away, oxygen is rationed, etc.

The roll out of this vaccine already has the hallmarks of Morrison's vow to have all Australians stranded overseas back by Christmas.

By 1990, no Australian child will be living in poverty.

Going on Hawke's pledge, Morrison has 31 years and counting to get them all home.

This is on lots of local news sites, has not been picked up by MSM yet except by an ABC(US) regional station:

A judge ordered the Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital in Buffalo, NY to allow an 80-year old woman to be treated with Ivermectin. According to the family their attorney, the treatment saved the life of Judith Smentkiewicz. Although not yet approved, according to court documents, the woman’s daughter referred to it as a “miracle drug,” as do her attorneys, Ralph C. Lorigo and Jon F. Minear. Apparently, a doctor ordered the drug off-label in the intensive care unit (ICU), and as she improved, she was moved to another unit, and the doctor there stepped in and disallowed the use of the drug. Family members immediately involved lawyers and legal action to resume treatment. And now, The New York Supreme Court Judge Henry J. Nowak has aligned with the family.
After resuming treatment she has recovered and been sent home.

Apart from the study of ivermectin on 24 patients in Barcelona last year, another study has been completed in Lagos, Nigeria involving 62 patients, with positive results in mild-moderate cases. FWIW I'm encouraged that they are doing it. IMO the numbers are way too low to get solid results, but I'm not a researcher so what do I know.

Apart from the study of ivermectin on 24 patients in Barcelona last year, another study has been completed in Lagos, Nigeria involving 62 patients, with positive results in mild-moderate cases. FWIW I'm encouraged that they are doing it. IMO the numbers are way too low to get solid results, but I'm not a researcher so what do I know.
Also not a researcher, but I would suggest the only value of those studies is provide support for undertaking further large scale studies. Other drugs have had studies showing improved recovery times, but ultimately have failed to have any meaningful impact of number of patients requiring hospitalization / survival rates (i.e. Remdesivir) what is what actually matters.

Also not a researcher, but I would suggest the only value of those studies is provide support for undertaking further large scale studies. Other drugs have had studies showing improved recovery times, but ultimately have failed to have any meaningful impact of number of patients requiring hospitalization / survival rates (i.e. Remdesivir) what is what actually matters.

If a drug is well known to be and proven safe (eg Remdesivir) and widely available (ie does not mean those who need it for its approved uses are denied or being forced to pay more), I don't see the issue with giving it a go, and continuing with it if the patient continues to improve, or with further study into its effectiveness as a possible treatment.

The problem is when governments start touting it as a miracle drug and it leads to hoarding and unnecessary injury and death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back