Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vaccine roll-out frustration
The Port Stephens GP Super Clinic says it spent time and money getting ready to dispense up to 1,000 COVID-19 vaccines a day, only to be allocated far fewer doses.

The super clinic's Anna Davidson says her practice spent $10,000 on new vaccine fridges.

"We basically got our whole clinic to be ready to be able to vaccinate up to 1,000 people a day if we were called upon and when we were approved as a vaccine centre, and we got our allocation, we got 50 vaccines a week."

There has been backlash over how the vaccine will be distributed, with GPs saying they've been overwhelmed with calls as the Phase 1b roll-out that starts today.
What would make them think they would require capacity for 1,000 vaccines per day?

Port Stephens has a population of 70,000. Once you exclude children under 16 and anti-vaxxers, that is about 50,000 people or 100,000 dose. For a 6 month rollout, and assuming they are the only vaccine provider in the local area, at most they would require 300 per day.

What would make them think they would require capacity for 1,000 vaccines per day?

Port Stephens has a population of 70,000. Once you exclude children under 16 and anti-vaxxers, that is about 50,000 people or 100,000 dose. For a 6 month rollout, and assuming they are the only vaccine provider in the local area, at most they would require 300 per day.

Maybe they're aiming to be a Hunter valley hub - although I guess you'd assume a Hunter valley hub would be in Newcastle.

The US trial of AZ is out. 79% effective against stopping symptomatic Covid disease

UK has been training non-nurses to do vaccinations so they can get them out quicker.

Australia's rollout has been pretty poor thus far. Who's running it?
The UK have even been training non nurses and whatnot to do covid testing:

Southern Railway in the UK is using one of thier currently unused trains as a testing centre for staff with rail staff trained up in how to do the testing procedure manning the train.

The US trial of AZ is out. 79% effective against stopping symptomatic Covid disease

The UK have even been training non nurses and whatnot to do covid testing:

Southern Railway in the UK is using one of thier currently unused trains as a testing centre for staff with rail staff trained up in how to do the testing procedure manning the train.

30,000 volunteers in the trial too. Also said it is 100% effective against severe disease.

This is unfortunately not unique to that practice, happening all over Australia. It feels like some of us will be lucky to get the vaccine before 2022 at the rate this rollout is moving.
Being as few Australians are in danger of dying from covid now, and that the vaccines are still in the experimental phase, as in there has been no long term trials, and being as the short term trials ongoing now, are not filling me with great confidence in the thing, then I for one am happy the distribution is being stalled. I am happy for this as I am still in the information gathering phase.

As far as I know, if you take the vaccine, you still carry and transfer covid. How does that work? Does it mean that those who have been vaccinated will have to quarantine until everyone has been vaccinated, or will the unvaccinated have to quarantine from the vaccinated? It doesn't make sense to me. For now I'm happier relying on a natural immune system than a modified one.

Masks gone for good as of friday?

am i reading that right?
In Victoria:

Face masks will no longer be required in retail settings, but will still be needed on public transport, in taxis and rideshare vehicles. Masks will also remain mandatory at hospitals and in aged care settings.

In Victoria:

Face masks will no longer be required in retail settings, but will still be needed on public transport, in taxis and rideshare vehicles. Masks will also remain mandatory at hospitals and in aged care settings.
Cant wait to smile at people at the shops again and recieve one back.

normality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant wait to smile at people at the shops again and recieve one back.

normality.
It won't be. There'll still be plenty of campaigners wearing masks who'll stare you down because you're not wearing one.
Anyone catch the talk back on SEN today?
"Oh, it was terrible. There was 5 people behind us and 3 people in front of us."
FFS, you're at an event with 25000 people. They're going to be near you.

Amateur hour.

Basic programming not done.
It won't be. There'll still be plenty of campaigners wearing masks who'll stare you down because you're not wearing one.
Anyone catch the talk back on SEN today?
"Oh, it was terrible. There was 5 people behind us and 3 people in front of us."
FFS, you're at an event with 25000 people. They're going to be near you.
My biggest grivence from the weekend is how they did the Melbourne vs Fremantle game. Most of L4 was shut.
Everyone made to huddle together on the levels below.
In a game like that everyone naturally spreads out.

These future dated downscale transition points always amuse me a bit.

Circumstances dictate that we can reduce rules.
But we'll do it on Friday.
So make sure you wear your mask tomorrow buckeroo!

Just got back from Woolies as it happens. Reckon about 50/50 on mask wearing anyway.

I only wear mine for community spirit, so happy for it to live in my pocket from here on out. (Assuming I remember and get frisked by the fuzz to prove carriage.)

Wandered into the supermarket an hour ago to buy some rolls and nutty bars. For the first time in a year, I had forgotten my mask. I felt... free! An outlaw! Badass! I smiled at covid-terrified people wide-eyed over the top of their masks, knowing they could actually see me smile!

And then I realised I hadn't shaved and probably looked like some homeless crazed derro leering at them.

Basic programming not done.

My biggest grivence from the weekend is how they did the Melbourne vs Fremantle game. Most of L4 was shut.
Everyone made to huddle together on the levels below.
In a game like that everyone naturally spreads out.

They did this in Perth last year. At the Swans/GWS game held here, closed off all but one level and everyone had to sit on the same side of the ground. So while it was a small crowd there was no spacing other than every second row being kept empty. Seemed like it was more to keep costs down in terms of staffing.

They did this in Perth last year. At the Swans/GWS game held here, closed off all but one level and everyone had to sit on the same side of the ground. So while it was a small crowd there was no spacing other than every second row being kept empty. Seemed like it was more to keep costs down in terms of staffing.
Reduce the number of pie warmers needed

That's 100 per cent the reason. More cost effective to close a whole level, but it negates the health reasons behind restricted crowds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back