Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I follow one of the health.gov sites, from my views it looks like we have less new cases today then we did the day before from the data I can see.

This is surely a great sign and potentially evidence the restrictions are starting to slow the new diagnosis rate.
Nationwide in the last week:

20/03/2020 = 875 (+167) = 24% growth
21/03/2020 = 1,071 (+196)= 22% growth
22/03/2020 = 1,352 (+281) = 26% growth
23/03/2020 = 1,716 (+364) = 27% growth
24/03/2020 = 2,146 (+430) = 25% growth
25/03/2020 = 2,431 (+285) = 13% growth
26/03/2020 = 2,805 (+374) = 15% growth
27/03/2020 = 3,045 (+240) = 9% growth

Hopefully we don't see a massive influx of cases this afternoon and evening.

Which states have reported? Normally WA is one of the last to report.

From the ABC live coverage:

They. Just. Aren't. Getting. It.

Level 3+ lockdowns are inevitable with attitudes like this.

In WA or in general?

Hopefully not either. Hopefully we don't need to go further with the restrictions. I think the problem with Germany, Spain and Italy is that they live in quite close proximity to one another and that the horse had bolted.

Some posters here are suggesting to look at Singapore as the model for viral containment in order to 'flatten the curve'. I think the thing is that Singapore has a vastly different climate to us here in that is constantly warm/hot and humid. Viruses like the one we're dealing with now generally don't last in those environments. Which is why when people get sick their body temperature increases to fight the infection. One of the places that were closed due to the Stage 1/2 Restrictions were saunas which would be very helpful in fighting the virus. Although I kind of understand why due to 'social distancing'

Just my musings.

In WA or in general?

Hopefully not either. Hopefully we don't need to go further with the restrictions. I think the problem with Germany, Spain and Italy is that they live in quite close proximity to one another and that the horse had bolted.

Some posters here are suggesting to look at Singapore as the model for viral containment in order to 'flatten the curve'. I think the thing is that Singapore has a vastly different climate to us here in that is constantly warm/hot and humid. Viruses like the one we're dealing with now generally don't last in those environments. Which is why when people get sick their body temperature increases to fight the infection. One of the places that were closed due to the Stage 1/2 Restrictions were saunas which would be very helpful in fighting the virus. Although I kind of understand why due to 'social distancing'

Just my musings.
I think it's already been pointed out that climate has very little to do with it. The virus can survive quite nicely in our bodies at 37 degrees. It would need to be much hotter than that outside for there to be any effect on it.

I've kept a close recurring eye on the case numbers for weeks.
Latest update I've seen is Australia has 3050 total cases.
172 are listed as recovered, would there be a simpler reason other than "it hasn't been confirmed" as to why out of the 172 recovered, Victoria have 149 of them. Would it be reasonable to assume that we have many more than 172 recovered, and they are just not being confirmed from the other states?

I read it somewhere, maybe on abc website, that only vic, wa, and the territory’s are actively reporting recoveries. And only vic as part of its daily release. Despite media asking other states for more details.

lots of herd thinning taking place the world over. it has been one of the worst culprits for spread... congregating numbers who don't need to take measures because god.
indonesia praying the disease away will have their numbers rivaling the US... or worse.

We should to what the UK and Germany are doing and enforce a limit of 2 people meeting outside. Or the Italy, Spain and France method of having to fill out a form detailing reasons for being outside. That would send the message.

We are heading for a very strong police presence in public for when level 4 hits.

If you want to get a more accurate picture of the disease progression within Australia, you really need to strip out overseas transmission and their direct contacts.

That won’t leave you with many cases, but that’s just the nature of where we are in terms of testing and local transmissions.

Given all the focus up until now has been on detecting people bringing the disease into the country, these have been the majority of our diagnoses and a natural attrition in this cohort is normal given the border closure.

Whether or not there is a substantial number of unidentified community transmissions out there is hard to say, and should become clear over the next couple of weeks as testing shifts focus.

As such I would not read too much into a slight levelling off of the growth rate - either one way or another. It’s simply too early to say what is happening on the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn’t give a s**t about sport right now to be honest. At first I did but since being offered a job and it being revoked because of this I really couldn’t care less.

I daresay a heap of other people are in the exact same boat.

Sport would be nice but it still won’t solve the absolute shitheap we are headed for when it comes to unemployment.

Sick of hearing about sport. It’s been a ******* week. I want my job back.
Out of interest what did this employer say about the offered position?

They will contact you when it’s over to see if they can still take you on, They aren’t hiring now, etc?

In WA or in general?

Just my musings.

In general but also in WA.

Re: heat and humidity - Singapore has an authoritarian government, is tiny and the population is mostly compliant with any government directives (you can argue whether it's due to their innate culture and society or through a dictatorship-style of governing). No surprise it's under control there. The virus can easily survive in Singapore conditions - logically, if the virus survives and thrives inside our body which is at 37 degrees, the typical hot days we might get in Australia don't matter much.

"These are wealthy, educated people and you just expect them to do the right thing and not take outrageous risk with other people's health," one guest said.

That fascinates me.

One one hand there is that opinion, rich = educated = intelligent = do the right thing.
One another there is a diff opinion, rich = self entitled = do their own thing.

Which is it?

I mentioned the blicavs situation earlier. No on infected i believe, good. A geelong friend said nothing to see here (re: blicavs), but was outraged at the party attendees in the article you posted.

There is quite a lot of anger, understandably, from different quarters around the world towards China. Some I imagine are advocating severe measures against the nation. Even here on BF in the past posters have declared they had boycotted and refused to buy anything made in china.

ok/

If you want to get a more accurate picture of the disease progression within Australia, you really need to strip out overseas transmission and their direct contacts.
Not good:

Health authorities in NSW are concerned about the increasing number of COVID-19 cases where the source is unknown, and have flagged tougher social-distancing measures to combat them.

If 20% of the population gets COVID-19, it will result in 500x the number of ICU admissions for flu that we had last season.

Or rather, it will result in 500x the number of patients requiring ICU beds. They don’t have a hope in hell of all being admitted.

Speculation based on a model created using data from a single study of Hubei. Another study of the same province concluded that the likely real figure of infections-to-deaths in Hubei to be somewhere between 0.03% and 0.017%. Both are just single studies, both should be treated as possibly true.

It seems right now that the only real risk about this virus is that it's novel, but that's a two-way street, because it means any response we make to it could be an underreaction or an overreaction. How's Sweden going? How's Japan going? Are their health care systems about to fall over and collapse because they've told everyone to be clean, stay home if you're at risk or sick (both of which should apply in all circumstances, let's be honest), and otherwise basically business as normal?

Not good:

Health authorities in NSW are concerned about the increasing number of COVID-19 cases where the source is unknown, and have flagged tougher social-distancing measures to combat them.

Next level lockdowns are imminent you'd think as part of the next phase of flattening the curve.

For those still working(not home)and are worried about possibly bringing the virus home to your family, here is the recommended guidelines.View attachment 847628

Interesting, and thank you for posting that.

Its practically a case of inside clothes, outside clothes. I do have some questions however.

cards and licence in ziplock bag. The bags are bought from a shop presumably (unless bought pre corona). They are brought from the outside into the home?

Cheap shoes, leave outside the house. What if people dont have any? A quick trip to kmart is in order me thinks.

Leave pen at work. I think most people do. Coat with alcohol or hand sanitiser. Where can one get sanitiser??? its sold out!

Phone in ziplock bag. Do you reuse the bag or dispose of it after a day?

Clothes off at front door. Arent there laws against outdoor nudity! :D

There is quite a lot of anger, understandably, from different quarters around the world towards China. Some I imagine are advocating severe measures against the nation. Even here on BF in the past posters have declared they had boycotted and refused to buy anything made in china.

ok/

Even before this I try to avoid products that have a close link to the Chinese government (yes, I am aware that it's near impossible to live a life without Chinese goods or services). For example I would never purchase a Huawei product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back