Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

As much as he is a terrible leader and very poor communicator (imo) the only way we'll genuinely be able to judge the governments response is when other countries begin to operate again. At that point a clear comparison will be easy.

If you don't think human life has a price tag, you sure do now. If the death figures remain relatively low then expect to see some crazy things occurring.

Retail doing it's own governing, more and more big chains closing down. Makes it an easy decision for Scomo to close it all this evening.

Fountain Gate Shopping Centre in Victoria is for the most part a ghost town with plenty of stores shut and just about every store strticting hours to 10am-5:30pm(only a select few still operating late night trade). Unfortuantley though, many parent's still dont quite get the idea and are bringing their kids along to buy non essential items such as takeaway, chocolates and ice creams. And people just dont seem to get the idea that if you are sick, stay home.

Coles in the centre actually shut yesterday due to an elderly man collapsing and dying at the scene. Not sure what caused this though.

It's for this reason the centres really should shut, but I don't think they will.

Same with Victoria. This is the data in the last week.

19/03/2020 = 150 (+29) = 24% growth
20/03/2020 = 178 (+28) = 19% growth
21/03/2020 = 229 (+51) = 29% growth
22/03/2020 = 296 (+67) = 29% growth
23/03/2020 = 355 (+59) = 20% growth
24/03/2020 = 411 (+56) = 16% growth
25/03/2020 = 466 (+55) = 13% growth
26/03/2020 = 520 (+54) = 12% growth

149 have recovered.
20/03/2020 = 178 (+28) = 19% growth
21/03/2020 = 229 (+51) = 29% growth
22/03/2020 = 296 (+67) = 29% growth
23/03/2020 = 355 (+59) = 20% growth
24/03/2020 = 411 (+56) = 16% growth
25/03/2020 = 466 (+55) = 13% growth
26/03/2020 = 520 (+54) = 12% growth
27/03/2020 = 574 (+54) = 10% growth

Unfortunately there's further evidence of community transmissions which now increase to 16, up from 9 yesterday.

Lucky I have a heap of metho just laying around and over 100 big aloe vera plants in the garden., I got some cheap disinfectant at Woolies as last resort and it smells disgusting.
Ive got some metho and about a dozen bottles of very cheap and nasty vodka ( I use it for preserving fruit).

Cormann says government will not pay workers' wages
I can understand why they wouldn’t do it. There are other ways to pump money into the economy that are more immediate and will arguably be more effective at stimulating it.

Fundamentally you want to prop up real economic activity rather than people’s earnings. If you can spend $1m to keep a factory in operation, that’s better than using $1m to pay a wage subsidy to employees sitting at home.

As such I’ll be interested to see what the government has planned as an alternative. It will need to be something pretty massive.

I can understand why they wouldn’t do it. There are other ways to pump money into the economy that are more immediate and will arguably be more effective at stimulating it.

Fundamentally you want to prop up real economic activity rather than people’s earnings. If you can spend $1m to keep a factory in operation, that’s better than using $1m to pay a wage subsidy to employees sitting at home.

As such I’ll be interested to see what the government has planned as an alternative. It will need to be something pretty massive.
The poms paid 80% of wages
When its over they go back to work and shopping
We give hand outs to small biz they bank it as they sack their workers
Sacked workers aren't going to spend big when its over, so small biz wont need to re-employ for no increased demand
Then add bankruptcy, losing homes, losing rentals, massive debts and pensioners with reduced super not spending as much either,and pantries full of food and toilet paper that need to be used further reducing demand

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've kept a close recurring eye on the case numbers for weeks.
Latest update I've seen is Australia has 3050 total cases.
172 are listed as recovered, would there be a simpler reason other than "it hasn't been confirmed" as to why out of the 172 recovered, Victoria have 149 of them. Would it be reasonable to assume that we have many more than 172 recovered, and they are just not being confirmed from the other states?

The poms paid 80% of wages
When its over they go back to work and shopping
We give hand outs to small biz they bank it as they sack their workers
Sacked workers aren't going to spend big when its over, so small biz wont need to re-employ for no increased demand
Then add bankruptcy, losing homes, losing rentals, massive debts and pensioners with reduced super not spending as much either,and pantries full of food and toilet paper that need to be used further reducing demand
A lot depends on how long you think this is going to last for.

Relieving the wage burden on businesses to tide them over for a few weeks while we all go home can make sense. But if we’re talking 6-18 months, then that quickly becomes pretty unsustainable.

In the latter situation you really need to focus the bulk of government spending on quickly transforming the economy. If this is the ‘new normal’, the only way to get through it is to find new ways to produce and generate value.

I’d like to think that we can get the bulk of the economy back to work relatively quickly, but all the rhetoric coming out of the government says that they believe otherwise. As such I can sort of understand why they’re making the decisions that they are.

A lot depends on how long you think this is going to last for.

Relieving the wage burden on businesses to tide them over for a few weeks while we all go home can make sense. But if we’re talking 6-18 months, then that quickly becomes pretty unsustainable.

In the latter situation you really need to focus the bulk of government spending on quickly transforming the economy. If this is the ‘new normal’, the only way to get through it is to find new ways to produce and generate value.

I’d like to think that we can get the bulk of the economy back to work relatively quickly, but all the rhetoric coming out of the government says that they believe otherwise. As such I can sort of understand why they’re making the decisions that they are.
Pretty sure they said for as long as it takes
China did 4 months we may need between 4 and 6 to be sure

There will need to be a massive stimulus at the end to get people shopping and drinking coffee but we will be starting from zero

Pretty sure they said for as long as it takes
China did 4 months we may need between 4 and 6 to be sure
I think if it takes the UK 4-6 months to resolve, they won’t be paying 80% of wages by the end of it. Or if they are, they’re going to have an inflation problem.

This is a pretty tough situation we’re in, particularly for countries like Australia with service-based economies.

172 are listed as recovered, would there be a simpler reason other than "it hasn't been confirmed" as to why out of the 172 recovered, Victoria have 149 of them. Would it be reasonable to assume that we have many more than 172 recovered, and they are just not being confirmed from the other states?
I follow one of the health.gov sites, from my views it looks like we have less new cases today then we did the day before from the data I can see.

This is surely a great sign and potentially evidence the restrictions are starting to slow the new diagnosis rate.

If they're deferring mortgages and looking to do something with those unable to pay rent people shouldn't need the same amount of pay that they're budgeted for, right?

We need to look after the vulnerable but I get a feeling people are going to get pissy because they usually save $200 a week and now they can't.

I think if it takes the UK 4-6 months to resolve, they won’t be paying 80% of wages by the end of it. Or if they are, they’re going to have an inflation problem.

This is a pretty tough situation we’re in, particularly for countries like Australia with service-based economies.
The government is to pay the wages of millions of workers across Britain to keep them in jobs as the economic fallout from the coronavirus outbreak escalates.

In an unprecedented step for the British government, the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, said the state would pay grants covering up to 80% of the salary of workers if companies kept them on their payroll, rather than lay them off as the economy crashes.
The extraordinary payments will be worth up to a maximum of £2,500 per month, just above the median income.

The payments will be backdated to the start of March, will be up and running within weeks, open initially for at least three months, and could be extended if necessary.

From the ABC live coverage:

Can I have a picnic at the park this weekend with my household?

-Bec

Hi, sorry if it have been answered before but what are the rules in regards to outside sporting matches. When walking my dog yesterday I saw 2 football matches going on and I thought this had been banned? Thanks

-Ella

They. Just. Aren't. Getting. It.

Level 3+ lockdowns are inevitable with attitudes like this.

192 recovered now.

The recovered numbers stopped being tracked a week ago and many States didn't even collate it in the first place. It's reasonable to assume that cases from two weeks ago that weren't hospitalised would be added to a recovered column. Think they're resuming counting now.

People are dumb. "Can I do this? Can I do that?"

Stay the fu** home! How hard is it?

We should to what the UK and Germany are doing and enforce a limit of 2 people meeting outside. Or the Italy, Spain and France method of having to fill out a form detailing reasons for being outside. That would send the message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back