Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
His press conference performance has been infinitely better the last week - doesn't change the fact he is 7-14 days behind the curve
total daily increase in cases in Australia are down for a 2nd day in a row.
I'd say we are definitely heading in the right direction.

anyone who complains about that wage subsidy is a ******* idiot
Depends how long the crisis runs for. Payments of cash are meaningless if they are not underpinned on some level by real economic activity.

You can only defy financial gravity for so long, and if the government can’t get the economy moving reasonably quickly then the dollar is going to go south in a big way.

Depends how long the crisis runs for. Payments of cash are meaningless if they are not underpinned on some level by real economic activity.

You can only defy financial gravity for so long, and if the government can’t get the economy moving reasonably quickly then the dollar is going to go south in a big way.
A large part of the effectiveness of this policy is the responsibility of the person receiving the subsidy. If they aren't going to be investing that money into the economy than its pointless.

My worry would be that your employers claim it each time on your behalf and pass on nothing.

But I think each person gets $1500 a fortnight no matter.
I expect 2 places not to qualify anyway (Catholic High school and city council) but would be nice if the others got it and passed it on to me.

A large part of the effectiveness of this policy is the responsibility of the person receiving the subsidy. If they aren't going to be investing that money into the economy than its pointless.
The problem is that traditional stimulus doesn’t work to generate activity in an economy that is artificially shut down.

Even if everyone wants to spend the money, it ultimately doesn’t matter when businesses are physically unable to operate because of health restrictions.

These are the perils of a service-based economy.

The problem is that traditional stimulus doesn’t work to generate activity in an economy that is artificially shut down.

Even if everyone wants to spend the money, it ultimately doesn’t matter when businesses are physically unable to operate because of health restrictions.

These are the perils of a service-based economy.
totally understand, but nothing can be done about that right now. The entire economy isn't shut down, there are still lots of business' still open.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was clicking through the PM edition of the ePaper - and I see they're going with the "Lookit all these entitled boomers complaining about being quarantined in 5 star hotels" angle.

Makes you wonder how many circumspect responses they got whilst harvesting those, erm, more colourful takes.

Media editorializing aside though, perhaps we could organise a contact visit from Bubba to that old chap who thinks the inmates at Long Bay are being better treated than they in their Sydney 5 star accommodations?

perhaps we could organise a contact visit from Bubba to that old chap who thinks the inmates at Long Bay are being better treated than they in their Sydney 5 star accommodations?
In fairness, if you asked me if I’d prefer Silverwater over being stuck in a 30sqm room with two toddlers for a fortnight I’d definitely have to think about it.

yeh i fear that a lot of small and medium sized businesses will claim the money but not pass it on.
hopefully employees can register and they can cross check data between employers claiming and employees waiting

From the press conference just before, the PM was asked about this, and his response was that this will be claimed by the employer via the ATO. The employer will notify the ATO of their employees they will be lodging for the claim. The ATO will then cross reference this claim via each employers STP upload to the ATO.

In theory this should be the big stick to ensure compliance, but where there is a dollar, there is usually someone willing to find a work-around.

How much will people have left after housing and sustenance? I'm not sure many will be pocketing the lot.
that's just economic principles, the true purpose of this package is to inject as much spending into the economy as possible

I reckon we're going to see a lot of changes after Covid.

I reckon all passengers on international flights will be tested for illness/viruses before being able to board, and before entering the country. We have to have better safe guards in place so this doesn't happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back