Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does Germany have such a low death rate? Italy was supposed to have great doctors/facilities.....is there really that much of a demographic difference between Italy and Germany?
Germany has tested thousands of more people than any other country and so has been able to identify more serious cases and isolated the people. It also has less older people who have caught it.

Thousands of people flew out of Wuhan to cities around the world before it went into lockdown at the end of January. Guess where their top destination city was in Australia (by far). That's right. Sydney. That's why Sydney's infection rate has far outstripped the rest of our cities right from the start.
What details can you provide for approx. how many Chinese citizens left Wuhan after 17.11.19 (& prior to the late Jan. lockdown) to travel to other countries- approx. when, which countries, & what nos.?

Ditto departures from the c. 60m Hubei Province (of which Wuhan is the capital)?

Ditto, details on non-Chinese citizens leaving Wuhan & Hubei after 17.11.19. to late Jan., going to other countries?

Ditto for all 3 groups after late Jan. lockdown?

I am not sure the Chinese Communist Party etc. has made this information publicly available, so embarassing it is to China.
They have said c. 5,000,000 left Wuhan/Hubei shortly before the late Jan. lockdown- but I have not seen their destinations. Or the CCP will probably lie (particularly for those who left Wuhan/ Hubei, then went to an airport in another Province outside of Hubei- to fly overseas. How would those outside CCP know this?).

Any links would be much appreciated.

Also, has China specifically addressed this issue in its media ie how has the Chinese Communist Party etc. justified this disgraceful, appalling, & very deadly, departure of its citizens etc. out of Hubei into other countries prior to their Wuhan/Hubei late Jan. lockdown; & after late Jan.?

Last edited:
The smartest thing the afl should do now is reduce the league to 13 teams. Play everyone twice with one team having a buy each week.
There has been talk about the TV rights deal being torn up or whatever, brilliant this situation is easier now. Imagine 13 teams. 200 less players in the league will finally make the skills a bit more bearable to watch and get back to an elite sport. The fixture is fair of course.

I don't like the idea of losing clubs and hope it doesn't happen, but the bold point is bang on. Get a better concentration of talent, higher quality teams, better footy.

How does Germany have such a low death rate? Italy was supposed to have great doctors/facilities.....is there really that much of a demographic difference between Italy and Germany?

Italians like the Greeks, have large families that live under the same roof or associate with one another on a frequent basis (back in the home country).
This means young people are prone to catching the virus then coming home and spreading to older family members.
Italians are also affectionate people. Hugging and kissing is the norm whereas as old fashioned blokey handshakes is what we are accustom to.

I am unsure of the statistics but you would think the majority of Italians deaths are the elderly.

Good stuff, thanks. I understand that the test cost $500 in the US which acts as an obvious impediemnt to the under resourced. Hospital could cripple you
yeah wow. I can only imagine what a couple of weeks in the ICU of a US hospital might cost :oops:. Add in that from my friends living in the US that after 3 months of unemployment your health insurance that hopefully came with your job runs out (unless you paid extra for the 3m extension), and the numbers of homeless people I saw in the streets in Seattle and New York, it's going to get real bad over there.

Say what you want but the fact we have tested so many and still finding under 2% positive cases while America is above 50% is a good sign and credit needs to be given to our government.

We have tested more people than the USA 300+ million vs 24 here

Just keep testing, keep tracing and keep quarantining.
Unfortunately they're going to cop criticisms far more than they will compliments.

I am not a political person by any stretch so my opinion may be less valid but I've been impressed by ScoMo and even moreso Daniel Andrews in Victoria.

Luck, less Wuhan internationals, had more time to prepare, have a incredible high number of ICU beds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i read it somewhere mate. Something like 20% of people who have caught the virus in Germany are aged over 60. In other countries, this figure is well over 50%.

Italy is one of the oldest populations in the world and all they live in multi generation family setups making it easier for them to catch it. High propensity for smoking etc. Perfect storm

Italians like the Greeks, have large families that live under the same roof or associate with one another on a frequent basis (back in the home country).
This means young people are prone to catching the virus then coming home and spreading to older family members.
Italians are also affectionate people. Hugging and kissing is the norm whereas as old fashioned blokey handshakes is what we are accustom to.

I am unsure of the statistics but you would think the majority of Italians deaths are the elderly.
I was there last year and they are also a very old population (23% over 65) who live in very close contact in the packed-in major cities and also have very high heavy smoking rates (22.8% adults smoke daily). Public transport is the major mode of transport. They greet each other, particularly the oldies, with close contact. Add in the Italian report I read that when it was first spreading in the north and they weren't testing, many doctors further south who were later shown to be positive from the now infamous '10K' bringing it back from the north, were unfortunately infecting old and sick patients as they continued to do their rounds (not their fault - they weren't to know back then). All in all a sh5t show but also gives an indication why the death rates are much lower elsewhere (aside from Spain which has a very similar profile - I was there a year earlier).

In about 8 months time this will be all over and we can look forward to a Richmond vs West Coast Grand Final at the MCG in December.

Cricket T20 World Cup- Won’t be at the MCG in December the BCCI have money

Germany has tested thousands of more people than any other country and so has been able to identify more serious cases and isolated the people. It also has less older people who have caught it.

They also don't have big families (including the elderly/grandparents) crammed together in the same apartment buildings and units like they do in Italy and Spain.

My figures are a week old, but I thought South Korea had tested the most .
and Yes , Australia in a lowly 4th place place.

Per capita, Australia has tested double what Germany have.
4 times what the UK have.

If you ring up from Deer Park and say you think you have Corona Virus, and have no reason to think you contacted anyone with it, they may not test you. That doesn't mean that you can apply your statistic of 1 across the board.

I hate how Slo-Mo is always smiling, smugly and using a condescending tone constantly.

After the bushfire fiasco he probably sees himself as a hero to the people here to redeem himself.

When asked the most important question today regarding the measures and the modeling his days yet again his taking "advice" of the medical professionals but utmost importance is not losing jobs.

He thinks he can win the virus and the economy at the same time. Fool of the highest order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back