Could Peter Wright be almost the biggest trade bargain ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt he'd be in the top 15 forwards in the competition for contested marks if it was a % stat which would be more useful. Main reason he's ranked so highly for contested marks is the number of times the ball is kicked to him. He was a liability at times in a lot of Essendon's close losses or one quarter fadeouts early in the season. It doesn't matter that he's kicking a couple of goals a game with the amount of times he gets hands to the ball and doesn't complete the mark coupled with a lack of pressure around him that had the ball rebounding out of the 50 quite quickly. Essendon were (and still are) getting more out of Draper than Wright.

Granted a lot of that wasn't his fault and was just as much a result of the lack of help he was getting as well as some poor kicks inside 50. He has been a lot better since a fit Jake Stringer (as well as other players finding form) has come back into the side and provided other targets as well as some ground level pressure. I'm not saying he hasn't had a good year because he has, just that he hasn't dominated games consistently enough to be a bargain. For me to give a trade that label he'd have to improve those areas a little.

Do you have any stats to back up him being targeted meaningfully more then other KPFs?

Freo turned chis mayne into blake acres and caleb serong.

Freo got pick 19 for chis mayne with FA

Traded pick 19 for brad hill

Traded hill for pick 10, blake acres and a future 2nd

Traded 10 and the 2nd to move up the draft

Then drafted caleb serong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back