Could Peter Wright be almost the biggest trade bargain ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

You could argue that Dodoro saw something in him that no one else saw at the time.

?

I don't think Wright is doing anything much different to what he'd done Gold Coast though is he?

I think this year he's only averaging less than a goal a game more than he did at Gold Coast.

The only difference I see is that Rutten uses him a bit differently.

He's about where you thought he'd be after 2017, except for whatever reason he went backwards in 2018/19 and 2020 didn't play at all. Not sure if injuries played a part but I remember him playing a few NEAFL games. Glad to see him doing well, surprised to see him doing so well when Essendon have done so poorly.

Wright is having a good year. But if by some miracle Essendon actually start contending blokes like Wright - ruckman size forwards - are rarely your man.

I think Salmon is the only one ever to truly dominate and that was in the lead and mark era.

It's less than two years since Essendon traded 2MP in and the deal is looking absolutely insane.

Key forwards are the obsession at AFL level as good ones are rare and you can build teams around them. Clubs spend very high draft picks on them and wait years for them to develop. They command enormous free agency and trade prices.

On any objective measure, Wright is one of the best key forwards in the game in 2022.

He's Top 5 in the league for both contested marks and goals. He also has more accurate goalkicking than any of the rest of the Top 5.

This is playing in one of the worst teams in the league, with absolutely chaotic ball movement for most of the season. If he was in a good side with a dominant midfield... bloody hell.

He's strong on the lead and increasingly so in contested situations. At 203cm he's super agile too, and still only 25yo.

But on the topic itself... he was traded for a future fourth-round pick. And the Suns paid a portion of his salary. Incredible.

It's not a nostradamus move, as in nobody thought he'd be this good. Essendon were desperate for height with Daniher, Bellchambers and McKernan all moving on.

But to land a ready-made, No. 1 key forward for this price? Unbelievable.
Lewis Young says hi.
Held Wright goalless, while getting 18 disposals (at 100%), 7 marks (5 intercept marks), 14 intercepts, 10 x 1%ers, 1 x turnover, 10 spoils, 6 rebound 50s, third highest ratings points for the game (highest for Carlton). Anchoring down the number one defensive position, without Weitering, in his 33rd game.

Wright was a pretty good bargain, but I reckon the best bargains bring team success, not individual success.

These are the exact type of low risk trade deals that keep Dodoro employed.

In between using Pick 1 on a back pocket, burning another top draft pick on Aaron Francis, knocking back multiple Top 10 picks for an injury prone key forward and fudging the trade deal for the last gun player that requested a trade to the club there’s been very little traction with the list.

With 40 odd useable list spots there’s bound to be a couple of success stories over a 20 year stint - especially with the aid of some strong pharmaceuticals - but it’s hard not to celebrate Dodoro’s big gamble on this former first round draft pick.

Sack Rutten.
tell us your unhinged about a club without telling us your unhinged about that club

I See You Soccer GIF by UEFA

real housewives GIF by Slice

republican national convention rnc GIF by Election 2016
Bored Nick Kyrgios GIF by Tennis TV
Repeating Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone
watson katydids GIF by Teachers on TV Land
All Day Life GIF by Rosanna Pansino

Be Quiet Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Stop It Michael Jordan GIF
this has to be market leader for post of the year

Lewis Young for pick 52 (SPS pick) would be up there...
Young has been unreal for our backline and has cemented himself in our best back 7...

wtf were you thinking Western Bulldogs
Your biggest need, he was yours and you threw him away... :roflv1:
young has been a reasonably strong deal for Carlton and would be in the top handful of deals from last years off season. Kudos to Carlton for identifying Young and getting him in

Dodoro has the ability to generate the biggest trade bargain ever but can't pick a Top 100 player with Pick 1.

This is all very nice but there's countless other places for you to indulge your weird obsession with an opposition club's list manager. This is just about one trade and how it compares to other big bargains around the league over the years.

This is all very nice but there's countless other places for you to indulge your weird obsession with an opposition club's list manager. This is just about one trade and how it compares to other big bargains around the league over the years.
There's also other places for an OTT appraisal of a guy who's played 18 months max of decent footy - namely the Essendon board. This thread exists to pump up Peter Wright up, and as a tacit nod to Dodoro as a recruiter.

Carey for $10k

Andrew McLeod for Chris Groom

Brian Lake for effectively a pick in the 30's

Josh Kennedy & Ben McGlynn for picks 39, 46 & 70

Jack Crisp as steak knives in a deal

Witts & Nankervis seem like bargains too

Dayne Zorko for a 13 pick up grade (47 to 34)

Jack Steele for a 2nd round pick

But they didn't go to Essendon. You're doing this aaallllll wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's also other places for an OTT appraisal of a guy who's played 18 months max of decent footy - namely the Essendon board. This thread exists to pump up Peter Wright up, and as a tacit nod to Dodoro as a recruiter.

It's really not about Dodoro... who knows how he was idenitifed, maybe somebody at Essendon was a fan of his and raised him as a target. Maybe one of the data nerds the clubs use liked his numbers. Who knows, and who cares. You're seriously obsessed.

As for being OTT, so far about 4 or 5 trades across 20+ years have been raised and are genuinely in the conversation. It's a fair discussion, you just have a blockage that doesn't allow you to see it.

It's really not about Dodoro... who knows how he was idenitifed, maybe somebody at Essendon was a fan of his and raised him as a target. Maybe one of the data nerds the clubs use liked his numbers. Who knows, and who cares. You're seriously obsessed.

As for being OTT, so far about 4 or 5 trades across 20+ years have been raised and are genuinely in the conversation. It's a fair discussion, you just have a blockage that doesn't allow you to see it.
We know your motivations mate - you're dressing it up big time.

It's also one of the more premature discussions given the tiny sample size and longevity of players who actually are in the frame (Kennedy, Steele off the top).

This thread is a bit of self-congratulations or Peter Wright wouldn't have been used as the mascot for trade bargains.

Time to drag this one across to the Essendon board.

Edit - lost it at the bizarre tangent referencing data nerds. This guy was a former first round draft pick who went to school at St Bernards, dominated in his draft year and had a pretty promising first couple of years at the Suns - not some obscure prospect. He was then traded in for a 4th round pick. The stakes were very, very low to say the least.

Last edited:
Not in ‘biggest ever bargain’ territory but a strong recent deal for my team:

In: Darcy Cameron, Pick 62
Out: Pick 56

Evens out the Sam Murray debacle…

Jack Crisp must be one of the finest set of steak knives currently chopping up beef.

Not in ‘biggest ever bargain’ territory but a strong recent deal for my team:

In: Darcy Cameron, Pick 62
Out: Pick 56

Evens out the Sam Murray debacle…

Jack Crisp must be one of the finest set of steak knives currently chopping up beef.
Wrighty obviously a great pickup for the price too. Wish we hadve had a look but well, salary cap implosion, trading out all our players for peanuts etc… Timing wasn’t ideal.

I don't think Wright is doing anything much different to what he'd done Gold Coast though is he?

I think this year he's only averaging less than a goal a game more than he did at Gold Coast.

My friend pretty much has same job as me except he makes double what I make.

Nothings really different except he does have a better house, car, clothes and he just seems to be happier in general.

My friend pretty much has same job as me except he makes double what I make.

Nothings really different except he does have a better house, car, clothes and he just seems to be happier in general.
In your over eager attempt to come up with a witty response and be a smart arse - you obviously missed the context of my post entirely.

Is it still the greatest trade of all time if he goes back to kicking 25 goals a year next year?

He is only going to kick 50 goals this year. Maybe.

It is not exactly the next coming of Peter Hudson.

Jeez Bombers fans are easily excited.

It's less than two years since Essendon traded 2MP in and the deal is looking absolutely insane.

Key forwards are the obsession at AFL level as good ones are rare and you can build teams around them. Clubs spend very high draft picks on them and wait years for them to develop. They command enormous free agency and trade prices.

On any objective measure, Wright is one of the best key forwards in the game in 2022.

He's Top 5 in the league for both contested marks and goals. He also has more accurate goalkicking than any of the rest of the Top 5.

This is playing in one of the worst teams in the league, with absolutely chaotic ball movement for most of the season. If he was in a good side with a dominant midfield... bloody hell.

He's strong on the lead and increasingly so in contested situations. At 203cm he's super agile too, and still only 25yo.

But on the topic itself... he was traded for a future fourth-round pick. And the Suns paid a portion of his salary. Incredible.

It's not a nostradamus move, as in nobody thought he'd be this good. Essendon were desperate for height with Daniher, Bellchambers and McKernan all moving on.

But to land a ready-made, No. 1 key forward for this price? Unbelievable.
It's a great get at that price if he keeps going on with it through his career.

It amuses me (maybe that's not the right word) that it is generally expected that key forwards don't hit their best until their mid 20's, yet very few are given that long to prove themselves. Wright is another great example of a player who showed a bit of promise, but as he wasn't tearing games apart, was considered a bit of a failure. Low and behold he hits his mid 20's and he starts to dominate. I'm sure Hawkins was the same, as well as Kennedy. Mitch Lewis is another who has suddenly arrived. I know its hard to keep guys on the list, hoping for a big improvement when they fully mature, but not many big forwards have much of an impact in their first few seasons.

Roughead was swung between the forward and backlines, and was even dropped at times, in his first few years. Thankfully there was an understanding that he was a special talent and he certainly came good.

Additionally, Podsiadly is an example of a mature KPF who came right in and played his role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back