Could this be the most open season since 97/98?

Remove this Banner Ad

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
In 1997, the top team finished with 15 wins, in 1998 only 16. This season, I don't really see a team that is screaming 17+ wins at this point. Which is in stark contrast to some of the seasons in recent times, which have involved a handful of teams racking up 17-20 wins with 5-6 teams just making up numbers in the finals.

Hawthorn don't quite look as good, and there are numerous contenders all fairly similar ability wise.

At this stage, I'd say the following teams are in the mix :Hawthorn, West Coast, Geelong, Sydney, Adelaide, Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne. All seven are incredibly hard to split at this point and a case could be made for any of them to be in the grand final right now.

Gold Coast, GWS, Port could also get enough wins to be around the top end if they are at their best.

This has been the best start to a season in a while, could end up being the best for a long time as well.

Maybe too early to call it dead even as there could be a bolter but I wouldn't be surprised to come into the final couple games to see a team finish 2-3rd or 8th depending on the last couple round of results. big question will be will we finally see another team outside top 4 win it all. You wouldn't write off a few of those clubs for sure.

I have no doubt that Hawthorn will improve as the season progresses but they may well have lost their aura of intimidation. The Saints and Dogs clearly went into their match ups with the Hawks with no doubts about their ability to win. At this stage there is not a likely finalist who couldn't knock the favs out of September. Adelaide,Sydney and Geelong are all capable of saluting. West Coast and North would struggle to beat the Hawks at the G but may not have to. It's definitely wide open.

It's been a great season, not many predictable results really.
I thought Geelong and Hawthorn would win comfortably yesterday but they were pushed all the way.
I think there will be more upsets this season.

Too early. Wayyyy too early.

From the OP clubs:

Geelong > Hawthorn > West Coast
Hawthorn > Western Bulldogs
North Melbourne > Adelaide > Sydney

Not even David King could draw correlations from that.

Essendon > Melbourne > GWS > Geelong > Hawthorn

You know it makes sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most certainly. Been calling it for quite some time. So many teams in for the flag: Hawks, Eagles, Swans, Roos, Crows, Cats Bulldogs. So many teams in for the eight: Dockers, Tigers, Power, Suns, Giants Cats (again), Saints (watch this space)

Still firmly believe North Melbourne will be premiers. Lovely balanced list where there aren't a small group of A+ players carrying the load.

It's only early, and to be honest, threads like this get started every year when a few teams 'look good early on'. I can guarantee the two teams with runs on the board will feature deep into September; Hawthorn & Sydney. Sure Sydney lost a thriller last night but I can't go past them finishing top 3 with their list. Hawthorn are Hawthorn, they find away to win and their opponents don't have an edge on the big stage in big games. The list hasn't changed much and they'll build into the season like they always do. They've also knocked off two top 4 contenders this year.

I wouldn't be putting Adelaide, WB, or North in front of West Coast. They'll win most of their games in Perth, and be top 4. North, WB, and Adelaide will tough it out for 4th. I think Adelaide will finish 4th, they look more advanced than North or WB, have a clear home advantage, better forward line, better midfield, and more X factor.

Whilst it is an open season with lots of teams 'looking good' I won't go past this;

Hawthorn or Sydney - can't split them. My safe bet for a flag.

West Coast - Not as confident putting $$$ on them, but confident they'll get to a prelim minimum with their HG advantage. That very advantage may see them make a GF. Can they win at the G? Not against Hawks, maybe against Swans.

Adelaide - Smoky.

Most certainly. Been calling it for quite some time. So many teams in for the flag: Hawks, Eagles, Swans, Roos, Crows, Cats Bulldogs. So many teams in for the eight: Dockers, Tigers, Power, Suns, Giants Cats (again), Saints (watch this space)

Still firmly believe North Melbourne will be premiers. Lovely balanced list where there aren't a small group of A+ players carrying the load.

I like your thinking. They are balanced, but I think they'll be contending with a Hawthorn outfit far too strong at the business end of the year, and Sydney with plenty of flag winning talent.

I have no doubt that Hawthorn will improve as the season progresses but they may well have lost their aura of intimidation. The Saints and Dogs clearly went into their match ups with the Hawks with no doubts about their ability to win. At this stage there is not a likely finalist who couldn't knock the favs out of September. Adelaide,Sydney and Geelong are all capable of saluting. West Coast and North would struggle to beat the Hawks at the G but may not have to. It's definitely wide open.
But in September i can't see Hodge, Mitchell, Gibson, Burgoyne, Lewis, Rioli, Roughead, Gunston, Breust, or Hill missing a beat. There a 10 players that will influence any game for the better. No other side has that. No one.

Seems we say this every year, never turns out that way. Anyone can look brilliant 4 rounds in (except Richmond seemingly), but it's when it gets into June/July, pre-season effects have started to wear off and the real slog comes that teams real levels are found out.

I'm tipping we'll still get a 17+ win team and have a top 5 that is locked away 3 games from the end of the season

I get the north age thing, but what's Adelaides problem?
There isn't one. They may win it this year, if not I'll be saying 2017 the cup goes back to South Australia 20 years after their first one everything going according to plan. List (tick), game plan (tick) home ground advantage (tick) leadership (tick) resources (tick).

All about the crows in 2017!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back