Covers that are better than the original ...

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what every Foo fighters song should sound like.

That's probably my favorite FF song and I must say that's a damn fine cover. Docked a couple of points for the number of overtly hipster participants and the flog taking a selfie at about 3:20 in.

That's probably my favorite FF song and I must say that's a damn fine cover. Docked a couple of points for the number of overtly hipster participants and the flog taking a selfie at about 3:20 in.

It does sound better than it looks, with the exception of some eye candy I spose.

^ Pretty sure I've posted this elsewhere in the thread.

Not "better than the original" IMO, but a pretty cool cover all the same.

(Btw, not stalking you, Rob.)

And on the flipside of the foreign-language covers equation, here's Portastatic (Mac from Superchunk's side-band) doing a neat cover of Caetano Veloso's "Baby"....

Always loved the John Cale original, but I'm going to be so heathenous as to suggest that this version by Channels is the superior beast. The song just sounds better to me when stripped of Cale's quirkiness and given a more po-faced treatment. But I'm sure there'd be plenty of others who would disagree.

(For the uninitiated, Channels are a US band led by J.Robbins, a music producer of considerable note with a massive list of credits to his name, and the ex-frontman for some highly decent bands in the form of Jawbox and Burning Airlines.)

And just for shits and giggles, here's a looser, more energetic reading of the song from everyone's favourite lefty troubadour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RZ Francesco de Gregori does some amazing Dylan Covers. He does a great version of Desolation Row, and of With God on Our Side from A Nod to Bob, a tribute album made for Dylan's 60th b'day. i would have put that up if I'd found it but I didn't so this is another great cover from that record:

I thought I'd posted this already, but I can't see it. Its Chris Wilson, Melbourne music legend covering John Prine, and in the comments Erle Montagu (controversial martial arts teacher while he was alive and still I think,) makes an appearance. Small world.

Excellent ferball.

Used to see Chris Wilson at The Rainbow, sometimes with the great Geoff Achison in tow. Good night's and I love those little pub gigs. You could sink a pot and the musos would sit right down with and have a chat and a beer after a set.

May as well post something while I'm here.

This is a cool cover of Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines by FriedLamas.

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=HyEFRCPhZP4

Edit: ducking mobile won't let me embed it, so I'll come back and fix it up when I'm on the pc.

Grogg that was definitely better than the original. I enjoyed it but I don't think much of the original.

I've been watching Chris Wilson since the 80s. All over Melbourne, pretty sure I've seen him at the rainbow in the 90s, with Shane O'Mara. Amazing Musician. First Saw Geoff at the Windsor castle with Dutch Tilders ... that was probably in the 80s too.

I was in Melbourne over Christmas and they both played at the Corner Hotel on Boxing Day. Its a regular thing. Will definitely be there if I'm down that way next christmas. Great people. Last year a mate's girlfriend died from breast cancer - too young - 46. Not long before she died she went and saw Geoff and he took her onto the stage and serenaded her.

Here's another couple of Melbourne musos - Dan Warner and Al McInnes - covering nervous Norvous' The Fang. I've never heard the original but I love this song.

It's my thread and I'll change if it I want to.

Not a cover per se, but a brilliant mash-up of two tracks.

Excellent ferball.

Used to see Chris Wilson at The Rainbow, sometimes with the great Geoff Achison in tow. Good night's and I love those little pub gigs. You could sink a pot and the musos would sit right down with and have a chat and a beer after a set.

May as well post something while I'm here.

This is a cool cover of Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines by FriedLamas.

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=HyEFRCPhZP4

Edit: ducking mobile won't let me embed it, so I'll come back and fix it up when I'm on the pc.

The last two Boxing Day eves we've seen the Chris Wilson Band, the Geoff Achison band and the combined bands perform three sets of great rock and blues at the Corner. They'll probably be there again this year and so will we. The best way to spend a Boxing Day night.

The last two Boxing Day eves we've seen the Chris Wilson Band, the Geoff Achison band and the combined bands perform three sets of great rock and blues at the Corner. They'll probably be there again this year and so will we. The best way to spend a Boxing Day night.

So you were there a couple of months ago as well. Great gig wasn't it.

So you were there a couple of months ago as well. Great gig wasn't it.

Yes, I wouldn't miss it. And it's, what, about $30 to get in for 3 or 4 hours of great music? I go there with two other diehard Roos fans who love their music (and a few beers).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back