Covers that are better than the original ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, I wouldn't miss it. And it's, what, about $30 to get in for 3 or 4 hours of great music? I go there with two other diehard Roos fans who love their music (and a few beers).

I think it was 20 or 25? I did my knee dancing... If I'm down that way next Christmas I'll definitely be there. If not then the following year... (They've done that gig for a long time haven't they?) so we should catch up at one of those gigs.

I think it was 20 or 25? I did my knee dancing... If I'm down that way next Christmas I'll definitely be there. If not then the following year... (They've done that gig for a long time haven't they?) so we should catch up at one of those gigs.

Yes, we will catch up if you're going to be down this way this year. It's a fantastic night and it's been going for a few years. I used to think the Boxing Day test match was the highlight of the day. Now, I'm not so sure. I've been to the last 2 Boxing Day Eve concerts at the corner but I don't know how many I've missed or if it's the same bands every year. I especially like the female bass player. She's a legend.

Yes, we will catch up if you're going to be down this way this year. It's a fantastic night and it's been going for a few years. I used to think the Boxing Day test match was the highlight of the day. Now, I'm not so sure. I've been to the last 2 Boxing Day Eve concerts at the corner but I don't know how many I've missed or if it's the same bands every year. I especially like the female bass player. She's a legend.

Its dependent on the in laws. Have missed 2 Chrissies in a row to go down to Melbourne to see my family. 3 in a row might be pushing it.

I found this video from 2002.

Whoever posted it in 2013 said it was to celebrate 10 years of Boxing Day Blues. Makes me think 2002 - the gig this is from - was the first year those 2 did it. Thats the year Daniel Wells was drafted.

Only just discovered this thread...

Im guessing The White Stripes cover of Jolene has already been posted, but here's CW Stoneking doing a great reworking of 7 Nation Army

Not sure if this one's been posted as yet, but it's a great version of Higher love by James Vincent McMorrow

and M. Wards cover of David Bowie's Let's dance

Only just discovered this thread...

Im guessing The White Stripes cover of Jolene has already been posted, but here's CW Stoneking doing a great reworking of 7 Nation Army

Not sure if this one's been posted as yet, but it's a great version of Higher love by James Vincent McMorrow

and M. Wards cover of David Bowie's Let's dance

Great call on James Vincent McMorrow, I'm absolutely addicted to his music.

Its dependent on the in laws. Have missed 2 Chrissies in a row to go down to Melbourne to see my family. 3 in a row might be pushing it.

I found this video from 2002.

Whoever posted it in 2013 said it was to celebrate 10 years of Boxing Day Blues. Makes me think 2002 - the gig this is from - was the first year those 2 did it. Thats the year Daniel Wells was drafted.

Chris introduces Kerrie Simpson as the first lady of Blues in Melbourne, followed by "c'mon Kerrie, get your arse up here!" In 2014 he was introducing the band and asking them to solo and he came to one of the female singers (might have been Kerrie) and she was standing there with a triangle. After she'd exhausted all her chops on the triangle (in about 10 seconds) she turned to Chris and said "you bastard." It's a lot of fun.

If you do decide to come down, let me know by a pm. We'll have a beer to celebrate our premiership win.

Chris introduces Kerrie Simpson as the first lady of Blues in Melbourne, followed by "c'mon Kerrie, get your arse up here!" In 2014 he was introducing the band and asking them to solo and he came to one of the female singers (might have been Kerrie) and she was standing there with a triangle. After she'd exhausted all her chops on the triangle (in about 10 seconds) she turned to Chris and said "you bastard." It's a lot of fun.

If you do decide to come down, let me know by a pm. We'll have a beer to celebrate our premiership win.

No worries.

something more obscure...
Any Will Oldham fans?
here's Will as Bonnie 'Prince' Billy covering his earlier nom de plume, Palace Music, and replacing the original tune's nervous loathing with a warm adult contemporary arrangement.

And Mark Kozelek covering Palace Music's "New Partner"

Last edited:
Many attempts by many artists, but this old (1974) version of House of the Rising Sun by Geordie, featuring Brian Johnson (AC/DC) on vocals still pretty fair :

Nice, Muttley.

My personal favourite version is this from Shawn Mullins, sung from a female perspective...

Studio version with band

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

something more obscure...
Any Will Oldham fans?

"Obscure"? Hmmm.

Anyways, yep, avowed fan right here.

Nothing beats the beauty of the Palace albums for me, but his solo career has been frequently superb, also.

Here's a couple of fine covers from his collab with Tortoise....

Love the original by the criminally under-acknowledged Richard Thompson, but really dig this version, too....

And their cover of Springsteen's "Thunder Road". Maybe not to everyone's taste, but I like it plenty....

Love the original by the criminally under-acknowledged Richard Thompson, but really dig this version, too....

have you heard the version Thompson does with Henry Kaiser on stage? Apparantly its the worst guitar solo eva!!!11!.

"Obscure"? Hmmm.

Anyways, yep, avowed fan right here.

Nothing beats the beauty of the Palace albums for me, but his solo career has been frequently superb, also.

Here's a couple of fine covers from his collab with Tortoise....

And their cover of Springsteen's "Thunder Road". Maybe not to everyone's taste, but I like it plenty....

Agreed, Aside from the overblown synth intro, I love that version of thunder road (favourite song from that album), was going to post it but figured it might be a bit of Will Oldham overkill if there is such a thing.

have you heard the version Thompson does with Henry Kaiser on stage? Apparantly its the worst guitar solo eva!!!11!.

I have now. And to quote one of the youtube comments on the clip, my ears are bleeding. Particularly when you juxtapose that atrocity to music with Thompson's exquisite finger-picking work just prior. The real mystery is how did Rich avoid clocking him over the head with his guitar?

And now let us never speak of this again.

Wouldn't say better than the original but Ninja Sex Party (NSP)[Musical Comedy Band] are doing a cover album at the moment and it's an interesting alternative to the original.

Blank Space from Ryan Adams' cover album of Taylor Swift's 1989

And for giggles, Father John Misty's response to the Adams' cover album..... Blank Space in the style of The Velvet Underground

^ Cool. I think I posted their 100,000 Morrisseys in the Basia thread a few years ago. Here is their sensitive treatment of Kate's Wuthering Heights.

I'm not sure if that is recorded at the Evelyn in Fitzroy. If so, there's half a chance that I'm there in the crowd. see see might have been there too.

Extra points for the album being titled "The Unbearable Lightness of Being a Dickhead". :thumbsu:

^ Cool. I think I posted their 100,000 Morrisseys in the Basia thread a few years ago. Here is their sensitive treatment of Kate's Wuthering Heights.

I'm not sure if that is recorded at the Evelyn in Fitzroy. If so, there's half a chance that I'm there in the crowd. see see might have been there too.

Extra points for the album being titled "The Unbearable Lightness of Being a Dickhead". :thumbsu:

More than likely I was there. Pretty sure I saw them at the Tote a couple of times too. I had 100,000 Morrissey's on vinyl - the label had a picture of a guy doing something unspeakable to a pig, with the caption "Meat is good". On the topic of unspeakable acts, too bad a sibling of mine unilaterally decided to sell off my vinyl collection while I was living overseas a few years ago. I'd be more than happy to give that sibling's left nut for a copy of Painters & Dockers "Bucket" on green vinyl. The Other Dean ?

More than likely I was there. Pretty sure I saw them at the Tote a couple of times too. I had 100,000 Morrissey's on vinyl - the label had a picture of a guy doing something unspeakable to a pig, with the caption "Meat is good". On the topic of unspeakable acts, too bad a sibling of mine unilaterally decided to sell off my vinyl collection while I was living overseas a few years ago. I'd be more than happy to give that sibling's left nut for a copy of Painters & Dockers "Bucket" on green vinyl. The Other Dean ?

No need to re-write history. It was the act of a female sibling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back