Cricket journalist Malcolm Knox wants to ban the bouncer

Remove this Banner Ad

Greens concussion had nothing to do with helmets or bouncers.He was his by a ball hit back at him.
A totally stupid assessment.
Pukovski hasbeen concussed ,they say nine times, I assume from hits to the helmet.This smacks of a frailty and lack of technique in his batting,
To ban the bouncer is total stupidity.
It will soon become like the AFL, some one get hit, change the rules.
How about we teach kids how to bat as youngsters.Stop the circus cricket.It is the bain of the game.I know it helps keep the game alive, but teaches poor technique.

I've never cared for limited overs games (except maybe big finals) and I despise 20/20. The evidence is everywhere. It's McCricket. Apart from two things - batsmen learning how to hit sixes better (insane bat technology has helped) and fielding standards - I don't see any other benefit. Except shorten the attention span of would be fans.

I've never cared for limited overs games (except maybe big finals) and I despise 20/20. The evidence is everywhere. It's McCricket. Apart from two things - batsmen learning how to hit sixes better (insane bat technology has helped) and fielding standards - I don't see any other benefit. Except shorten the attention span of would be fans.
And destroy the techniques of top order batsmen.

It's not much of a mystery. They're simply not really designed to prevent concussions. Cricket isn't unique in that, other sports like Ice Hockey and Cycling helmets have the same issue, and it's very hard issue to solve. Helmets were there for skull fractures, etc, and concussions are caused in a different way to those. This is a basic article that explains the issue: https://qbi.uq.edu.au/concussion/do-helmets-protect-against-concussion
From the article
However, the growing concussion crisis has led some researchers to try to limit rotational forces as well, with helmet manufacturers now looking to incorporate elements that slide against each other upon impact.
I'm guessing this article is a few years old. I recently bought a flash new helmet for mtbiking that incorporates this kind of system and I'd be interested to know if cricket helmets are using similar systems.
See here https://mipsprotection.com/ for a primer of what I'm talking about. Banning the bouncer is a non-starter but clearly cricket needs to get serious about reducing concussions.

For every player that gets hit on the helmet I would guess less than 50% have concussion. Precautions are now taken by the doctors to ensure that player gets some time off whether they actually have concussion or not yet it is sold to the public they have concussion. Hence now they have convinced the public that being struck on the helmet by a bouncer is instant concussion.
If someone like pukosvki has had 9 concussion then maybe this is not the right sport for him? We don’t change the rules for him or anyone else .
The bouncer is vital to a bowlers arsenal, and batsman need to learn how to play it. Unfortunately we have decided in all sports to try and remove all danger for kids as they learn how to play sport from ages 5-13. By the time they get to start playing the real sport they are simply not equipped to deal with it.
Coaches used to throw us bounces in the nets at age 10 so we learnt how to play short bowling, that Would be unheard of now.
If you can’t play short pitch bowling then you will get yourself in trouble and rightfully so the sport will spit you out if you don’t find a way. I have seen many a good front foot player not make it because of their failure to deal with their weakness.

Partridge, they hit big sixes, but the boundaries are well short of what they should be.
Yep some go a long way, but as you say that is due to the tree trunk blades they use.

We saw evidence of your last sentence of this in the thread for the Test Match. Pujara, head down building a Test innings and some posters simply could not handle the lack of sixes and wickets. The game was too dull for them.

I'm with you, I don't like T20, never have and probably never will. That doesn't matter though, they don't need me liking it. Every year I try to like it, watch the first game, but rarely go back for another. I guess I dislike seeing mistimed top edges floating over the truncated boundary line for six instead of being caught.

Speaking of truncated boundary lines, each year in the local cricket, the boundaries keep getting shorter and shorter. I was looking at my local club on Saturday, and the boundary is now in at least 20 metres closer to the pitch than it used to be. Not a lot of fun for spinners.

The whole point is to hit them in the head with a 150 km/h projectile. If it's to keep someone back in the crease you can achieve the same thing aiming for the top of their chest.

The whole point is to hit them in the head with a 150 km/h projectile. If it's to keep someone back in the crease you can achieve the same thing aiming for the top of their chest.

You actually think they can aim one bouncer at the chest another at the head?

You sound like one of those people who think cops should aim for a guys leg when he is charging them with a knife, a bouncer is a bouncer its aimed at upsetting the footwork or if lucky taking the glove or bat you cant say ok this one im going to surely hit the head the next will surely hit his chest.

You actually think they can aim one bouncer at the chest another at the head?

You sound like one of those people who think cops should aim for a guys leg when he is charging them with a knife, a bouncer is a bouncer its aimed at upsetting the footwork or if lucky taking the glove or bat you cant say ok this one im going to surely hit the head the next will surely hit his chest.

Don't bowl it in the region of the head if you don't want to hit someone in the head. Otherwise I will assume they are aiming the 150 km/h at their skull.

I suppose if Phil Hughes needless death isn't going to stop fast bowlers from aim the ball at skulls then nothing will stop it.

so why are batsman allowed to smack the ball in the air with these over powered bats?

many injuries and sometimes fatalities at lower levels are actually umpires struck by the ball hit by the batsman, umpires tend to be older and slower with poorer reaction times so are more likely to be struck so why not call for modern bats to be banned if they have that sort of deadly power?

Martin Bedkober, a one time flat mate of Jeff Thomson, was hit in the chest just above the heart and killed in a Brisbane grade game.

There will always be a risk out on the cricket field, albeit very minute. You won't be able to eliminate it.

so why are batsman allowed to smack the ball in the air with these over powered bats?

many injuries and sometimes fatalities at lower levels are actually umpires struck by the ball hit by the batsman, umpires tend to be older and slower with poorer reaction times so are more likely to be struck so why not call for modern bats to be banned if they have that sort of deadly power?
The intent is to hit the ball to the boundary not aim for the person's skull like a fast bowler does when bowling a bouncer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The intent is to hit the ball to the boundary not aim for the person's skull like a fast bowler does when bowling a bouncer.

Sorry mate, I rarely say this to anyone but you seriously have NFI. Find another sport, you obviously have no understanding nor appreciation for cricket.

We saw evidence of your last sentence of this in the thread for the Test Match. Pujara, head down building a Test innings and some posters simply could not handle the lack of sixes and wickets. The game was too dull for them.

I'm with you, I don't like T20, never have and probably never will. That doesn't matter though, they don't need me liking it. Every year I try to like it, watch the first game, but rarely go back for another. I guess I dislike seeing mistimed top edges floating over the truncated boundary line for six instead of being caught.

Speaking of truncated boundary lines, each year in the local cricket, the boundaries keep getting shorter and shorter. I was looking at my local club on Saturday, and the boundary is now in at least 20 metres closer to the pitch than it used to be. Not a lot of fun for spinners.
The thing that sours me on T20 is that 90% of games fall into two scripts. Big bashing session with boundary after boundary or one side gets skittled. There is never any momentum shifts or drama and it feels more like watching sprints at the Olympics or something than cricket to me. Is easy to overlook when it's a short carnival atmosphere but when they blew out the BBL to a full league the lack of variability in the matches became impossible to ignore for me.

From the article

I'm guessing this article is a few years old. I recently bought a flash new helmet for mtbiking that incorporates this kind of system and I'd be interested to know if cricket helmets are using similar systems.
See here https://mipsprotection.com/ for a primer of what I'm talking about. Banning the bouncer is a non-starter but clearly cricket needs to get serious about reducing concussions.
Can you first confirm that concussions are occurring at increasing rates?

The thing that sours me on T20 is that 90% of games fall into two scripts. Big bashing session with boundary after boundary or one side gets skittled. There is never any momentum shifts or drama and it feels more like watching sprints at the Olympics or something than cricket to me. Is easy to overlook when it's a short carnival atmosphere but when they blew out the BBL to a full league the lack of variability in the matches became impossible to ignore for me.

Unfortunately the games take so long too. They used to be strict about getting 20 overs in within 90 minutes. 15 minute intermission between innings is a momentum killer as well. It would be like a long half time during the middle of the 5th innings at a baseball game.

Can you first confirm that concussions are occurring at increasing rates?

cricket australia, as far as I know, no longer publishes their annual injury report. the 2017 injury report notes: https://www.cricketaustralia.com.au...-/media/B93BFC34F725485FA35E7A540089DBE8.ashx

"Concussion and hamstring injuries had the highest incidence with 8.3 new injuries / 100 players / year respectively. Concussion incidence has increased consistently in the past three seasons, from 2.2 (2014/15) to 4.4 (2015/16) and 8.3 (2016/17) new injuries / 100 players / year."

Since there were 3 concussions in a week this season, I would think it's fair to project that the number of 8 is on track to be met.

Prior to 2014, concussion was not included as it's own category in the injury report, although a recommendation was made for it to be a new category: "concussion needs a separate category for political reasons.

Yes, I agree. 20 overs a side only rarely allows for that, if ever.

Forgetting first-class cricket (where those shifts can regularly occur - most recent example the First Test), even the ODI format at 50 overs per side allows for those sorts of momentum changes often enough.

Lawson's view. I guess it could be dismissed as coming from a fast bowler, but he did cop a pretty significant blow himself against the Windies.

I like his point about India and Conway. What's the point of having a law in place if the umpires are too weak and spineless to enforce it?

Here's the law stating in what circumstances the bowling is considered "dangerous" and/or "unfair".

And this doesn't even take into account the fact that the India-Conway scenario occurred late at night, with a pink ball - which even accomplished batsmen can struggle with at times.

41.6 Bowling of dangerous and unfair short pitched deliveries

41.6.1 The bowling of short pitched deliveries is dangerous if the bowler’s end umpire considers that, taking into consideration the skill of the striker, by their speed, length, height and direction they are likely to inflict physical injury on him/her. The fact that the striker is wearing protective equipment shall be disregarded.

well of course dangerous bowling should be enforced, but it's too hard, so it's not.

when this topic came up last time during the 2017-18 Ashes, it was met with widespread mockery of the english voices raising it
Yes, it's a wider problem, this is just the latest example of it.

Lawson's view. I guess it could be dismissed as coming from a fast bowler, but he did cop a pretty significant blow himself against the Windies.

I like his point about India and Conway. What's the point of having a law in place if the umpires are too weak and spineless to enforce it?

Here's the law stating in what circumstances the bowling is considered "dangerous" and/or "unfair".

And this doesn't even take into account the fact that the India-Conway scenario occurred late at night, with a pink ball - which even accomplished batsmen can struggle with at times.

41.6 Bowling of dangerous and unfair short pitched deliveries

41.6.1 The bowling of short pitched deliveries is dangerous if the bowler’s end umpire considers that, taking into consideration the skill of the striker, by their speed, length, height and direction they are likely to inflict physical injury on him/her. The fact that the striker is wearing protective equipment shall be disregarded.

Umpires were enforcing this at A grade level 30 years ago, you simply could not bombard a tail end batsman with short pitch bowling if it was deemed he could not look after himself.
As the decades have moved on most tailenders not all can handle the bat ok and look after themselves, but even the ones that can are still suspect simply because of batting technique.
But here is where the problem lies, the bowlers keep it in the batsmans half of the wicket and start getting runs scored against them, can't find the edge, can't get through the defense then inevitably shorter bowling will occur.
So it's like we will keep it up to you as we know you can't play short bowling, but don't you dare start scoring runs. If you do then the gloves are off.

I am more concerned why so many top order batsman are struggling with short pitched bowling, Lawson's article is a good article. Their technique is flawed and it is not really their own fault. They are being raised on batting highways for the most part, bowlers are limited to how much short bowling can occur. They simply don't see it that much. And when a bowler gets one in the right spot at pace they unfortunately are at risk of being hit.

Not sure how it can be fixed to be honest.

Umpires were enforcing this at A grade level 30 years ago, you simply could not bombard a tail end batsman with short pitch bowling if it was deemed he could not look after himself.
As the decades have moved on most tailenders not all can handle the bat ok and look after themselves, but even the ones that can are still suspect simply because of batting technique.
But here is where the problem lies, the bowlers keep it in the batsmans half of the wicket and start getting runs scored against them, can't find the edge, can't get through the defense then inevitably shorter bowling will occur.
So it's like we will keep it up to you as we know you can't play short bowling, but don't you dare start scoring runs. If you do then the gloves are off.

I am more concerned why so many top order batsman are struggling with short pitched bowling, Lawson's article is a good article. Their technique is flawed and it is not really their own fault. They are being raised on batting highways for the most part, bowlers are limited to how much short bowling can occur. They simply don't see it that much. And when a bowler gets one in the right spot at pace they unfortunately are at risk of being hit.

Not sure how it can be fixed to be honest.
Plus they live in the days of helmets, which give them a sense of security.

Top order players didn't get hit too much when I was following the game as a kid (including those who hooked eg Stackpole, Ian Chappell), you had to know what you were doing against the short ball else you were in big trouble.

The Conway situation was basically short pitched bowling from the outset. That would surely qualify for application of the law.

But I agree, what does the bowler do if the tailender starts scoring runs? He'd surely need some leeway then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back